Re: qustion how do u ferment unmalted cracked corn

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25, 2009
      Michael,

      To ferment feedstore cracked corn, you first need to gelatinize it,
      essentially to cook the starches until they are available to the
      starch-converting enzymes, whether those enzymes come from some kind
      of malted grain, or from bottled enzymes.

      To do this, I bring 6 gallons of water to a boil (over propane), add
      10 pounds cracked corn, and immediately turn down the heat and stir
      like crazy, both to keep from scorching, until the temperature hits
      212F (100C). Thinking that temperature, not boiling, is all we need, I
      turn the fire off and cover the (covered) cooker with towels, and let
      it sit at about 212F for an hour, during which time it gets REALLY thick.

      Add cold water to cool the mixture to ~152F (optimal starch conversion
      temp) and stir in either the malt or 1tsp bottled enzymes. Cover again
      and wait for another 1-2 hours. (To figure how much of what kind of
      malt to add is another subject)

      Add enough cold water to lower the temperature to yeast-pitching
      temperature, pitch the yeast, and Bob's your uncle.

      I hope this helps.

      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller