Re: Fermentable Question

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hi, no-name,

      I have a friend who is a keen collector of Coca-Cola stuff but
      probably (without asking details) it would be expensive and
      inconvenient to send something like this to an address in Australia.

      I have no idea whether this stuff would interest him or what it would
      be worth to him...

      Regards,

      The Baker

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nonamedistiller"
      <nonamedistiller@...> wrote:

      > Hiya everyone.
      > Brain storm here for another Dram award. (Hope not but here goes)
      >
      > Cleaning out my Grandpa's out building I stumbled upon something
      very
      > interesting, And I was wondering if this would be something I can
      use
      > to ferment, Being its so old. I am not sure, Plus I am not fimilar
      > with what would be considered preserves,. And how long they last,
      > This mixture or syrup does look to have a bit of crud at the very
      top
      > but thats it, Everything else still looks to be good, However I am
      no
      > expert as I have shown here lately..
      > ( My dang camara won't work. No batteries. but I found a picture on
      > line, I think this one comes from ebay) This one is empty, but Mine
      are
      > full, they haven't even had the lids ever taken off, Still sealed
      and
      > all..
      >

      > I know you guys will probably need what the ingred are. So I will
      list
      > them, There isn't that many on the bottle:)
      >
      > Here is what it says word for word.
      >
      > A beverage syrup: Prepared with sugar and water; Phosphoric acid,
      > Caffeine, Extractives from coca leaves (cocaine Removed) (bummer)
      and
      > cola nuts, And other flavoring materials: colored with caramel.
      >
      > This syrup is ready to use, Chill before use, This syrup should be
      mixed
      > in proportions of one part syrup and five parts cold carbonated
      > water....
      >
      > Other than that it just says to mix cold and serve in 6 ounce
      servings,
      > with chipped ice..
      >
      > Right now, I have four of these, Full to the top without ever
      having
      > the seal broken.. Only one of them has a very good intact lable,,
      The
      > others still have there lables but there holding on by like one
      peice of
      > the corner, Then I have 12 empty containers just like these,
      >
      > I thought back then you could only get this kind of stuff at a
      pharmacy,
      > so it looks like grandpa was not only a Moonshiner but a Out law or
      > theif as well.. LOL (Just kidding there, Very good man he was And
      > good shiner as well, Ol BOy he was)..
      >
      > Anyways, I was thinking sale them, but I haven't found to much
      of
      > nothing on them, execpt ebay, and then well thats a chance and a
      half
      > there weather you get anything or not. Maybe contact Coca-Cola
      but I
      > am sure they won't care, its not like a 300 year old bottle of Jack
      or
      > something.. Plus having the jugs are great, well the
      empties, Now
      > I don't have to go to the recycle plant for a while. (Yea)....
      But
      > on the other hand, If anyone does know of a coke collector send him
      my
      > way, I have jugs,
      >
      > But the main question was for the big guns.. Can this be
      fermented,
      > and if so, Would I use it like mollasses, Mix it up 1 syrup to 4
      > water. Then add dap and so on.. Or just dilute it and add the
      yeast.

      > Any help would be most welcome.. Thx's to all.. NoNameDistiller
      > (Nameless)
      >
      > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=270301442808&indexUR\
      > L=0#ebayphotohosting>
      > <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
      ViewItem&item=270301442808&indexUR\
      > L=1#ebayphotohosting>

    • nonamedistiller
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, no-name,
        >
        > I have a friend who is a keen collector of Coca-Cola stuff but
        > probably (without asking details) it would be expensive and
        > inconvenient to send something like this to an address in Australia.
        >
        > I have no idea whether this stuff would interest him or what it would
        > be worth to him...
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > The Baker

        Hello Baker.
        At least its a start. If you want, ask him what he thinks, maybe he
        can give me a bit of insite of what its worth. And who knows, Even if
        it isn't much, I wouldn't mind sending it to someone, If its not too
        bad. Like you said though, It would probably cost a arm and a leg,
        maybe even our first new born. :):) Thx's for repling though.
        Nameless
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009

          Heck Nameless,

          If you have one of those old Coke jugs made during the time they still used Coca plants, and the label is still good with concentrate in it - I would check it out some more - might be worth a hell of a lot more then just using it to try and ferment.  Same thing I told a Guy that was trying to use an old Gregorian copper pitcher to distill with - Take it to an APPRAISER !!!. (too bad the took all the cocaine out of it - in earlier times it still would a been there. :(

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nonamedistiller" <nonamedistiller@...> wrote:

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" gff_stwrt@
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi, no-name,
          > >
          > > I have a friend who is a keen collector of Coca-Cola stuff but
          > > probably (without asking details) it would be expensive and
          > > inconvenient to send something like this to an address in Australia.
          > >
          > > I have no idea whether this stuff would interest him or what it would
          > > be worth to him...
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > >
          > > The Baker
          > >

          > Hello Baker.
          > At least its a start. If you want, ask him what he thinks, maybe he
          > can give me a bit of insite of what its worth. And who knows, Even if
          > it isn't much, I wouldn't mind sending it to someone, If its not too
          > bad. Like you said though, It would probably cost a arm and a leg,
          > maybe even our first new born. :):) Thx's for repling though.
          > Nameless

        • nonamedistiller
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2009
            <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

            > Heck Nameless,
            >
            > If you have one of those old Coke jugs made during the time they
            still
            > used Coca plants, and the label is still good with concentrate in
            it - I
            > would check it out some more - might be worth a hell of a lot more
            then
            > just using it to try and ferment. Same thing I told a Guy that was
            > trying to use an old Gregorian copper pitcher to distill with -
            Take it
            > to an APPRAISER !!!. (too bad the took all the cocaine out of it -
            in
            > earlier times it still would a been there. [:(]
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim aka Waldo.

            Thanks waldo...
            thanks for the reply as always, And after seeing that post from
            the baker, and now yours. I do believe your right. (Like normal).
            So I shall seek out an appraiser and see what they think, After all
            the four full ones still have the seal on them, That hasn't ever been
            broken.. But only one of them has the full Intact lable. The others
            have there lables but their only on there by the corners, Barely
            holding on. But looking on ebay, I seen some of these jugs empty
            that were going for 70 bucks and up. With out lids but the lables on
            them were all perfect. that was the only reason I didn't think these
            would be worth to much, Even my empties aren't in that good of a
            shape. I did However look them over real good this morning, SInce
            it was late last night after getting home from cleaning out the barn,
            And found that 6 of the jugs were pepsi jugs. There all emptys
            though, None of them were full, Even if they were, They don't have
            any instructions or ingredants list on them..
            On the other hand, I am going back today to that ol shed to see
            what else we can find, (sure hope to find Pops ol Copper still) but I
            doubt it. If by chance I do find some more of these jugs, I hope
            there older ones, (Not much on drugs by no means at all) But from
            the sounds of it, They would be worth a lot more, Huh..

            Any how, if worse comes to worse, And I find out that there not
            worth as much as I thought., or want,, Do you think that it could be
            fermented, Or should I just put these on the self and let them be..
            I can always use the empties for storage, With out hurting
            anything.
            I suppose the first step shall be to go find out what they are
            truely worth.. (Hopeing for the best)..
            Since I am going to be holding up on this little project, I did find
            another nice thing in the shed last night,

            Can honey go bad, The reason I ask this, We found a load of honey,
            haven't weighed it or anything, But I bet I have atleast 100 pounds
            of the stuff, we found 48 quarts And 6 one gallon Jugs(regular Glass
            jugs Nothing special) of honey,(boy I do say Honey is heavy stuff)
            But it didn't have any dates or anything on it, So I couldn't even
            guess at how old it is.. So I'm asking for the run down.
            Visual inspection looks normal. Nothing hard or crusty on or in the
            honey, Exept in the gallon Jugs, It has a peice of the comb in there
            with it.
            If this is not bad and usable, Then I shall be making my first
            mead, Something I didn't ever think I would try to make, But its
            free its for me..
            Thanks for your tip about the syrup. Sure would hate to
            ferment it then find out it was worth thousands or something:):) That
            wouldn't have been cool.. Hopeing for the best. Nameless