plum brandy

  • wilsotic
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
      Hi All,

      I have just picked 10 kilograms of really ripe plums and turned them
      into plum wine. I added some sugar to increase the alcohol as I read
      that plums were only 10% sugar. It has fermented down to zero and I am
      ready to distill.

      I dont have a pot still but want to remove the packing from my 1.2
      meter 2" column and running it with no reflux.

      Will this simulate a pot still enough to get the flavour of the mighty
      plum.

      regards

      Wilson.
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
        Most likely it will work OK. We need to remember that each and every
        potstill is an individual. By having an empty column we in practise
        simulate the onion and what not shaped things those big pot stills
        have + lyne arms on upwards angle. In principle we are just creating
        some reflux that runs down the walls of the column. As that is in
        contact with the rising vapor we get somewhat higher ABV going up.
        This is called internal reflux ratio for a pot still. SImilar effect
        could be had with a very short packed column and adjustable reflux
        condenser on top.

        In practise this all means that you need to adjust your cuts to fit
        your still. Those cut numbers given everywhere should only serve as a
        starting point, the final adjustment you need to do by your tastebuds.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "wilsotic" <wilsotic@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have just picked 10 kilograms of really ripe plums and turned
        them
        > into plum wine. I added some sugar to increase the alcohol as I
        read
        > that plums were only 10% sugar. It has fermented down to zero and
        I am
        > ready to distill.
        >
        > I dont have a pot still but want to remove the packing from my 1.2
        > meter 2" column and running it with no reflux.
        >
        > Will this simulate a pot still enough to get the flavour of the
        mighty
        > plum.
        >

        > regards
        >
        > Wilson.

      • wilsotic
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2009
          thanks Riku,

          I will take it slowly and taste as I go.