Re: Questions about reflux stills

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26, 2009
      Welcome,

      I was a newbie here myself about 18 months ago and it is purely
      through the much appreciated help of the very experienced guys on
      this site that i now (safely) enjoy the fruits of my own still.

      I built the Bokakob still and continue to get excellent results from
      it.
      Pic:
      pic/list

      Mine is slightly larger than the original plans posted here. The 33"
      column is 2.5" stainless steel (only because it was the only large
      bore pipe i could find) and i have eventually changed the packing
      for 30" of rolled-up copper mesh. I started with stainless pot
      scrubbers but the copper gives a better tasting product (you have to
      have some copper in the vapour flow!). The condenser sits on top of
      this and adds another 9". I made my condenser as a separate piece
      and welded a larger diameter tube to the top of the column that it
      slots into. It made welding the take-off tubes easier.
      I also started with a 5L boiler (stock pot) and have now upgraded to
      a 25L ex-army stainless stock pot but that required a gas burner to
      heat it as the electric hob i started with wasn't powerful enough.
      I MIG welded the column to the lid of the stock pot (stainless wire
      and Argon CO2 gas). If i had the choice though i would like to have
      a copper column, just can't justify the cost of 2" copper pipe.
      The coils in the condenser i made by filling small-bore copper pipe
      with salt (to stop the pipe collapsing during bending) and wrapping
      it very carefully around a brush handle - instant coils!

      The take-off pipe is carefully welded stainless which i attach a tap
      to when it's running to control flow.

      If you intend to use copper all through, the pipes and take-off are
      easier to fit as you can use lead-free solder and a blow-torch to
      attach them. You could also make the column and condenser in one
      piece.

      Hope this helps. Ask away if you need to know anything specific.

      Cheers,

      Andy

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "keeperoftoast"