Re: Modern Way - Fermenting Star Fruit

  • bravoseychelles
    Message 1 of 89 , Feb 1, 2009
      hello there
      thanks for the recipe
      taste good already.waldo

      slowly slowly the secrets come out
      so too sweet makes it bad in the distilled.
      better add after distille.

      the smell of my 2 ferment is very different.

      from what i see is that by adding the pulp to a must it sorts of make
      the job harder for the yeast
      just talking here....
      but since ive removed the cap of pulp the 2nd ferments seems to say
      thanks and i can move a bit now

      tell me about this oxygen theory in simple words please

      so for how many hours should the yeast be aeriated with oxygen so
      that it can have sex

      and when do we stop the sex and ask them to work and make our stuff
      this way it looks better ..lol

      is it advisable to add spices to the ferment ot better to the
      distilled
      eg fresh cinamon leaves or bark
      or star anice
      you know what i mean not the bootle type
      the real tree thing

      also for the future
      my father still alive used to make a fruit wine from
      pawpaw mix with
      passion fruit and
      and mango
      the wine was unbeilevable good
      it was sweet champayne
      now if i went through that whole process of making it
      adding the sugars like he said he did
      waiting 2 month for it

      if im going to distill it is it worthwhile
      or should i just aim for the fast stuff

      what i mean is the tatse and smell of the long fermenting wine
      is it tranfered into the distilled

      thanks for the info and will talk sooon

      ile take some photos of the colllecting sites

      bossy
      Message 89 of 89 , Feb 4, 2009

        Hi Baker,

        Yes, your correct.  Boiling the potatos will kill off any microbes on there skin.  Using just the waters containing nutrients and some sugars and starches open to the air will cause airborne wild yeasts to infect it.
        More comments below in Bold:

        > Okay, Jim, I think I see where you are coming from; by
        > pasteurization/ stirilisation you are ensuring you get only AIR-BORNE
        > wild/natural yeasts, not the yeasts that might be carried on/in the
        > FRUITS, or in this case the potatoes?
        >
        > But it seems to me (and this is not based on knowledge, it just seems
        > to make sense) that the case of a natural yeast for fermenting a
        > fruit wine is very different to yeast for bread.

        Not really Baker, both bread yeast and wine yeasts are mainly from the genus Saccharomyces  and species  cerevisiae  within the species Saccharomyces cerevisiae (check it out in Wikipedia), there are over 1500 strains of this yeast that have been cultured for making bread yeast, wine yeast, whiskey yeast, ale yeasts etc., etc..  These strains were originally cultivated from wild yeasts that have been found on the skins of fruit (or grains) which have formed a symbiotic relationship with the fruit or grain.  The other main species of yeast for making wines (mainly champagnes) is  Saccharomyces bayanus  a more alcohol tolerant species of yeast.   One can make bread from a strain of wine yeast and make wine from a bread yeast.

        > The process of boiling the potatoes could have little importance in
        > its sterilization effect; a yeast from the potato skin might be as
        > effective as an airborne yeast.

        Again this depends on how good or bad that wild yeast strain could be..

        > The boiling of the potatoes could be important mainly because it
        > gelatinises the starch in the potatoes (and thus any residual starch
        > in the potato water?)

        Correct again Baker:     "Common media used for the cultivation of yeasts include; potato dextrose agar (PDA) or potato dextrose broth,"

        > This would make it somewhat similar to bread flour; and if I am right
        > about a little bread flour being mixed in the potato water that would
        > increase that effect.
        > It is of course possible to include potato flour, or mashed potato,
        > (in other words, gelatinised potato) in breads and that might add
        > credence to my thoughts here.

        Corrct again.

        > There are a lot of wineries not too far from where I live and I know
        > it has been the practice years ago, and perhaps even yet to a very
        > much lesser extent, to ferment the grapes in open concrete tanks; and
        > often by the use of the natural yeasts from the bloom on the skins of
        > the grapes.

        Yes, due to the symbiotic relationship, the wild yeasts on the skin of each varietal grape was used to start the fermentation.  Eventually, these were cultivated into various red and white wine,  grape specific strains.

        > It would seem that a yeast that has evolved on or in a fruit, and
        > thus is adapted specifically to ferment that fruit in the conditions
        > in which it is found (climate, etc.,) would be more likely to ferment
        > it well than an air-borne yeast; in the same way as has been found in
        > the case of the grape wines (ignoring commercial yeasts, which anyway
        > have been cultured from natural yeasts originally).

        Correct again - see above.

        > Just kicking the ideas around, it's interesting.
        >
        > Bacteria I haven't thought much about, I guess if you sterilize the
        > fruits that cuts out a lot of possible bacterial infections, leaving
        > only the air-borne ones...

        Yes - the worst ones being vinegar producing bacteria - acetic acid bacteria.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.