Making Tequila

  • loun2001
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 26, 2009
      Have searched high and low on the net and am unable to find any
      specific recipes on making tequila. The only thing I *do* know is that
      one starts out with blue agave (concentrate).

      Does anyone have any additional info they could share?
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 26, 2009
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loun2001" <fortanthony@...> wrote:

        > Have searched high and low on the net and am unable to find any
        > specific recipes on making tequila. The only thing I *do* know is that
        > one starts out with blue agave (concentrate).
        >
        > Does anyone have any additional info they could share?

        Not much but a start.

        mason
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 26, 2009

          From what I've read, fermenting blue agave sap (juice) is just like using molassas for rum or honey for mead etc.  The hard part is finding it.  Your definitly going to need nutrients and treat it just like a rum or sugar wash.

          The best description I've seen on Tequila making is http://www.ianchadwick.com/tequila

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loun2001" <fortanthony@...> wrote:

          > Have searched high and low on the net and am unable to find any
          > specific recipes on making tequila. The only thing I *do* know is that
          > one starts out with blue agave (concentrate).
          >
          > Does anyone have any additional info they could share?

        • Peers Cawley
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 26, 2009
            Hi there,

            I can't remember where I read it on the net - I have been trying this
            morning but my connection sucks.

            Somewhere I read that the active flavour for tequila was an ester
            called Illum which is present in agave but also in Jeruselam
            artichokes, onions, bananas and a few other fruits and some guys where
            doing tequila experiments with those and were apparently getting some
            reasonable results.

            Regards

            Cheers from Peers
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 26, 2009
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley" <peers_c@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi there,
              >
              > I can't remember where I read it on the net - I have been trying this
              > morning but my connection sucks.
              >
              > Somewhere I read that the active flavour for tequila was an ester
              > called Illum which is present in agave but also in Jeruselam
              > artichokes, onions, bananas and a few other fruits and some guys where
              > doing tequila experiments with those and were apparently getting some
              > reasonable results.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Cheers from Peers

              Not an ester. It's INULIN, A polysaccharide (sugar) made up of 30
              fructose units joined together. Present in many plants, mainly roots &
              tubers like onions & chicory root.

              Fructose is the monosaccharide (simple sugar) found in fruits & honey.

              And yes, you can make a passable tequila from baked & boiled onions.
              But it takes a lot of 'em to make a little.

            • burrows206
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 27, 2009
                Hi Harry,
                I've noticed when you put a whole peeled onion into a microwave the
                spicy hotness of the onion is concentrated inside the onion and of
                course it cooks. The upshot is that the spicy heat changes to a nice
                sweet tasting flavour.
                Would that be another way nature has of storing and protecting the
                sugar in the onion? Similar to the way starch in plants is a form of
                sugar. Following (and rambling on as I do) from this observation,
                could this sugar conversion method be utilized and could you boil the
                onions in a big pan of water to now extract the sugar from the onion
                and make a form of Tequila from the adjusted wash. Just thinking and
                if anyone cares to comment feel free to I'm just pushing the
                boundaries
                Geoff

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley" <peers_c@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi there,
                > >
                > > I can't remember where I read it on the net - I have been trying
                this
                > > morning but my connection sucks.
                > >
                > > Somewhere I read that the active flavour for tequila was an ester
                > > called Illum which is present in agave but also in Jeruselam
                > > artichokes, onions, bananas and a few other fruits and some guys
                where
                > > doing tequila experiments with those and were apparently getting
                some
                > > reasonable results.
                > >
                > > Regards
                > >
                > > Cheers from Peers
                > >

                > Not an ester. It's INULIN, A polysaccharide (sugar) made up of 30
                > fructose units joined together. Present in many plants, mainly
                roots &
                > tubers like onions & chicory root.
                >
                > Fructose is the monosaccharide (simple sugar) found in fruits &
                honey.

                > And yes, you can make a passable tequila from baked & boiled
                onions.
                > But it takes a lot of 'em to make a little.
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry

              • pugidogs1
                Message 7 of 23 , Jan 27, 2009
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
                  <jeffrey.burrows@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Harry,
                  > I've noticed when you put a whole peeled onion into a microwave the
                  > spicy hotness of the onion is concentrated inside the onion and of
                  > course it cooks. The upshot is that the spicy heat changes to a
                  nice
                  > sweet tasting flavour.
                  > Would that be another way nature has of storing and protecting the
                  > sugar in the onion? Similar to the way starch in plants is a form
                  of
                  > sugar. Following (and rambling on as I do) from this observation,
                  > could this sugar conversion method be utilized and could you boil
                  the
                  > onions in a big pan of water to now extract the sugar from the
                  onion
                  > and make a form of Tequila from the adjusted wash. Just thinking
                  and
                  > if anyone cares to comment feel free to I'm just pushing the
                  > boundaries
                  > Geoff
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley" <peers_c@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hi there,
                  > > >
                  > > > I can't remember where I read it on the net - I have been
                  trying
                  > this
                  > > > morning but my connection sucks.
                  > > >
                  > > > Somewhere I read that the active flavour for tequila was an
                  ester
                  > > > called Illum which is present in agave but also in Jeruselam
                  > > > artichokes, onions, bananas and a few other fruits and some
                  guys
                  > where
                  > > > doing tequila experiments with those and were apparently
                  getting
                  > some
                  > > > reasonable results.
                  > > >
                  > > > Regards
                  > > >
                  > > > Cheers from Peers
                  > > >

                  > > Not an ester. It's INULIN, A polysaccharide (sugar) made up of
                  30
                  > > fructose units joined together. Present in many plants, mainly
                  > roots &
                  > > tubers like onions & chicory root.
                  > >
                  > > Fructose is the monosaccharide (simple sugar) found in fruits &
                  > honey.
                  > >
                  > > And yes, you can make a passable tequila from baked & boiled
                  > onions.
                  > > But it takes a lot of 'em to make a little.
                  > >
                  > > Slainte!
                  > > regards Harry

                  http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7535

                  Here is my take on it. Pugi
                • burrows206
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 27, 2009
                    Hi pugidog,
                    Good on ya well done, I knew there had to be another head banger
                    out there like me doing the odd ball thing. Looks like you been
                    there, done that, got pissed and puked over the tea shirt at the bar
                    bee. Let's see what else gets reeled in on this innocent sounding
                    thread
                    Geoff
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pugidogs1" <pugidogs1@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "burrows206"
                    > <jeffrey.burrows@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Harry,
                    > > I've noticed when you put a whole peeled onion into a microwave
                    the
                    > > spicy hotness of the onion is concentrated inside the onion and
                    of
                    > > course it cooks. The upshot is that the spicy heat changes to a
                    > nice
                    > > sweet tasting flavour.
                    > > Would that be another way nature has of storing and protecting
                    the
                    > > sugar in the onion? Similar to the way starch in plants is a
                    form
                    > of
                    > > sugar. Following (and rambling on as I do) from this
                    observation,
                    > > could this sugar conversion method be utilized and could you boil
                    > the
                    > > onions in a big pan of water to now extract the sugar from the
                    > onion
                    > > and make a form of Tequila from the adjusted wash. Just thinking
                    > and
                    > > if anyone cares to comment feel free to I'm just pushing the
                    > > boundaries
                    > > Geoff
                    > >

                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley"
                    <peers_c@>

                    > trying
                    > > this

                    > ester
                    > guys
                    > > where
                    > getting
                    > > some

                    > > > Not an ester. It's INULIN, A polysaccharide (sugar) made up of
                    > 30
                    > > > fructose units joined together. Present in many plants, mainly
                    > > roots &
                    > > > tubers like onions & chicory root.
                    > > >
                    > > > Fructose is the monosaccharide (simple sugar) found in fruits &
                    > > honey.
                    > > >
                    > > > And yes, you can make a passable tequila from baked & boiled
                    > > onions.
                    > > > But it takes a lot of 'em to make a little.
                    > > >
                    > > > Slainte!
                    > > > regards Harry
                    > > >

                    > http://www.homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7535
                    >
                    > Here is my take on it. Pugi

                  • burrows206
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 27, 2009
                      Hi Harry,

                      Sorry for not reading your whole posting. I posted with only half your
                      info in the "hippi campus" a bit of a grey area that. Nuf said

                      Geoff

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley" peers_c@
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi there,
                      > >
                      > > I can't remember where I read it on the net - I have been trying
                      this
                      > > morning but my connection sucks.
                      > >
                      > > Somewhere I read that the active flavour for tequila was an ester
                      > > called Illum which is present in agave but also in Jeruselam
                      > > artichokes, onions, bananas and a few other fruits and some guys
                      where
                      > > doing tequila experiments with those and were apparently getting
                      some
                      > > reasonable results.
                      > >
                      > > Regards
                      > >
                      > > Cheers from Peers
                      > >

                      > Not an ester. It's INULIN, A polysaccharide (sugar) made up of 30
                      > fructose units joined together. Present in many plants, mainly roots &
                      > tubers like onions & chicory root.
                      >
                      > Fructose is the monosaccharide (simple sugar) found in fruits & honey.
                      >
                      > And yes, you can make a passable tequila from baked & boiled onions.
                      > But it takes a lot of 'em to make a little.
                      >
                      > Slainte!
                      > regards Harry

                    • Peers Cawley
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 27, 2009

                        I new I had read it somewhere,

                        Sorry for my mis-spelling Harry.

                        Onions - If you make french onion soup you always need a lot of onions for a mediocre quantity of soup.

                        If anyone is in the UK and wants Jerusalem Artichokes my sister grows shed loads of the things. We had them for christmas dinner roasted with parsnips and they are very sweet.

                        Does sweet potato contain Inulin cos I can get raft loads of those at my local market very cheep. I can give it a go a do some experiments.

                        Cheers from Peers
                      • loun2001
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 28, 2009
                          thanks .. that was a great thread! but its hard to believe that
                          theres so little information on making such a popular drink. i guess
                          there are just very few adventurous people left in this world. :(

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loun2001" <fortanthony@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Have searched high and low on the net and am unable to find any
                          > > specific recipes on making tequila. The only thing I *do* know is that
                          > > one starts out with blue agave (concentrate).
                          > >
                          > > Does anyone have any additional info they could share?

                          > Not much but a start.
                          >
                          > mason

                        • mikejwoodnz
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 28, 2009
                            wrote:

                            > thanks .. that was a great thread! but its hard to believe that
                            > theres so little information on making such a popular drink. i
                            guess
                            > there are just very few adventurous people left in this world. :(
                            >
                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loun2001" <fortanthony@>
                            wrote:

                            > > > Have searched high and low on the net and am unable to find any
                            > > > specific recipes on making tequila. The only thing I *do* know
                            is that
                            > > > one starts out with blue agave (concentrate).
                            > > >
                            > > > Does anyone have any additional info they could share?

                            > > Not much but a start.
                            > >
                            > > mason

                            Tequila Information :

                            http://www.tequilasource.com/

                            http://www.itequila.org/

                            http://www.foag.co.cc
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 28, 2009

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "loun2001" <fortanthony@...> wrote:

                              > thanks .. that was a great thread!  but its hard to believe that
                              > theres so little information on making such a popular drink. i guess
                              > there are just very few adventurous people left in this world. :(

                              There's a TON of info about if one takes the time for a bit of research.  In my meanderings I've discovered that Inulin is a polysaccharide, a starch made up of 30 units of fructose, which is the main simple sugar of fruits.  Inulin needs to be hydrolyzed (cooked with water, or steam preferably) to release the fructose for fermentation.  Pressure cooking at 120°C for a couple hours is economical.  Traditional methods call for baking over several days.

                              Many fruits, tubers etc. contain Inulin.  Jerusalem Artichokes, onions, chicory, yams (sweet potato) are just some that have it.  Jerusalem Artichokes also contain a small amount of the enzyme Inulase.  This enzyme is capable of splitting Inulin into Fructose, much like Barley Malt (Maltase aka Diastase) converts maltose into glucose.

                              The whole subject of enzymes is a fascinating study.  Each enzyme works on a specific type of sugar.  Some take the process part-way in order for others to complete the job.  Yeast produces the enzymes maltase, zymase, and invertase. Maltase converts maltose to glucose. Zymase converts glucose to ethanol.  Invertase converts any sucrose present into fermentable sugar.

                              I also found out what nutrients are required for ferments of inulin type washes, and info about using Aspergillus Niger.

                              Try these links...

                              http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/The_Alcohol_Textbook/Tequila_from_agave/

                              http://www.jstor.org/pss/2465330

                              http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20020119217.pdf

                              You may need to create an acct to view & download the patent, but it's FREE.

                              Perhaps you may become one of the "very few adventurous people"  :)

                              Enjoy!

                            • Peers Cawley
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 28, 2009

                                Harry.

                                Very interesting information.

                                Virtually all onions here are a) Exceptionally strong flavour b) Infected with black mould between first few layers of skin and c) Organic

                                I can get sweet potatoes down in the local market for nothing, they are part of the staple diet here.

                                I can feel and experiment or two coming on. Watch this space as they say!

                                Cheers From Peers

                              • sabajose@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 29, 2009
                                  Dear mike, I have to say that tequila is hard because the agave have to be fresh and to call it tequila as to be made in jalisco mexico, otherwise is call mezcal and you can change the name but legally can not be call tequila made in usa. Mike try something similar but not 100% tequila been adventurous is hard because not everything is as it look. I wish you good luck

                                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  From: "mikejwoodnz"
                                  Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 21:50:21 -0000
                                  To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>

                                  wrote:

                                  > thanks .. that was a great thread! but its hard to believe that
                                  > theres so little information on making such a popular drink. i
                                  guess
                                  > there are just very few adventurous people left in this world. :(
                                  >
                                  > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@ >
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "loun2001" <fortanthony@ >
                                  wrote:

                                  > > > Have searched high and low on the net and am unable to find any
                                  > > > specific recipes on making tequila. The only thing I *do* know
                                  is that
                                  > > > one starts out with blue agave (concentrate) .
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Does anyone have any additional info they could share?
                                  > > >
                                  > > http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/Distillers /message/ 18728
                                  > > Not much but a start.
                                  > >
                                  > > mason

                                  Tequila Information :

                                  http://www.tequilas ource.com/

                                  http://www.itequila .org/

                                  http://www.foag. co.cc

                                • Peers Cawley
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jan 31, 2009

                                    Thanks Harry and Pugi for the work you have done – It has given me an idea.

                                    Check out this page

                                    http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0001-37141998000400013

                                    Now for the mad science – I have had a lab confirm that the onions that are available at the local market are infected with Aspergillus Niger.

                                    If I understand the science here, Aspergillus Niger replication should reach it’s peak after 24 hours and inulase conversion in 48 hours fructose conversion complete in 60 hours at 65 degrees C. What the lab haven’t told me is what strain of niger it is. Maybe go back and ask them. Thing is, it’s not really their field they are more used to blood, urine and stool samples.

                                     What I am thinking is to pitch say three kilos of yam / peeled sweet potato and one and a half kilo’s of Niger infected onion through a mincer – add nitrogen source drop P.H. Down to 5 and incubate for 72 hours at 60 degrees C. ( I have a large coolbox that you reverse polarity to be a warming box). At this point if the science has worked I should have converted all the Inulin to Fructose. So I can treat as a normal fruit wash, I can cool the mix with water, add sulphite. 24 hour later check S.G. add  sugar if needed and add the yeast.

                                    From the on it’ suck it and see.

                                    I work as food technician and have a fair bit of experience but this is not really my field. I am more used to making food keep longer – But worth a try cos I love tequila.

                                    Anyone tried something like this before

                                    Cheers From Peers

                                  • waljaco
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jan 31, 2009
                                      Use Chinese rice yeast balls - it is a combination of fungi and yeast.
                                      wal

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009
                                        wrote:

                                        > I work as food technician and have a fair bit of experience but
                                        this is not
                                        > really my field. I am more used to making food keep longer - But
                                        worth a try
                                        > cos I love tequila.
                                        >

                                        > Anyone tried something like this before
                                        >

                                        > Cheers From Peers

                                        You could be on to something here. I'd use a kitchen blender for the
                                        onions, to expose all the flesh to the fungus. Keep us informed of
                                        the progress.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009
                                          Hey Peers and All,

                                          I couldn't believe it. I walked into one of them little natural healt
                                          stores looking for some diastatic malt extract and low and behold -
                                          bottles and bottles of pure Blue Agave Nectar !!!!! It seems them
                                          naturalists use it as a non-sucrose type sweetener instead of Sweet n
                                          Low because of the natural insulin.....

                                          Might be worth looking into Peers rather then playing with those smelly
                                          oninons lol. If its in a heatlh food store in some backwoods town in
                                          ol' Virgini here, then it shouldn't be too hard to find else where. Of
                                          course the salesman came over and I asked him if he had any liquid or
                                          powered malt extract (didnt mention diastatic though) and he looked at
                                          me cross-eyed LoL. Oh well have to look some more.

                                          Vino es Veritas,

                                          Jim aka Walso.

                                          PS. the small bottles were around 2 buck US and the large ones around 5
                                          bucks US. Not sure how much you would use, but it was as thick ans
                                          syurpy as molassas, so you might try it with some regular or brown
                                          sugars.

                                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peers Cawley" peers_c@
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >

                                          > > I work as food technician and have a fair bit of experience but
                                          > this is not
                                          > > really my field. I am more used to making food keep longer - But
                                          > worth a try
                                          > > cos I love tequila.
                                          > >

                                          > > Anyone tried something like this before
                                          > >

                                          > > Cheers From Peers
                                          > >

                                          > You could be on to something here. I'd use a kitchen blender for the
                                          > onions, to expose all the flesh to the fungus. Keep us informed of
                                          > the progress.
                                          >

                                          > Slainte!
                                          > regards Harry

                                        • Peers Cawley
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009

                                            LOL – I have seen agave extracts in health food stores in England but for £ 14.99 for 500mls.

                                            You have to work with what’s available and where I am in the desserts of the middle east. I have more chance of seeing a Polar Bear than a health food shop.

                                            Cheers From Peers

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 1, 2009
                                              Oh well Peers,

                                              It was a shot.....

                                              Regards,

                                              Jim.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009
                                                Try homebrew stores for bulk agave syrup.  http://www.maltproducts.com/products.sweetners.html has it in 5 gallon buckets (60 pounds) up to tanker trucks.  They don't seem to have ordering info though, so not sure how small they will ship.

                                                I like the idea of the onions and sweet taters though.  Sounds just like making sake.

                                                I wonder if there are other organisms you will culture though, please keep us updated, very exciting experiment.

                                                wrote:

                                                > --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "Peers Cawley" peers_c@
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >

                                                > > I work as food technician and have a fair bit of experience but
                                                > this is not
                                                > > really my field. I am more used to making food keep longer - But
                                                > worth a try
                                                > > cos I love tequila.
                                                > >

                                                > > Anyone tried something like this before
                                                > >

                                                > > Cheers From Peers
                                                > >

                                                > You could be on to something here. I'd use a kitchen blender for the
                                                > onions, to expose all the flesh to the fungus. Keep us informed of
                                                > the progress.
                                                >

                                                > Slainte!
                                                > regards Harry

                                              • Peers Cawley
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Feb 2, 2009

                                                  I am really doing this for a little bit of experimentation, Like Bossy (and a few others I am sure) live 1000nds of kilometres from the nearest homebrew store. Importing stuff is nightmare too with over 40 percent import duty. I have to rely on what other people can bring in their luggage or make do with what’s available.

                                                  As regards other organisms, that was one reason for the lab test. Too see what was growing inside the onion. The aspergillus niger is a black mould that grows in the first few layers of the onion often only just visible on the outer skin. I took samples from the outer and inner skins. The outer skin had a gram negative staph (probably from handling and packing) present. On the inner layer sample only the niger  was present. It may be a case that only the strongest survive and the Aspergillus Niger takes over.

                                                  I have also changed my mind about sulphating in favour of heat treatment at the end of Enzyme activity prior to fermentation. Heat treatment is available to all and will destroy any myco toxins that are produced by any rogue bacteria.

                                                  I am emptying the last of my fermenting bins this week and should make a start next weekend. I keep you all posted how it goes.

                                                  Cheers From Peers