Re: [new_distillers] Re: Making Tequila

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
      Try homebrew stores for bulk agave syrup.  http://www.maltproducts.com/products.sweetners.html has it in 5 gallon buckets (60 pounds) up to tanker trucks.  They don't seem to have ordering info though, so not sure how small they will ship.

      I like the idea of the onions and sweet taters though.  Sounds just like making sake.

      I wonder if there are other organisms you will culture though, please keep us updated, very exciting experiment.

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009

        I am really doing this for a little bit of experimentation, Like Bossy (and a few others I am sure) live 1000nds of kilometres from the nearest homebrew store. Importing stuff is nightmare too with over 40 percent import duty. I have to rely on what other people can bring in their luggage or make do with what’s available.

        As regards other organisms, that was one reason for the lab test. Too see what was growing inside the onion. The aspergillus niger is a black mould that grows in the first few layers of the onion often only just visible on the outer skin. I took samples from the outer and inner skins. The outer skin had a gram negative staph (probably from handling and packing) present. On the inner layer sample only the niger  was present. It may be a case that only the strongest survive and the Aspergillus Niger takes over.

        I have also changed my mind about sulphating in favour of heat treatment at the end of Enzyme activity prior to fermentation. Heat treatment is available to all and will destroy any myco toxins that are produced by any rogue bacteria.

        I am emptying the last of my fermenting bins this week and should make a start next weekend. I keep you all posted how it goes.

        Cheers From Peers