Re: Steeping fruit in neutral vodka

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3 3:44 PM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976"
      <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

      > I made a batch of neutral and after adding Prestige raspberry
      > essence to one decided to add real raspberry's to another. It's been 4
      > days and the vodka has taken on a red hue from the berries. I read
      > that the flavor is fully extracted when the berries turn white.
      > Question is how do I get rid of the red hue and the bits of fruit that
      > are in the bottle? Am I stuck with the red color? I know I can pour
      > the vodka through a coffee filter to get rid of the fruit pieces. Just
      > wanted the natural flavor to compare to essence flavor not the
      > coloring. Is there a way to achieve this?

      1. Carbon...removes color over time

      2. Re-distil...removes color immediately

    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3 4:58 PM

        > 1. Carbon...removes color over time
        >
        > 2. Re-distil...removes color immediately
        >

        > Slainte!
        > regards Harry

        Both will remove flavor, also. Just so's you knows.

        Tip one, Morgan

      • vodkaman1976
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3 5:25 PM

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976"
          > <vodkaman1976@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I made a batch of neutral and after adding Prestige raspberry
          > > essence to one decided to add real raspberry's to another. It's been 4
          > > days and the vodka has taken on a red hue from the berries. I read
          > > that the flavor is fully extracted when the berries turn white.
          > > Question is how do I get rid of the red hue and the bits of fruit that
          > > are in the bottle? Am I stuck with the red color? I know I can pour
          > > the vodka through a coffee filter to get rid of the fruit pieces. Just
          > > wanted the natural flavor to compare to essence flavor not the
          > > coloring. Is there a way to achieve this?
          > >

          > 1. Carbon...removes color over time
          >
          > 2. Re-distil...removes color immediately
          >

          > Slainte!
          > regards Harry

          I should have been clearer. I want to keep the raspberry flavor and
          if I use carbon won't it remove the flavor? If I re-distill it I will
          definetly lose all flavor. I s there some other way to do add the
          fruit without this happening, or should I just stick to the essences?
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3 7:13 PM
            <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

            > I should have been clearer. I want to keep the raspberry flavor and
            > if I use carbon won't it remove the flavor? If I re-distill it I will
            > definetly lose all flavor. I s there some other way to do add the
            > fruit without this happening, or should I just stick to the essences?

            You're talking about 'Infusion'. You need this...

            http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

          • gff_stwrt
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3 11:10 PM
              <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
              wrote:

              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976"
              > > <vodkaman1976@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > I made a batch of neutral and after adding Prestige raspberry
              > > > essence to one decided to add real raspberry's to another. It's
              been 4
              > > > days and the vodka has taken on a red hue from the berries. I
              read
              > > > that the flavor is fully extracted when the berries turn white.
              > > > Question is how do I get rid of the red hue and the bits of
              fruit that
              > > > are in the bottle? Am I stuck with the red color? I know I can
              pour
              > > > the vodka through a coffee filter to get rid of the fruit
              pieces. Just
              > > > wanted the natural flavor to compare to essence flavor not the
              > > > coloring. Is there a way to achieve this?
              > > >

              > > 1. Carbon...removes color over time
              > >
              > > 2. Re-distil...removes color immediately
              > >

              > > Slainte!
              > > regards Harry
              > >

              > I should have been clearer. I want to keep the raspberry flavor
              and
              > if I use carbon won't it remove the flavor? If I re-distill it I
              will
              > definetly lose all flavor. I s there some other way to do add the
              > fruit without this happening, or should I just stick to the
              essences?

              Hi, folks,

              Vodkaman, if you don't want immediate results in removing the red
              colour from your raspberry.....

              And if you want it to fade rather than disappear.....

              I know that often red colour will fade if left in sunshine.

              As to whether there would be a concurrent loss of flavour, I have no
              idea.

              Regards,

              The Baker

              By the way, I have an idea I have heard of white raspberries!

              If so, and if they are truly white, there may be your answer. G.

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4 4:37 AM
                Great Site Harry,

                Its a keeper - in the Info base under Infusion and Schnapps.

                Vino es Veritas,
                Jim aka Waldo.