condenser

  • odysmells
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
      I am in the process of building my first still, just a boiler and
      condenser for now I will attempt a reflux tower later, and i have a
      question about the condenser. I am using 3/8" copper tubing to run
      the vapour in and a straight length, about 3 feet, of 3/4" copper
      tubing around that as the condenser. It is capped on both ends and
      there are fixtures on either end for the hot and cold water. Is 3
      feet long enough or maybe too long? If it is too short and the
      alchohol vapour is not condensing, is it possible to just increase
      the amount of cold water entering the tube to fix this? Also I am
      wondering if clear rubber siphoning hose is okay to use as a lyne
      arm.
    • timmur64
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 10, 2003
        I've just about completed the construction of a Nixon-Stone/offset
        head still and I have a question regarding the condenser. It is
        almost exactly the same as the one that matthewo_brien has posted pics
        of on this forum. The only difference is that I built mine with
        stainless dairy pipe and tri-clover connections. My question is
        regarding the condenser. I mistakenly bought 1/8" copper pipe instead
        of 3/16 that was recommended. I ended up using about 27' of the 1/8"
        tubing. It is coiled tightly and ends up being 12" long. Will it do an
        adequate job condensing? Thanks.
      • peter_vcb
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 11, 2003
          with 27ft you should be more than ok! mine is only about 9ft and can
          handle about 3.5kW

          -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 11, 2003
            Thanks. I was thinking that the surface area was more than enough,
            but that the flow of water might not be sufficient to exchange the
            heat from all of that surface area.
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "peter_vcb"
            <viciousblackout@y...> wrote:
            > with 27ft you should be more than ok! mine is only about 9ft and
            can
            > handle about 3.5kW
            >
            > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "timmur64" <timmur64@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > I've just about completed the construction of a Nixon-
            Stone/offset
            > > head still and I have a question regarding the condenser. It is
            > > almost exactly the same as the one that matthewo_brien has
            posted
            > pics
            > > of on this forum. The only difference is that I built mine with
            > > stainless dairy pipe and tri-clover connections. My question is
            > > regarding the condenser. I mistakenly bought 1/8" copper pipe
            > instead
            > > of 3/16 that was recommended. I ended up using about 27' of the
            > 1/8"
            > > tubing. It is coiled tightly and ends up being 12" long. Will it
            do
            > an
            > > adequate job condensing? Thanks.
          • PJ
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 11, 2003
              Hi,
              I'd just like to add my 2¢ to this.

              You are probably right in that 1/8" tubing offers a huge restance
              to the flow of cooling water. One of the things that you could do
              is reform your coil to a 4" length with a tripple helix configuration
              and a input & output manifold. The 1/8" tubing is very easily formed
              without much risk of deforming or kinking it. The idea I have in my
              mind is to have a tripple passageway for cooling. Each path would
              be only 9' in length. Also, you should direct your cooling water into
              the lines that go to the bottom of the coils - closest to the column
              and output from the top of the coil. This would not be much work to
              accomplish and would give what you need in the way of cooling needs.

              I've rambled a little bit and certainly hope you get the idea that
              I'm trying to present. If you need clarification, please let me know
              and I will post a picture of my condenser. I used 3/16" tubing in a
              tripple helix format. It will handle anything that I throw at it.
              The use of 1/8" tubing would not be much different.
              I hope this helps.
              PJ

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 11, 2003
                PJ, would you mind posting a pic of your condenser? Thanks.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 11, 2003
                  No problem at all..
                  Try this URL -
                  http://www.pjmuth.org/still/stilpix.htm
                  There are several pictures that will give you the general idea
                  of the way I configure the condenser. I did not take pictures
                  of the completed 2" condenser but the general idea can be seen
                  in the pictures of the 1-1/2" condenser. I'm really bad about
                  documentation of the progress I make throughout the development of
                  various units. The condensers use 3/16" tubing and perform very well.
                  There are 2 versions illustrated in the 1-1/2" unit. Please do not
                  confuse the 2 of them. (Just a point of explanation.)

                  I hope this helps.
                  PJ

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 11, 2003
> [...]
                    water
                    > > into
                    > > > the lines that go to the bottom of the coils - closest to the
                    > > column
                    > > > and output from the top of the coil. This would not be much
                    work
                    > > > accomplish and would give what you need in the way of cooling
                    > > needs.
                    > > >
                    > > > I've rambled a little bit and certainly hope you get the idea
                    > that
                    > > > I'm trying to present. If you need clarification, please let
                    me
                    > > know
                    > > > and I will post a picture of my condenser. I used 3/16" tubing
                    in
                    > > > tripple helix format. It will handle anything that I throw at
                    it.
                    > > > The use of 1/8" tubing would not be much different.

                  • funone57912004
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
                      ive been lurking for a while and im in the building process now(and i
                      must say thank you for all the info).i was
                      woundering the best way to bend my condenser(copper tubing) around a
                      1.250" copper pipe i tryed salt but seems to hard to get it to flow and
                      fill up my tubing(is there a trick to doing it?)so i dont kink the
                      tubing. oh yea its 3/8 copper tubing, any help? (also if i get the salt
                      in the tubing and fill it up what is the best way to get it out?)
                    • Larry
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
                        At 01:10 PM 11/15/2006, you wrote:
                        >woundering the best way to bend my condenser(copper tubing) around a
                        >1.250" copper pipe i tryed salt but seems to hard to get it to flow and
                        >fill up my tubing(is there a trick to doing it?)

                        You have a dry, straight piece of tubing, closed on the bottom, and you
                        pour granulated table salt into it until it stacks up to the top... what
                        could be more simple than that???

                        There must be something you didn't include in your post, like using
                        rock-salt or something.
                      • Andrew Bugal
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
                          Make sure the inside of the tube is completely dry so you do not get a build-up at some point inside the tube.  Crimp over one end of the tube.

                          When pouring the salt into the tube, tap the side of the tube every now and then to help it settle.  When filled, crimp the open end.

                          When done bending (by the way, good luck with 3/8-inch tube), cut off the crimped ends and soak the coil in a bucket of hot water to dissolve the salt.

                          Regards,

                          Bwyze

                          Larry <larry@...> wrote:
                          At 01:10 PM 11/15/2006, you wrote:
                          >woundering the best way to bend my condenser(copper tubing) around a
                          >1.250" copper pipe i tryed salt but seems to hard to get it to flow and
                          >fill up my tubing(is there a trick to doing it?)

                          You have a dry, straight piece of tubing, closed on the bottom, and you
                          pour granulated table salt into it until it stacks up to the top... what
                          could be more simple than that???

                          There must be something you didn't include in your post, like using
                          rock-salt or something.

                        • michael_fearn
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 15, 2006
                            The condenser coil i made was a little bit of a bugger to get the salt
                            cleared out of. I left it overnight with water pressure on one tube
                            but it failed to clear. I hit it with a propane torch until the water
                            inside flashed off to steam a few times and shortly there after it ran
                            through. Be very careful doing that though, has the potential for bad
                            burns.
                            Cheers,
                            Michael

                            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote:

                            > Make sure the inside of the tube is completely dry so you do not get
                            a build-up at some point inside the tube. Crimp over one end of the tube.

                            > When pouring the salt into the tube, tap the side of the tube
                            every now and then to help it settle. When filled, crimp the open end.

                            > When done bending (by the way, good luck with 3/8-inch tube), cut
                            off the crimped ends and soak the coil in a bucket of hot water to
                            dissolve the salt.

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Bwyze
                            >
                            > Larry <larry@...> wrote:
                            > At 01:10 PM 11/15/2006, you wrote:
                            > >woundering the best way to bend my condenser(copper tubing) around a
                            > >1.250" copper pipe i tryed salt but seems to hard to get it to flow and
                            > >fill up my tubing(is there a trick to doing it?)
                            >
                            > You have a dry, straight piece of tubing, closed on the bottom, and you
                            > pour granulated table salt into it until it stacks up to the top...
                            what
                            > could be more simple than that???
                            >
                            > There must be something you didn't include in your post, like using
                            > rock-salt or something.

                            http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

                          • Larry
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 16, 2006
                              At 10:48 PM 11/15/2006, you wrote:

                              >The condenser coil i made was a little bit of a bugger to get the salt
                              >cleared out of. I left it overnight with water pressure on one tube
                              >but it failed to clear. I hit it with a propane torch until the water
                              >inside flashed off to steam a few times and shortly there after it ran
                              >through. Be very careful doing that though, has the potential for bad burns.

                              Yeah... "How I Get The Salt IN" is a question you rarely hear.

                              In and Out while the tubing is still straight is the easy part. <grin>
                            • funone57912004
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 16, 2006
                                i think the problem was my tubing was not completely dry the little
                                salt i did get in came out in clumps(like it was wet). i hit the
                                tubing with a torch to dry it and im gonna try again. thanks guys