Pot Scrubbers

  • dball1@gte.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2001
      I will be using pot scrubbers in my column. How high should the
      packing go? Also, I saw copper pot scrubbers in the store, anyone
      have experience with those?
    • tarvus@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2001
        --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, dball1@g... wrote:
        > I will be using pot scrubbers in my column. How high should the
        > packing go? Also, I saw copper pot scrubbers in the store, anyone
        > have experience with those?

        I use copper pot scrubbers in my stillmaker type still and they work
        like a charm. I filled the column with them up to just below the
        level of the outflow T leading to the external condenser.
        Regards,
        Tarvus
      • klcampbell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 14, 2001
          Tarvus,how much tarnish is on the copper scrubbers after a run ?
          My condenser coil used to tarnish up a lot so i had it electroplated with
          pure Tin to overcome the problem.Regards Ken

        • stampers@bigfoot.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 18, 2001
            > I use copper pot scrubbers in my stillmaker type still and they work
            > like a charm. I filled the column with them up to just below the
            > level of the outflow T leading to the external condenser.

            Tarvus,

            What kind of still have you got, exactly? I've got a still maker
            reflux jobie and after reading this group I'm wondering if I should
            put some pot scrubbers in the bit below the marble to increase the
            reflux action.

            a) Is this what you've done, or have you got a different type of still
            completely?

            b) would this do anything useful on my still?

            b) are there any other mods that I could do to the basic still to
            improve it?

            I must admit that this is all a great laugh! I used to enjoy myself
            brewing beer, but distillation is just lots more fun :-). The process
            is almost more fun than the end result!

            Kev.
          • Ackland, Tony (CALNZAS)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 18, 2001
              >What kind of still have you got, exactly? I've got a still maker
              >reflux jobie and after reading this group I'm wondering if I should
              >put some pot scrubbers in the bit below the marble to increase the
              >reflux action.

              I've done that. It picked up the purity from around 75% to the 80-85%,
              particularly when running more cooling water than normal too (to try and
              encourage more reflux from the marble). I think the next simple step would
              be to make the column taller - as Mos recently reported with great success.

              Tony
            • tarvus@mindspring.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 20, 2001
                --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, "klcampbell" <klcampbell@o...>
                wrote:
                > Tarvus,how much tarnish is on the copper scrubbers after a run ?
                > My condenser coil used to tarnish up a lot so i had it
                electroplated with
                > pure Tin to overcome the problem.Regards Ken

                Hi Ken,
                They turn a light brown color, but the tarnish does not affect taste
                or color. Periodically, I soak and rinse the inside of the column
                and scrubbers with a htdrogen peroxide/white vinegar mix and this
                cleans everything up (including the scrubbers)

                regards,
                Tarvus
              • tarvus@mindspring.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 20, 2001
                  --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, stampers@b... wrote:

                  > Tarvus,
                  >
                  > What kind of still have you got, exactly? I've got a still maker
                  > reflux jobie and after reading this group I'm wondering if I should
                  > put some pot scrubbers in the bit below the marble to increase the
                  > reflux action.

                  Mine is a homebuilt still using the design at
                  http://www.stillmaker.dreamhost.com/
                  I have it mounted on a 20 gallon aluminum kettle (my beer brewing
                  kettle)and use a propane burner for my heat source.

                  > a) Is this what you've done, or have you got a different type of
                  still
                  > completely?

                  Different still completely. Mine has a 3 foot 2" diameter column
                  filled with copper scrubbers. If I remember correctly, I used at
                  least a dozen scrubbers to fill the column.

                  > b) would this do anything useful on my still?

                  Probably. I'm not familiar with your type of still, but scrubbers
                  seem to really help reflux as compared to marbles. You may want to
                  try substituting them entirely and get rid of the marbles.
                  > b) are there any other mods that I could do to the basic still to
                  > improve it?

                  Again, since I am not familiar with your still, I can't say.

                  > I must admit that this is all a great laugh! I used to enjoy myself
                  > brewing beer, but distillation is just lots more fun :-). The
                  process
                  > is almost more fun than the end result!

                  Agreed! Actually I think making good spirits is far easier than
                  brewing good beer.
                • topcat@southcom.com.au
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 30, 2001
                    G'day, I've just arrived at the halfway point through my second run.
                    The first run was a real hassle.
                    The temperature in my N/S would not stabilise, I adjusted the flow
                    of takeoff to change the temperature.
                    It started off with the temperature going up to 77.7C and sitting
                    there, fine I thought, but as soon as I started to ease a few heads
                    off the bloody temperature went up and then down again when I
                    turned the tap off, this happened for about 1 1/2 litres, I'm thinking,
                    was this just heads I have created?
                    I thought maybe I had too many SS scrubbers in the column,
                    therefore when I was taking off the heads, I was stopping the flow of
                    condensate down the column, consequently the temperature rise.
                    Anyway, I removed 4 scrubbers (of the 16) and the beast seems to
                    be behaving now.
                    I was wondering, were the 16 scrubbers too many for;
                    a. the 1800W element?
                    b. the one metre by fifty millimetre column?
                    Or did I need to equalibriate for longer?
                    Any comments would be appreciated.
                    I would be very surprised if there was such a thing as too many
                    scrubbers (without restricting the flow, that is)
                    Regards,
                    Tony Cahill
                  • OzBrickie
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 30, 2001
                      Isnt 77 where you want it for the body?  Heads at 64?
                      I dont know about N/S but I dont think the scourers are going to be a prob unless they were too tight to begin with. You should be able to breath easily through them

                      Message 10 of 10 , May 31, 2001
                        > I was wondering, were the 16 scrubbers too many for;
                        > a. the 1800W element?
                        > b. the one metre by fifty millimetre column?
                        > Or did I need to equalibriate for longer?
                        > Any comments would be appreciated.
                        Tony,
                        I have 12 s/s scrubbers in a 1m x 54mm tower. The procedure that
                        seems to work for me is to heat the wash under full power (3kW) until the
                        very bottom of the tower can be felt to be starting to warm up, at this point I
                        reduce the power to about 50% (triac controllers are magic !) and within 2-3
                        minutes the tower head temperature will quickly shoot up to very close to
                        what ends up as the equilibrium temperature. On early runs I did things by
                        the book & left the system for 2-3 hrs to stabilize but now just 30mins seems
                        to long enough. The temperature quickly settles down to equilibrium &
                        remains rock steady until I've drawn off a lot of spirit. Not sure what my draw
                        off rate is (not got round to calibrating the needle valve yet) but what I do is
                        to open the needle valve slowly until discrete drops just form a continuous
                        dribble & then back off a little.
                        Other things I've done to my N/S arrangement is to lag
                        EVERYTHING in sight, the boiler body & lid are lagged with wooded
                        slats/MDF while the vertical part of the tower is lagged with an industrial
                        foam insulation sleeve. I've no insulation on the horizontal arm or vertical
                        condenser section for obvious reasons and a condenser coil formed from 10'
                        x 3/16" seems to give more than enough cooling for my needs. Until I can
                        get a multiple sensor temperature monitoring system up & running my method
                        of checking the condenser is working is simply to feel it - provided the top of
                        the condenser tower is cold/just warm to touch while the bottom (10" below)
                        is too hot to touch then everything is working OK.
                        Just some thoughts from my experience but they might be of help
                        --
                        Dick