Re: Whisky Yeast with AG

  • devilsbox2
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
      First of all this forum is great!

      > Sounds like you did something screwy here.<

      I agree and I'm ashamed to say that this is not the 1st time I've
      done something "screwy". :-)

      > Did you split the pack between your 4 washes or a packet for each?<

      As per the directons I used 1 packet for each 25L fermenter.

      >On the other hand you dont mention having any nutrients in you wash
      except for the small amount of grains.<

      After a couple days of doing mostly nothing I stirred the crap out of
      um and added 1tsp yeast nutrient and 1/2tsp yeast energizer to each.
      At once the air lock started bubbling but nothing like it should.

      >At what point in the process did you pitch the yeast?<

      I have a 12 gallon brew pot. Started with 6G of water. I followed the
      instructions in the Ian Smiley book except it took far longer than 90
      minutes for the iodine test to come in ok. I'd say twice as long.

      I pitched the yeast as per the instructions on the packet, dumped on
      top of mash, waited 15 minutes then stirred in. I did this the very
      last thing, after topping off each fermenter with water and sugar.

      >Did you do anything to aerate your mash?<

      No. After adding so much tap water didn't think I'd need to.

      >60°F (15°C) is way too cold for a distillers type yeast. You
      shocked it. And you have starved it of nutrients, particularly a
      nitrogen source like DAP.<

      Looks like this sums it up pretty good.

      I must say I have been humbled by this. Thought for sure I'd breeze
      through this part of the process.

      As we say in the fiddlin' world "So many tunes, so little time"

      Thanks

      Devilsbox
    • Dennis Crawford
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
        On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 00:07:48 -0000, you wrote:

        >As we say in the fiddlin' world "So many tunes, so little time"
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Devilsbox

        In the banjo world, we just play the same tune over and over -- saves
        time.

        DC
      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "devilsbox2" <ifiddle2@...> wrote:

          > At once the air lock started bubbling but nothing like it should.

          Hey DB,
          Git rid of those Air locks. They aint necessary in our line of work
          for Primary fermentation. Now if ya plan on settling/clearing for a
          few days in a Secondary/Carboy then you should use one for that until
          you can run the wash. Just lay the fermenter lids loosely on top of
          buckets to keep critters and insects out.
          As Harry said, Ferments go pretty fast so theres not much time for
          Nasties to settle in providing you get things right in the beginning.
          A teaspoon of DAP wont be enough. A Tablespoon at the start for a 5G
          wash is more in order. And I know that putting plant food in a wash
          sounds a bit Dodgy but for distillation it works very nice. I aint T
          T T T twitching yet.

          Mason
        • devilsbox2
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
            > Get some DAP (DiAmmonium Phosphate) & nutrients powder from
            Brewhaus.
            > Use according to directions for the number of gallons/litres you
            have.
            > Bring the mash (mashes) up to 30°C(86°F) and Re-pitch yeast.

            Little update,

            Not wanting to wait for the nutrient powder from Brewhaus I brought
            the temperature of the 4 25L fermenters up to over 80 degrees F and
            then added a mixture of one 6 oz can of tomato paste, two Tbl Miracle
            Gro and a multi vitamin to each one. Then pitched a new package of
            Whiskey Yeast with AG into each one.

            What happened next was a marvel to watch. They all took off almost
            immediately. Man those yeasty's were happy. I almost wanted to set up
            a cot in my cellar. :-)

            But I sure was worried that the taste of the Miracle Gro would come
            thru. Didn't see how it would not. After a stripping run though my
            fears were unwarranted. I cannot taste the Miracle Gro but neither
            can I taste the small amount of corn I used. So no more 25% Corn 75%
            sugar mashes for me.

            My 1st spirit run was from low wines made with a 50/50 mixture. That
            didn't turn out two bad. My goal is all grain after I get used to how
            things work.

            As for the low wines from this current project, think I'll switch to
            a vodka as the end product.

            Devilsbox
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
              wrote:

              > > Get some DAP (DiAmmonium Phosphate) & nutrients powder from
              > Brewhaus.
              > > Use according to directions for the number of gallons/litres you
              > have.
              > > Bring the mash (mashes) up to 30°C(86°F) and Re-pitch yeast.
              >
              > Little update,
              >
              > Not wanting to wait for the nutrient powder from Brewhaus I brought
              > the temperature of the 4 25L fermenters up to over 80 degrees F and
              > then added a mixture of one 6 oz can of tomato paste, two Tbl
              Miracle
              > Gro and a multi vitamin to each one. Then pitched a new package of
              > Whiskey Yeast with AG into each one.
              >
              > What happened next was a marvel to watch. They all took off almost
              > immediately. Man those yeasty's were happy. I almost wanted to set
              up
              > a cot in my cellar. :-)
              >
              > But I sure was worried that the taste of the Miracle Gro would come
              > thru. Didn't see how it would not. After a stripping run though my
              > fears were unwarranted. I cannot taste the Miracle Gro but neither
              > can I taste the small amount of corn I used. So no more 25% Corn
              75%
              > sugar mashes for me.

              I hope you've recorded all this in you notebook for future
              reference. :)

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 6, 2009
                Devil,

                Only 25% corn and 75% sugars will give you a nice corn sugar wash, but
                ya aint going to taste any corn - dats for sures.

                Again, American Bourbon makers are required to have at least 51% corn in
                their mashes. Most Bourbon and Tennessee Whiskey makers use upwards of
                60 - 75% corn..... Same as Bossy tryin to put only 1 part star fruit
                to 2 parts water in his wine and wondering why there isnt any
                flaovor.....

                Vino es Veritas,

                Jim aka Waldo.

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "devilsbox2" ifiddle2@
                > wrote:
                > >

                > > > Get some DAP (DiAmmonium Phosphate) & nutrients powder from
                > > Brewhaus.
                > > > Use according to directions for the number of gallons/litres you
                > > have.
                > > > Bring the mash (mashes) up to 30°C(86°F) and Re-pitch yeast.
                > >
                > > Little update,
                > >
                > > Not wanting to wait for the nutrient powder from Brewhaus I brought
                > > the temperature of the 4 25L fermenters up to over 80 degrees F and
                > > then added a mixture of one 6 oz can of tomato paste, two Tbl
                > Miracle
                > > Gro and a multi vitamin to each one. Then pitched a new package of
                > > Whiskey Yeast with AG into each one.
                > >
                > > What happened next was a marvel to watch. They all took off almost
                > > immediately. Man those yeasty's were happy. I almost wanted to set
                > up
                > > a cot in my cellar. :-)
                > >
                > > But I sure was worried that the taste of the Miracle Gro would come
                > > thru. Didn't see how it would not. After a stripping run though my
                > > fears were unwarranted. I cannot taste the Miracle Gro but neither
                > > can I taste the small amount of corn I used. So no more 25% Corn
                > 75%
                > > sugar mashes for me.
                >

                > I hope you've recorded all this in you notebook for future
                > reference. :)
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • devilsbox2
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                  > > At once the air lock started bubbling but nothing like it should.
                  >

                  > Hey DB,
                  > Git rid of those Air locks. They aint necessary in our line of work
                  > for Primary fermentation.

                  I did as you suggested......... reluctantly. Old habits die hard.

                  Devilsbox
                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "devilsbox2" <ifiddle2@...> wrote:

                    > > Hey DB,
                    > > Git rid of those Air locks. They aint necessary in our line of work
                    > > for Primary fermentation.
                    >
                    > I did as you suggested......... reluctantly. Old habits die hard.
                    >
                    > Devilsbox

                    So did it Help?

                    Mason
                  • devilsbox2
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 8, 2009
                      > > > Hey DB,
                      > > > Git rid of those Air locks. They aint necessary in our line of
                      work
                      > > > for Primary fermentation.
                      > >
                      > > I did as you suggested......... reluctantly. Old habits die hard.
                      > >
                      > > Devilsbox
                      > >

                      > So did it Help?
                      >
                      > Mason

                      Well, the 25/75 (corn/sugar) mash that got stuck is all stripped. I
                      used airlocks from start to finish on those. Because there was no
                      taste to the low wines, that I can detect, I decided to shoot for a
                      vodka instead.

                      So now I've got some MUM washes working. I didn't see your "can the
                      airlocks" post till this morning. I did remove the airlocks and
                      loosen the covers this morning. They were working pretty good when I
                      did that. Don't really know if it helped yet.

                      Question I'm asking myself is why would removing an airlock and
                      loosening up a cover help a fermentation?

                      I've got so much to learn. <sigh>

                      Devilsbox