valved reflux Vs internal reflux

  • harpie72@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
      im working towards making my first still, and need some advice on the
      valved reflux model. i live with my uncle, and while hes fine with what
      im doing, hes worried about utility bill costs, more specifically water
      use, as his water supply is off a well. how much water is needed for
      the valved reflux in order to make a brew. also would like to know
      where to get the 2 and 3 inch copper tube so that i can price things
      up. i live in uk, and have tried major local plumbing supplies with no
      joy. any help would be welcome
    • atrrepair
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
        Try to find someone that does large comercial plumbing. Any apartment
        building over 12 Units or large office building will have at least 2"
        main lines. I found my 3" at a scrap yard just as the people were off
      • dougindouglas
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 22, 2009
          Thanks to other posters here I found all my copper on ebay- just
          search "copper pipe" they ship anywhere. Also, if you can weld,
          stainless exhaust pipe is fairly cheap. Mines a combination of both,
          and it's finally coming together!

          Doug

          - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harpie72@..." <harpie72@...>
          wrote:

          > im working towards making my first still, and need some advice on the
          > valved reflux model. i live with my uncle, and while hes fine with
          what
          > im doing, hes worried about utility bill costs, more specifically
          water
          > use, as his water supply is off a well. how much water is needed for
          > the valved reflux in order to make a brew. also would like to know
          > where to get the 2 and 3 inch copper tube so that i can price things
          > up. i live in uk, and have tried major local plumbing supplies with
          no
          > joy. any help would be welcome

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 23, 2009
            > - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harpie72@" <harpie72@>
            > wrote:
            i live with my uncle, and while hes fine with what im doing, hes
            worried about utility bill costs, more specifically water use, as his
            water supply is off a well. how much water is needed for the valved
            reflux in order to make a brew.

            The condenser coil for this type of rig is very efficient. Depending
            on the Wattage/power your putting to the boiler you only need to run
            the cooling water at a trickle. I have run mine as slow as 300ml/min
            and the exit water is barely warm. I too am using well water.
            If this is a concern you should look into building the X flow
            condenser. It will easily run off of a recirculation pond pump.
            http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/BAPHS/index.htm

            Mason
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 23, 2009

              > The condenser coil for this type of rig is very efficient. Depending
              > on the Wattage/power your putting to the boiler you only need to run
              > the cooling water at a trickle. I have run mine as slow as
              300ml/min
              > and the exit water is barely warm. I too am using well water.
              > If this is a concern you should look into building the X flow
              > condenser. It will easily run off of a recirculation pond pump.
              > http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/BAPHS/index.htm
              >
              > Mason

              Thanks for the plug, Mason. :)

              It's worth mentioning that even your small water usage gets excessive
              where there's a total loss situation (where the water isn't saved but
              run to waste like some people do, straight down the sink).

              Your small usage: 300ml/min X 60min = 18 lt/hr X 7hr run = 126 litres

              You'd think these people who advocate this total loss style would at
              least capture the hot water discharge and repurpose it for the next
              mash. Save water, saves heat, saves money.

            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 23, 2009

                > Thanks for the plug, Mason. :)
                >
                > It's worth mentioning that even your small water usage gets excessive
                > where there's a total loss situation (where the water isn't saved but
                > run to waste like some people do, straight down the sink).
                >
                > Your small usage: 300ml/min X 60min = 18 lt/hr X 7hr run = 126 litres
                >
                > You'd think these people who advocate this total loss style would at
                > least capture the hot water discharge and repurpose it for the next
                > mash. Save water, saves heat, saves money.
                >

                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

                This is one of the reasons I chose to build the X flow. My last
                reflux run during the Christmas Break went 36 hours at that flow
                rate(maybe a tic less). That came to 540,000ml. 142 gallons of water
                on the ground. Very wasteful indeed. I channel it to a couple of
                fruit trees but there is still no excuse for that kind of misuse.

                Mason
              • S B
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 2, 2009
                  thanks for your help on my recent question, much appreciated