choice of stills

  • schnappser
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
      I am interested in making some schnapps
      (plum,cherry,pear,mirabellen,rasberry etc.)what kind of still should i
      build?I like Matt's Offset-Head Still(Nixon-Stone design)as shown on
      www.homedistillers.org/.I would attach the head directly to the lid
      without the column as mentioned in his directions.Or should i go some
      other route?
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
        Schnaps is usually made by macerating fruits in neutral alcohol. To
        make neutral alcohol easily build yourself a VM or ARC still. LM stills
        (Nixon-Stone is of that type) are harder to operate than VM or ARC and
        thus in general do not give as good results.

        Cheers, Riku

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
          Hi Schnappser,

          If your going to just attach the condesner head directly to the boiler
          cover, why not just make a pot still with a lyne arm and coiled
          condenser - much less work then making a libig style condenser. Also
          the lyne arm helps with the flavors.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
            Sidenote:

            If you want to go the masceration route as per Riku, lot of members
            here like to go the Boka route - easier to make.

            Jim.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Schnappser,
            >
            > If your going to just attach the condesner head directly to the boiler
            > cover, why not just make a pot still with a lyne arm and coiled
            > condenser - much less work then making a libig style condenser. Also
            > the lyne arm helps with the flavors.
            >
            > Vino es Veritas,
            >
            > Jim aka Waldo.
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schnappser" jblugel@ wrote:
            > >
            > > I am interested in making some schnapps
            > > (plum,cherry,pear,mirabellen,rasberry etc.)what kind of still should
            > > build?I like Matt's Offset-Head Still(Nixon-Stone design)as shown on
            > > www.homedistillers.org/.I would attach the head directly to the lid
            > > without the column as mentioned in his directions.Or should i go
            some
            > > other route?

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
              Hey schnappser,

              A man after my own heart. (Actually, I apologize for making gender, or
              even species, assumptions. Let me say,"A being of unspecified gender
              or sexuality appealing to an assortment of my internal organs) Sorry
              about that; Saturday mornings get kinda silly around here.

              At any rate, it appears that what you propose to do, and what I do a
              lot of, coincide. Also, it's notable that you are the only other
              person I know of to mention mirabelle on this list. After years of
              distillation, one batch of mirabelle (yellow plum brandy for the rest
              of you), oaked and aged, may very well be the best thing I've ever
              done, although I have an apricot brandy (also oaked and aged) that may
              compete.

              If I may, I'd say that my still is exactly what you need, an
              externally-heated potstill, with a rather large access port, and with
              what I call an un-packed column with a simple Liebig condenser. There
              are photos of it in the "photos" section of this list, in my "Zymurgy
              Bob" folder.

              You want external heating, because electric elements will scorch the
              fruit pulp you will work with. The unpacked column (or large diameter
              vertical lyne arm) allows good extraction of fruit flavors on the
              single-pass distillations you will probably do many of. You need the
              big hole to get all that fruit gunk into and out of.

              In addition, if you make it from a keg, you can get a great false
              bottom for it that will make it a great grappa still.

              If the design appeals to you, I'd be happy to fill you inon the details.

              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schnappser" <jblugel@...> wrote:

              > I am interested in making some schnapps
              > (plum,cherry,pear,mirabellen,rasberry etc.)what kind of still should i
              > build?I like Matt's Offset-Head Still(Nixon-Stone design)as shown on
              > www.homedistillers.org/.I would attach the head directly to the lid
              > without the column as mentioned in his directions.Or should i go some
              > other route?

            • balibootleg
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
                <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                > Sidenote:
                >
                > If you want to go the masceration route as per Riku, lot of members
                > here like to go the Boka route - easier to make.
                >
                > Jim.
                >

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1" <jamesonbeam1@>
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi Schnappser,
                > >
                > > If your going to just attach the condesner head directly to the boiler
                > > cover, why not just make a pot still with a lyne arm and coiled
                > > condenser - much less work then making a libig style condenser. Also
                > > the lyne arm helps with the flavors.
                > >
                > > Vino es Veritas,
                > >
                > > Jim aka Waldo.
                > >
                > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schnappser" jblugel@ wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I am interested in making some schnapps
                > > > (plum,cherry,pear,mirabellen,rasberry etc.)what kind of still should
                > > > build?I like Matt's Offset-Head Still(Nixon-Stone design)as shown on
                > > > www.homedistillers.org/.I would attach the head directly to the lid
                > > > without the column as mentioned in his directions.Or should i go
                > some
                > > > other route?

                Just while were on the still topic ,ive got a hold of some 1inch 1/2
                copper and some reducers and am thinking about a bit of a upgrade on
                my pot still .At present its got a 3/4 column 2mtre high and iam
                thinking about cutting it and adding some 1 1/2 with reducers up and
                down the column to give a bit of reflux, sort of like a pinched neck
                effect .all thoughts welcome iam in the islands so have to make do
                with what i can find .
                Bali
              • morganfield1
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
                  Hey Bali,

                  Experimentation is good, that is how we learn. But I will warn you
                  about what you are comptiplating. Boiling wash produces vapor, which
                  expands and flows up the column. The speed at which this vapor travels
                  is dependent on the volume of your column. If this vapor flows into a
                  space with more volume, it will slow down. It will also produce a
                  venturi effect, causing a vacuum at the point of the expansion. As the
                  flow encounters the reducer, it will speed up again, and again causing
                  a pulse of back pressure at the point of restriction. The still
                  will "chug" like a steam locomotive, and you won't see any improvement
                  in quality.
                  Micio built a still like this, with venturis and evaporation plates,
                  engineered to give a predetermined amount of reflux for making grappa.
                  It works very well, but it took alot of engineering, and, as I recall,
                  alot of trial and "re-engineering".
                  If you want to give a try, go ahead. That's how we learn. If you can,
                  get some reading material on how columns work and what reflux does and
                  how it does it. Keep stillin'

                  Tip one, Morgan

                  > Just while were on the still topic ,ive got a hold of some 1inch 1/2
                  > copper and some reducers and am thinking about a bit of a upgrade on
                  > my pot still .At present its got a 3/4 column 2mtre high and iam
                  > thinking about cutting it and adding some 1 1/2 with reducers up and
                  > down the column to give a bit of reflux, sort of like a pinched neck
                  > effect .all thoughts welcome iam in the islands so have to make do
                  > with what i can find .
                  > Bali

                • balibootleg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 31, 2009
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
                    <morganfield1@...> wrote:

                    > Hey Bali,
                    >
                    > Experimentation is good, that is how we learn. But I will warn you
                    > about what you are comptiplating. Boiling wash produces vapor, which
                    > expands and flows up the column. The speed at which this vapor travels
                    > is dependent on the volume of your column. If this vapor flows into a
                    > space with more volume, it will slow down. It will also produce a
                    > venturi effect, causing a vacuum at the point of the expansion. As the
                    > flow encounters the reducer, it will speed up again, and again causing
                    > a pulse of back pressure at the point of restriction. The still
                    > will "chug" like a steam locomotive, and you won't see any improvement
                    > in quality.
                    > Micio built a still like this, with venturis and evaporation plates,
                    > engineered to give a predetermined amount of reflux for making grappa.
                    > It works very well, but it took alot of engineering, and, as I recall,
                    > alot of trial and "re-engineering".
                    > If you want to give a try, go ahead. That's how we learn. If you can,
                    > get some reading material on how columns work and what reflux does and
                    > how it does it. Keep stillin'
                    >
                    > Tip one, Morgan
                    >

                    > > Just while were on the still topic ,ive got a hold of some 1inch 1/2
                    > > copper and some reducers and am thinking about a bit of a upgrade on
                    > > my pot still .At present its got a 3/4 column 2mtre high and iam
                    > > thinking about cutting it and adding some 1 1/2 with reducers up and
                    > > down the column to give a bit of reflux, sort of like a pinched neck
                    > > effect .all thoughts welcome iam in the islands so have to make do
                    > > with what i can find .
                    > > Bali

                    Thanks Morgan ill maybe just give this ides a miss and take on board
                    what you write,am only new to all this and was just thinking that
                    reducers might have worked like the pinched neck on some pot
                    stills,any how i dont need to re invent the wheel .Thanks again
                    Bali
                  • daddyman00126
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Hello Zymurgy

                      Wanted to check out what you had for a still but was unable to find
                      your folder with your pics.

                      You must understand that I am on a new Dell Laptop with that Crappy
                      Vista on it so I am having a hard time finding my coffee let alone
                      your pics. Could you please direct me to the location, I am very
                      interested in comparing my 8gal SS pot still with a 2in column to
                      what you have.

                      Thanks
                      The best for last
                      Daddyman

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...>
                      wrote:
                      ---snip---
                      There
                      > are photos of it in the "photos" section of this list, in
                      my "Zymurgy
                      > Bob" folder.
                      >
                      > You want external heating, because electric elements will scorch the
                      > fruit pulp you will work with. The unpacked column (or large
                      diameter
                      > vertical lyne arm) allows good extraction of fruit flavors on the
                      > single-pass distillations you will probably do many of. You need the
                      > big hole to get all that fruit gunk into and out of.
                      >
                      > In addition, if you make it from a keg, you can get a great false
                      > bottom for it that will make it a great grappa still.
                      >
                      > If the design appeals to you, I'd be happy to fill you inon the
                      details.

                      > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "schnappser" <jblugel@>
                      wrote:

                      > > I am interested in making some schnapps
                      > > (plum,cherry,pear,mirabellen,rasberry etc.)what kind of still
                      should i
                      > > build?I like Matt's Offset-Head Still(Nixon-Stone design)as shown
                      on
                      > > www.homedistillers.org/.I would attach the head directly to the
                      lid
                      > > without the column as mentioned in his directions.Or should i go
                      some
                      > > other route?

                    • tgfoitwoods
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009
                        My apologies, Daddyman,

                        Because I'm also active on the Yahoo group "Distillers", I
                        missed the fact that my photos folder is in that group. You'd
                        have to be a member of that group, which I suspect you'd
                        enjoy, to see those pictures.

                        Tell you what - why don't I just email you directly so I can attach
                        those pictures?

                        I'll get right to that.

                        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"