Re: Modern Way - Fermenting Star Fruit

  • gooseeye
    Message 1 of 89 , Feb 2, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravoseychelles"
      <bravoseychelles@...> wrote:

      > hi there
      > today very busy indeed
      > toooka long timeeeeee
      > to get 5o liters og pure mango juice from the extractor
      > had plenty of mangoes but thought i would use only the very ripe
      ones
      > to avoid ant sour taste
      > is there any advantage of using a bit of the half ripe ones
      > i mean half yellow
      > not completely
      >

      > hey waldo you mention oak chips
      > is realy for the flavour or the colour
      > because we have mahoganny which has also a very good taint of
      brandy
      > looking
      > or a dark rum
      >
      > any of you out there with knowledge in wood that can be used in
      > distilling
      >
      > corrrect me if im wrong
      > when i stire the must every morning im surely adding o2 to the must
      > isnt that bad .
      >
      > by the way the old lady uses some of the left overs from the
      previous
      > wine and this is where they get their yeast from.
      > probably without them even knowing it..
      > i say so because they tell you they use no yeast at all
      >
      > talking about yeast since this is my last packet of the good stuff
      > any ideas
      >
      > what to do
      > ive got to add it to the mango must tomorow morning.
      >
      > the mango must is very thik
      >
      > very thik
      > is that ok it is as thik as the inverted suger sirup
      >
      > any way its diferent from my first ferment
      > will be good to have a different experience.
      >
      > ive decided to keep the 2nd ferment with the pulp as a wine for the
      > other guys .
      > ive added some suger today about 2 kg.
      > when the lady comes she will advise a bit more depending on how it
      > taste.
      >
      > i should get prepared for the distilling processs soon
      >
      > ok waldo
      >
      > any brain storm in advance to start thinking about
      >
      > see ya
      > bossy

      how thick. do a stick stand up in it. if it fall how fast. quicker
      than you can clap your hand. you added enzimes yet. think id be
      makein a press. use it after juicein modyfy buckets or pots an
      collinder or screenwire or such. make sure you wrap plumins with
      burlap or corse wove material. some folks use hay. pillow case wove
      to fine. if you aint able to shower down on it gonna clog unless it
      course. you still gona have plumins get thru but can rack it off.
      dont use none that aint ripe beter to add water. biter comes thru.
      you gonna be usein defuser. that tell how think you can cook

      so im tole

      Message 89 of 89 , Feb 4, 2009

        Hi Baker,

        Yes, your correct.  Boiling the potatos will kill off any microbes on there skin.  Using just the waters containing nutrients and some sugars and starches open to the air will cause airborne wild yeasts to infect it.
        More comments below in Bold:

        > Okay, Jim, I think I see where you are coming from; by
        > pasteurization/ stirilisation you are ensuring you get only AIR-BORNE
        > wild/natural yeasts, not the yeasts that might be carried on/in the
        > FRUITS, or in this case the potatoes?
        >
        > But it seems to me (and this is not based on knowledge, it just seems
        > to make sense) that the case of a natural yeast for fermenting a
        > fruit wine is very different to yeast for bread.

        Not really Baker, both bread yeast and wine yeasts are mainly from the genus Saccharomyces  and species  cerevisiae  within the species Saccharomyces cerevisiae (check it out in Wikipedia), there are over 1500 strains of this yeast that have been cultured for making bread yeast, wine yeast, whiskey yeast, ale yeasts etc., etc..  These strains were originally cultivated from wild yeasts that have been found on the skins of fruit (or grains) which have formed a symbiotic relationship with the fruit or grain.  The other main species of yeast for making wines (mainly champagnes) is  Saccharomyces bayanus  a more alcohol tolerant species of yeast.   One can make bread from a strain of wine yeast and make wine from a bread yeast.

        > The process of boiling the potatoes could have little importance in
        > its sterilization effect; a yeast from the potato skin might be as
        > effective as an airborne yeast.

        Again this depends on how good or bad that wild yeast strain could be..

        > The boiling of the potatoes could be important mainly because it
        > gelatinises the starch in the potatoes (and thus any residual starch
        > in the potato water?)

        Correct again Baker:     "Common media used for the cultivation of yeasts include; potato dextrose agar (PDA) or potato dextrose broth,"

        > This would make it somewhat similar to bread flour; and if I am right
        > about a little bread flour being mixed in the potato water that would
        > increase that effect.
        > It is of course possible to include potato flour, or mashed potato,
        > (in other words, gelatinised potato) in breads and that might add
        > credence to my thoughts here.

        Corrct again.

        > There are a lot of wineries not too far from where I live and I know
        > it has been the practice years ago, and perhaps even yet to a very
        > much lesser extent, to ferment the grapes in open concrete tanks; and
        > often by the use of the natural yeasts from the bloom on the skins of
        > the grapes.

        Yes, due to the symbiotic relationship, the wild yeasts on the skin of each varietal grape was used to start the fermentation.  Eventually, these were cultivated into various red and white wine,  grape specific strains.

        > It would seem that a yeast that has evolved on or in a fruit, and
        > thus is adapted specifically to ferment that fruit in the conditions
        > in which it is found (climate, etc.,) would be more likely to ferment
        > it well than an air-borne yeast; in the same way as has been found in
        > the case of the grape wines (ignoring commercial yeasts, which anyway
        > have been cultured from natural yeasts originally).

        Correct again - see above.

        > Just kicking the ideas around, it's interesting.
        >
        > Bacteria I haven't thought much about, I guess if you sterilize the
        > fruits that cuts out a lot of possible bacterial infections, leaving
        > only the air-borne ones...

        Yes - the worst ones being vinegar producing bacteria - acetic acid bacteria.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.