First results

  • erikstill
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 25, 2002
      Last Saturday I did a first run with my Nixon-Stone setup.
      A 30 Liter SS boiler (beer keg from Belgium) with a 2500 watt
      element. A 1200 mm cu column with 9 SS scrubbers 8 or 9 cm each
      (total height of scrubbers is 75 cm). After 75 minutes the
      temperature raise to 81,5 degrees C. This was the moment I regulated
      the power to 1600 Watt. In about 5 minutes the temp dropped to 80,1
      degrees C where it remained.
      After 10 minutes I started collecting and 5 minutes later the first
      75 ml was out. It stunk like nail polish remover. Then I started
      collecting small batches (250-350 ml with 91%-95% ABV) totally 2420
      ml in 2 hours and 40 minutes. The temperature climbed to 80,5
      degrees at this time. I think my thermometer is a bit of.

      QUESTION: I can't find a difference in smell and taste between these
      small batches (not the head or tails – they stink). I asked my wife
      to taste and smell but she didn't notice a difference either. It
      tastes a bit like Gin or Vodka but there is only a smell from alcohol
      as known from hospitals (my wife used to work there so she would
      know) . A bit sweet and a bit sharp and very-very strong but
      pleasant. Is this how it is supposed to be.

      After this the temperature climbed rapidly and I collected the tails -
      another 460 ml with 75% ABV – in 45 minutes (really slow dripping).

      I was surprised because I used a 25 Liter batch with 5 kg sugar
      (inverted with acid (citroenzuur in Dutch )), 0,5 Liter Jus d'orange,
      approx. 25 gram nutrient and 2 sachets (2*7gram) of bakers yeast.
      To give it some oxygen I used the shower to fill to 25 Liter and for
      the first 5 days I gave it a firm shake (30-60 seconds) - 3 times a
      day.
      Nothing special, but it took 18 days before it reached SG 0.996, and
      I let it rest for 2 days to let the yeast go to the bottom.

      QUESTION: Has anyone experience with bakers yeast and the time it
      takes to completely ferment the wash.

      This was my first run and maybe its better to use turbo yeast or
      Lalvin (can't find it in Holland) but I didn't want to use the
      expensive yeast like Dynamite (EUR 5,50 +-US$ 4,80 for 22 liter batch
      17% ABV) for my first run.

      Thank to all,
      Erik
    • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 25, 2002
        Erik,

        Sounds like an excellent result, particularly for a first run. Great yield
        from the sugar, and a clean high purity product. Question about the column
        though - if its 1200mm tall, howcome you've only packed 750mm of it ? The
        taller the height of packing, the purer the product will be, and less reflux
        will be needed. The extra space in there won't be doing anything for you.
        Regarding the lack of any difference in smell through the middle of the run
        - sounds about normal. I only really notice the change at the end, as the
        tails start to come through. I think different stills respond differently
        regarding this.

        Tony
      • erik still
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 25, 2002
          Hi Tony,

          The first time I packed about 1100 mm from the (1200
          mm) column and did a testrun with water. The output
          was less then 1,5 liter/hour. So when using a standard
          reflux ratio I would get only +- 0,38 liter/hour. In
          order to be on the save side I removed some packing
          and take the purity for granted this first time.
          On bob lennon�s stillmaker site
          (http://www.moonshine-still.com) the column of the
          valved reflux still is 28�, so I thought my 750 mm
          packing would do fine the first time.
          If you are talking about purity, do you mean %ABV, or
          do you also mean the presence of cogeners, aldehydes,
          aminos and fusil oils?

          I have a second batch with plain sugar and bakers
          yeast, and its looks as if its going to take at least
          15 days before it's completely fermented (the first
          one took 18 days). What is the experience with bakers
          yeast and the time it takes to ferment 5kg of sugar in
          a 25 Liter batch?

          Kind regards,

          Erik.

          --- "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"
          <Tony.Ackland@...> wrote:
          > Erik,
          >
          > Sounds like an excellent result, particularly for a
          > first run. Great yield
          > from the sugar, and a clean high purity product.
          > Question about the column
          > though - if its 1200mm tall, howcome you've only
          > packed 750mm of it ? The
          > taller the height of packing, the purer the product
          > will be, and less reflux
          > will be needed. The extra space in there won't be
          > doing anything for you.
          > Regarding the lack of any difference in smell
          > through the middle of the run
          > - sounds about normal. I only really notice the
          > change at the end, as the
          > tails start to come through. I think different
          > stills respond differently
          > regarding this.
          >
          > Tony

          Yahoo! Movies - coverage of the 74th Academy Awards�
          http://movies.yahoo.com/
        • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
            Erik,

            > The first time I packed about 1100 mm from the (1200
            > mm) column and did a testrun with water. The output
            > was less then 1,5 liter/hour. So when using a standard
            > reflux ratio I would get only +- 0,38 liter/hour. In
            > order to be on the save side I removed some packing
            > and take the purity for granted this first time.

            Water will always distill over much slower than alcohol, as it requires more
            energy to vapourise - 2260 J per mL, whereas alcohol is only 675 J/mL -
            three times smaller. So a water-only run is good to clean the still with,
            and test for leaks, but to determine what your reflux ratio is/needs to be -
            you need to have alcohol present.

            > On bob lennon's stillmaker site
            > (http://www.moonshine-still.com) the column of the
            > valved reflux still is 28", so I thought my 750 mm
            > packing would do fine the first time.

            yeah - 750mm is still ok, but thats why its only at 91%, not faster and at
            95%
            By all means, play around and find out what all the different combinations
            of your column will do. I'm just anticipating that you'll be further
            impressed as you pack it out to its full potential.

            > If you are talking about purity, do you mean %ABV, or
            > do you also mean the presence of cogeners, aldehydes,
            > aminos and fusil oils?

            Both

            > I have a second batch with plain sugar and bakers
            > yeast, and its looks as if its going to take at least
            > 15 days before it's completely fermented (the first
            > one took 18 days). What is the experience with bakers
            > yeast and the time it takes to ferment 5kg of sugar in
            > a 25 Liter batch?

            I've had to leave it a fortnight or so to fully ferment - so yours looks
            about the same. It depends a bit too on how much yeast you use as well.

            Tony
          • zwick
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2002
              erikstill wrote:

              > Last Saturday I did a first run with my Nixon-Stone setup.
              > A 30 Liter SS boiler (beer keg from Belgium) with a 2500 watt
              > element. A 1200 mm cu column with 9 SS scrubbers 8 or 9 cm each
              > (total height of scrubbers is 75 cm). After 75 minutes the
              > temperature raise to 81,5 degrees C. This was the moment I regulated
              > the power to 1600 Watt. In about 5 minutes the temp dropped to 80,1
              > degrees C where it remained.
              > After 10 minutes I started collecting and 5 minutes later the first
              > 75 ml was out. It stunk like nail polish remover. Then I started
              > collecting small batches (250-350 ml with 91%-95% ABV) totally 2420
              > ml in 2 hours and 40 minutes. The temperature climbed to 80,5
              > degrees at this time. I think my thermometer is a bit of.
              >
              > QUESTION: I can't find a difference in smell and taste between these
              > small batches (not the head or tails – they stink). I asked my wife
              > to taste and smell but she didn't notice a difference either. It
              > tastes a bit like Gin or Vodka but there is only a smell from alcohol
              > as known from hospitals (my wife used to work there so she would
              > know) . A bit sweet and a bit sharp and very-very strong but
              > pleasant. Is this how it is supposed to be.
              >
              > After this the temperature climbed rapidly and I collected the tails -
              > another 460 ml with 75% ABV – in 45 minutes (really slow dripping).
              >
              > I was surprised because I used a 25 Liter batch with 5 kg sugar
              > (inverted with acid (citroenzuur in Dutch )), 0,5 Liter Jus d'orange,
              > approx. 25 gram nutrient and 2 sachets (2*7gram) of bakers yeast.
              > To give it some oxygen I used the shower to fill to 25 Liter and for
              > the first 5 days I gave it a firm shake (30-60 seconds) - 3 times a
              > day.
              > Nothing special, but it took 18 days before it reached SG 0.996, and
              > I let it rest for 2 days to let the yeast go to the bottom.
              >
              > QUESTION: Has anyone experience with bakers yeast and the time it
              > takes to completely ferment the wash.
              >
              > This was my first run and maybe its better to use turbo yeast or
              > Lalvin (can't find it in Holland) but I didn't want to use the
              > expensive yeast like Dynamite (EUR 5,50 +-US$ 4,80 for 22 liter batch
              > 17% ABV) for my first run.
              >
              > Thank to all,
              > Erik
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              hallo erik
              zondag heb ik voor het eerste keer gedestillerd.
              ik heb +- 30 liter zelfgemakte druivenwijn in mijn installatie
              verstookt.
              de kolom had ik met 4 rvs sponsjes gevult. in 1 uur was de hele zaak an
              koken. de temperatuur in de brug kon ik op 78 graden met de voorkoeling
              instellen.na 2 uur had ih 2,5 liter 89% alkohol. die heb ik in particies
              van +- 200 ml afgetapt.
              en nu! hoe kom ik te weten wat ik mag konsumeeren?
              heb je een meetmiddel om de voorloop de middelloop naloop was er niet te
              meeten? graag je reaktie.

              mvg
              peter
            • erik still
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 27, 2002
                Hoi Peter,

                Er is een duidelijk verschil in de manier waarop we
                distilleren.
                Doordat ik 75 cm pakking (rvs sponjes) gebruik, haal
                ik een zuiverheid van 95% wanneer ik 750 ml/uur
                afneem.
                De voorloop is dan duidelijk te 'meten' want het
                stinkt als naggellak remover. Na 75 ml was de stank
                verdwenen. Het distillaat wat nu opgevangen wordt is
                geschikt voor consumptie - mits de geur en smaak in
                orde zijn. Het is toch een kwestie van ruiken en
                proeven denk ik. Er is voor zover ik weet geen exacte
                meting voor midden en naloop. Bij minder reflux
                (75-85% alcohol) is naar zeggen de 'kop' goed waar te
                nemen en zou moeten stinken (meer dan 50ml). Dan
                begint de voorloop die volgens de mensen met ervaring
                op een batch van zo'n 30 liter een halve liter
                bedraagt. De middenloop zou een 1,5 tot 2 liter zijn
                afhankelijk van waar de 'staart' begint. Dit is
                volgens de mensen met ervaring weer een kwestie van
                smaak. Er schijnen overigens wel testjes te zijn om
                het methyl gehalte in het distillaat te meten.
                De naloop begint als de temperatuur omhoog begint te
                gaan. Zelf heb ik de temperatuur tijdens het opvangen
                van de naloop laten oplopen tot 95 graden C. dit gaf
                nog bijna een halve liter van 75 % sterkte.
                Met wat ik tot nu toe gelezen en gehoord heb op de
                nieuwsgroep, denk ik dat de reflux bij jou aan de hoge
                kant is. Je hebt 89% en dat is voor een distillatie
                -waar je toch ook smaak mee wilt overbrengen - vrij
                hoog. Als de smaak en geur in orde zijn lijkt het me
                dat je een goed distillaat hebt opgevangen. Ben erg
                benieuwd hoe het smaakt.

                Groeten,
                Erik.

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 27, 2002
                  Hi Tony,

                  Thanks for your advise. The first run is always a bit
                  exciting so one wants to be as save and careful as
                  possible. I will certainly try a higher packing when
                  my next batch is ready � have to be patient.

                  Kind regards,
                  Erik.

                  --- "Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)"

                • John Vandermeulen
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 27, 2002
                    Hello Peter, Erik,
                    All of what Erik described applies mainly to the reflux or packed column,
                    where you can get those marked temperature divisions. In my case, my column
                    settles down and remains steady at around 79.5oC or so, and will stay there,
                    dripping quietly from the condenser. I had 94 and 95%abv the other day, in
                    redistilling some wastes from earlier runs. But that is with a fully packed
                    reflux column (ca. 36" x 2"diam).

                    (Ik begreep niet wat u bedoelde dat u niet verschil kon ruiken/smaken na de
                    voorloop er door was. Als het goed spul is, dan moet er geen verschil zyn
                    als het allemaal puur is.)

                    It is a different story with a potstill, but there you have to ask someone
                    else. I have not mastered the pot still at all, but keep trying.

                    John V

                  • erik still
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 31, 2002
                      Hi John,

                      Ik heb al verschillende keren gehoord dat er na de 50
                      ml 'heads' een voorloop is op een batch van 25 liter
                      (ongeveer een halve liter) en dat daarna het beste
                      (the middle run) er pas uit komt. Dat is wat ik
                      probeerde te ontdekken en bedoelde met het ruiken en
                      proeven van verschil tussen de opgevangen delen.
                      Het was voor mij de eerste keer dus het is allemaal
                      nog een beetje nieuw ;)

                      Groeten,
                      Erik

                      --- John Vandermeulen <vandermeulen@...>

                      === message truncated ===

                      http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                    • erik still
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 31, 2002
> [...]

                        > > > of bakers yeast.
                        > fill
                        > > > to 25 Liter and for
                        > > > seconds) - 3 times a
                        > > > reached SG 0.996, and
                        > > > the bottom.

                        > yeast
                        > > > and the time it

                        > use
                        > > > turbo yeast or
                        > > > want to use the
                        > 4,80
                        > > > for 22 liter batch

                        > to:

                        > Yahoo!
                        > > > Terms of Service.
                        > > > hallo erik
                        > > > zondag heb ik voor het eerste keer gedestillerd.
                        > > > ik heb +- 30 liter zelfgemakte druivenwijn in
                        > mijn
                        > > > installatie
                        > > > verstookt.
                        > > > de kolom had ik met 4 rvs sponsjes gevult. in 1

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                      • John Vandermeulen
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 31, 2002
                          Erik, ja - eerst komt ongeveer 50mL of 'foreshot' welk de methylhydrate is.  Dan komt een groep van andere chemicals en dan volgt de alcohol.  U moet begrypen dat deze groepen niet in vlymscherpe afdelen komen, maar dat ze allemaal een beetje overvloeien in de volgende groep. Zo moet u uitwerken waar de afdeeling is, naar uwe smaak.
                          Ik zet een rei van 6 of 7 water glaazen naast de stil; ik collect 100mL elkere keer, and giet iedere 100mL in een nieuw glas (behalve de eerst 50ml, het gaat in het eerst glas).  Zo - nu heb ik in #1 - methylalcohol enz. (50mL)
                          #2 - eerste 100mL
                          #3 - volgende  "
                          #4 - volgende  ", enz.
                          By de tyd #6 is gevuld ben ik hoogstwaarschynlyk in de "mid cut" (het goede spul).  Ik meet ook de alcohol iedere keer.  Het eerste glas (50mL) stinkt, en ik meet het niet.  #2 meet ik, hoogstwaarshynlyk ongeveer 70-80%abv.  Het ruikt een beetje.
                          Mischien #3 is 'the same' als #2.
                          #4 zal well 90-94% uitmeten - #5, #6 - ook in die buurte.
                          Nou, ik ga dan kompeeren - de puurste en de stinker , waar de grootste verschilling is.  So dat zyn #1 en #6 of #7.  Zo leer de geur van puur alcohol te herkennen.  Dan begin ik met #2 v. #7, enz.
                          Hoogstwaarschynlyk hebben #2 and #3 een beetje verschillende geur (en smaak) dan in #4, so #2 and #3 aar "heads", en die gaan in een fles die bewaard word voor later re-distilleren.  #4 enz. gaan in de 'mid-cut' fles en alles dat daar naar komt, tot dat de temp. omhoog gaat.  Als de temp. begint te reizen bedoelt dat er nu heel minder alcohol is in de 'wash'.  U kan collect tot 85oC, maar niet hoger want dan ben u in de tails.
                          Ik collect van 85 - 98, maar dat product gaat ook in de "heads" vles.
                          Is dit goed genoeg? Al het beste.
                          John V.

                          === message truncated ===

                          http://greetings.yahoo.com/

                          FREE COLLEGE MONEY
                          CLICK HERE to search
                          600,000 scholarships!
                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/e8NolB/TM

                          ÿWPC5

                        • erik still
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 1, 2002
                            Hallo John,

                            Bedankt voor de uitleg. De volgende keer zal ik wat
                            meer glazen klaar zetten om het verschil te 'leren'
                            ruiken/proeven. de eerste 100 ml. alcohol die ik
                            opvang (na de heads) is overigens al 93%. Moet nog
                            even wachten tot de fermentatie klaar is om verder te
                            kunnen experimenteren. Ik heb nog niet het juiste
                            recept voor een snelle fermentatie van een suiker
                            water oplossing - alle tips zijn welkom:)

                            wrote:
> [...]
                            > > probeerde te ontdekken en bedoelde met het ruiken
                            > en
                            > > proeven van verschil tussen de opgevangen delen.
                            > > Het was voor mij de eerste keer dus het is
                            > allemaal
                            > > nog een beetje nieuw ;)
                            > >
                            > > Groeten,
                            > > Erik
                            > >
                            > > --- John Vandermeulen
                            > <vandermeulen@...>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > > (Ik begreep niet wat u bedoelde dat u niet
                            > verschil
                            > > > kon ruiken/smaken na de
                            > > > voorloop er door was. Als het goed spul is, dan
                            > > > moet er geen verschil zyn
                            > > > als het allemaal puur is.)
                            > > >
                            > > > It is a different story with a potstill, but
                            > there
                            > > > you have to ask someone
                            > > > else. I have not mastered the pot still at all,

                            === message truncated ===

                            http://greetings.yahoo.com/
                          • bcsolitarydrinker
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 3, 2003
                              So dumb me bought a pressure cooker with no rubber ring. Bring 'er
                              up to temp and it's steaming like crazy. However, I am happy to
                              report that my condenser starting dripping cool water after about 2
                              minutes of water boiling. And that was without any water in the
                              condenser.

                              I whipped out and returned the cooker, and lo and behold there was
                              one the same size but in ss, so I snagged it. Different hole on the
                              top but nothing a little home handywork didn't fix. So now I'm
                              waiting for my silicone to dry on the modified lid, and am
                              leakproofing my condenser. Wash has almost fermented out completely -
                              I'll be checking the sg tonight.

                              Later dudes. Sol.
                            • Wil
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 3, 2003
                                Hang in there Sol, I made my 1st reflux run today. It's worth the
                                wait to get it right!! I have a shot of 94% sitting here warming an
                                ice cube as I type. It's good to be Da-King. :oD