87% ABV

  • goodneighbor69
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 25, 2009
      i re ran my first batch today. i insulated the boiler and column.
      brought it up to temp. adjusted the flame low to as i could to
      maintain temp. ran at full reflux for 30 min before taking off @ 2-3
      drops per second. long story short 87% ABV. if i took off faster the
      ABV dropped
      slower well cant go much slower. do i need a longer column? or
      different packing? i have 36"x 2" column.

      any suggestions to improve ABV
    • morganfield1
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 25, 2009
        Hey Neighbor,

        Actually, 2 to 3 drops per second is pretty fast. I take it you're
        looking for high ninetys, first you need 36" of "packed" column,(40"
        would be better) with a 1 to 2 inch space above that for vapor
        mixing. Let the column run at full reflux for an hour, that'l help.
        When I'm looking to get high proof stuff, I usually take about 1 drop
        per second with about 1 kw of power to the boiler. HTH

        Tip one, Morgan
        P.S. I run a rig similar to yours.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
        <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

        > i re ran my first batch today. i insulated the boiler and column.
        > brought it up to temp. adjusted the flame low to as i could to
        > maintain temp. ran at full reflux for 30 min before taking off @ 2-3
        > drops per second. long story short 87% ABV. if i took off faster the
        > ABV dropped
        > slower well cant go much slower. do i need a longer column? or
        > different packing? i have 36"x 2" column.

        c/list

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 25, 2009
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
          <morganfield1@...> wrote:

          > Hey Neighbor,
          >
          > Actually, 2 to 3 drops per second is pretty fast. I take it you're
          > looking for high ninetys, first you need 36" of "packed" column,(40"
          > would be better) with a 1 to 2 inch space above that for vapor
          > mixing. Let the column run at full reflux for an hour, that'l help.
          > When I'm looking to get high proof stuff, I usually take about 1 drop
          > per second with about 1 kw of power to the boiler. HTH
          >
          > Tip one, Morgan
          > P.S. I run a rig similar to yours.

          i have 36" packed and without running out side ide say about 6-8"above
          column before the 90. so the longer the better at full reflux? is
          there a point where it would be non beneficial? im not sure of the kw
          to propane conversion. but im guessing low and slo.
        • tim smith
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 25, 2009
            Hi
            You didn't mention your mash %. without a strip run, sometimes 87% is good..

            > Actually, 2 to 3 drops per second is pretty fast. I take it you're
            > looking for high ninetys, first you need 36" of "packed" column,(40"
            > would be better) with a 1 to 2 inch space above that for vapor
            > mixing. Let the column run at full reflux for an hour, that'l help.
            > When I'm looking to get high proof stuff, I usually take about 1 drop
            > per second with about 1 kw of power to the boiler. HTH
            >
            > Tip one, Morgan
            > P.S. I run a rig similar to yours.

            i have 36" packed and without running out side ide say about 6-8"above
            column before the 90. so the longer the better at full reflux? is
            there a point where it would be non beneficial? im not sure of the kw
            to propane conversion. but im guessing low and slo.

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
              No it's not. It is really quite easy to get 95.6% ABV from a mash if
              you have a basic column still and you operate it properly. Whether that
              95.6% from mash tastes neutral or not - well - probably not.

              Slainte, Riku

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi
              > You didn't mention your mash %. without a strip run, sometimes 87% is
              good..

            • goodneighbor69
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > You didn't mention your mash %. without a strip run, sometimes 87%
                is good..

                this was a redistill of my first spirit run. it had an off taste so i
                thought ide re do it. cleaned the taste up some but ABV basically
                stayed the same.
              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                  <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi
                  > > You didn't mention your mash %. without a strip run, sometimes 87%
                  > is good..
                  > >

                  > this was a redistill of my first spirit run. it had an off taste so i
                  > thought ide re do it. cleaned the taste up some but ABV basically
                  > stayed the same.

                  How was the reflux return valve adjusted? I usually let the column
                  equalize for at least an hour. From what i have read and been told a
                  2" rig like that should be able to achieve 500+ml/hour take off rates
                  at 95% abv. How was it packed? I remember you using those Choreboy
                  scrubbers but what was the method you used for disassembling them and
                  re rolling? Are you sure there are no leaks in the rig that would
                  allow water to get to the spirit?

                  Mason
                • goodneighbor69
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                    > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@>
                    wrote:

                    > > > Hi
                    > > > You didn't mention your mash %. without a strip run, sometimes 87%
                    > > is good..
                    > > >

                    > > this was a redistill of my first spirit run. it had an off taste so i
                    > > thought ide re do it. cleaned the taste up some but ABV basically
                    > > stayed the same.
                    > >

                    > How was the reflux return valve adjusted? I usually let the column
                    > equalize for at least an hour. From what i have read and been told a
                    > 2" rig like that should be able to achieve 500+ml/hour take off rates
                    > at 95% abv. How was it packed? I remember you using those Choreboy
                    > scrubbers but what was the method you used for disassembling them and
                    > re rolling? Are you sure there are no leaks in the rig that would
                    > allow water to get to the spirit?
                    >
                    > Mason

                    all or both fittings for the coil are external so any leak would be
                    outside of the rig. i didnt dismantle the scrubbers. should i have?
                    i just fluffed them up as to touch all the way around the ID of
                    column,and stacked them on top of each other. is there a better
                    product to use? i was under the impression that scrubbers was it for
                    smaller dia. columns . as i believe you suggested before i have the
                    reflux valve wide open and only adjust the take off. i did only let it
                    run full refux for 30 min. this must be part of my problem.
                  • rye_junkie1
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                      <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                      > all or both fittings for the coil are external so any leak would be
                      > outside of the rig. i didnt dismantle the scrubbers. should i have?
                      > i just fluffed them up as to touch all the way around the ID of
                      > column,and stacked them on top of each other. is there a better
                      > product to use? i was under the impression that scrubbers was it for
                      > smaller dia. columns . as i believe you suggested before i have the
                      > reflux valve wide open and only adjust the take off. i did only let it
                      > run full refux for 30 min. this must be part of my problem.

                      The way you are using the scrubbers could very well be the problem.
                      You need to take them apart anyway to get the plastic band that holds
                      them together in the center out. You dont want that in there. Once
                      that is removed you will have a donut shaped scrubber. Cut on side of
                      it so that now you have a long rolled tube. For that column you will
                      probably have to unroll 2 maybe 3 and then roll them up together to
                      get a diameter that fits the column. Then you push them carefully
                      into the column with a broom stick or piece of PVC pipe.
                      The other thing you might have going on is a heat issue. It helps to
                      know what reflux ratio you are running. Its hard to figure with gas
                      but i think you could get close. With water run the still with the
                      flame set at what you think you will be running at. Close the reflux
                      valve and open the product valve all the way. Measure the take off
                      rate in minutes. Say at that flame setting you are getting 100ml/min.
                      You need a ratio of about 10% take off. So for your spirit run you
                      would set the flame about the same and after equilibrium set the take
                      off valve for 10ml/min. For a 2" column a no reflux take off rate of
                      100ml/min from what I understand would be about right. Then just set
                      the valve for 10ml/min. This is why I switched to internal elements.
                      The power going to the boiler is measurable and therefore results are
                      repeatable or at least easier to troubleshoot.

                      Mason
                    • goodneighbor69
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                        > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                        >
                        > > all or both fittings for the coil are external so any leak would be
                        > > outside of the rig. i didnt dismantle the scrubbers. should i have?
                        > > i just fluffed them up as to touch all the way around the ID of
                        > > column,and stacked them on top of each other. is there a better
                        > > product to use? i was under the impression that scrubbers was it for
                        > > smaller dia. columns . as i believe you suggested before i have the
                        > > reflux valve wide open and only adjust the take off. i did only let it
                        > > run full refux for 30 min. this must be part of my problem.
                        >
                        > The way you are using the scrubbers could very well be the problem.
                        > You need to take them apart anyway to get the plastic band that holds
                        > them together in the center out. You dont want that in there. Once
                        > that is removed you will have a donut shaped scrubber. Cut on side of
                        > it so that now you have a long rolled tube. For that column you will
                        > probably have to unroll 2 maybe 3 and then roll them up together to
                        > get a diameter that fits the column. Then you push them carefully
                        > into the column with a broom stick or piece of PVC pipe.
                        > The other thing you might have going on is a heat issue. It helps to
                        > know what reflux ratio you are running. Its hard to figure with gas
                        > but i think you could get close. With water run the still with the
                        > flame set at what you think you will be running at. Close the reflux
                        > valve and open the product valve all the way. Measure the take off
                        > rate in minutes. Say at that flame setting you are getting 100ml/min.
                        > You need a ratio of about 10% take off. So for your spirit run you
                        > would set the flame about the same and after equilibrium set the take
                        > off valve for 10ml/min. For a 2" column a no reflux take off rate of
                        > 100ml/min from what I understand would be about right. Then just set
                        > the valve for 10ml/min. This is why I switched to internal elements.
                        > The power going to the boiler is measurable and therefore results are
                        > repeatable or at least easier to troubleshoot.
                        >
                        > Mason

                        thanx Mason,
                        at first i thought you might have explained a little off taste. i had
                        an extra scrubber out of the column. i took it apart , it was just
                        twisted in center no rubber. but what i have is like a mesh sleeve.
                        i will undo the rest and re roll them. so that i have a more
                        structured packing through out the column. ill work on finding that RR.
                      • rye_junkie1
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                          <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                          > > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > all or both fittings for the coil are external so any leak would be
                          > > > outside of the rig. i didnt dismantle the scrubbers. should i have?
                          > > > i just fluffed them up as to touch all the way around the ID of
                          > > > column,and stacked them on top of each other. is there a better
                          > > > product to use? i was under the impression that scrubbers was it for
                          > > > smaller dia. columns . as i believe you suggested before i have the
                          > > > reflux valve wide open and only adjust the take off. i did only
                          let it
                          > > > run full refux for 30 min. this must be part of my problem.
                          > >
                          > > The way you are using the scrubbers could very well be the problem.
                          > > You need to take them apart anyway to get the plastic band that holds
                          > > them together in the center out. You dont want that in there. Once
                          > > that is removed you will have a donut shaped scrubber. Cut on side of
                          > > it so that now you have a long rolled tube. For that column you will
                          > > probably have to unroll 2 maybe 3 and then roll them up together to
                          > > get a diameter that fits the column. Then you push them carefully
                          > > into the column with a broom stick or piece of PVC pipe.
                          > > The other thing you might have going on is a heat issue. It helps to
                          > > know what reflux ratio you are running. Its hard to figure with gas
                          > > but i think you could get close. With water run the still with the
                          > > flame set at what you think you will be running at. Close the reflux
                          > > valve and open the product valve all the way. Measure the take off
                          > > rate in minutes. Say at that flame setting you are getting 100ml/min.
                          > > You need a ratio of about 10% take off. So for your spirit run you
                          > > would set the flame about the same and after equilibrium set the take
                          > > off valve for 10ml/min. For a 2" column a no reflux take off rate of
                          > > 100ml/min from what I understand would be about right. Then just set
                          > > the valve for 10ml/min. This is why I switched to internal elements.
                          > > The power going to the boiler is measurable and therefore results are
                          > > repeatable or at least easier to troubleshoot.
                          > >
                          > > Mason

                          > thanx Mason,
                          > at first i thought you might have explained a little off taste. i had
                          > an extra scrubber out of the column. i took it apart , it was just
                          > twisted in center no rubber. but what i have is like a mesh sleeve.
                          > i will undo the rest and re roll them. so that i have a more
                          > structured packing through out the column. ill work on finding that RR.

                          There are a couple of reasons that you need to know the Reflux Ratio.
                          To achieve that 10% mark can be tricky because of the differences in
                          heat applied to the Boiler. Ie watts. I only get into this so others
                          that dont understand may. If you are putting 1500watts to the boiler,
                          lets say that achieves a max take off rate of 150ml/minute. Then you
                          would need a take off rate of 15ml/min for a 10% RR. Now if you are
                          pushing the boiler with 750watts and the max take off was 50ml/minute
                          then you would have to slow the take off to a minute 5ml/min to
                          achieve the same ratio. So if you do not know the max output of the
                          rig at a given wattage/BTU then you are shooting in the dark as to
                          Reflux ratio. It is possible that you have the gas turned down so low
                          and slow that even at 3-4 drops/second you are taking the max the
                          still is delivering and not refluxing anything at all. In this case
                          applying more heat(to a point) might actually bring up the ABV because
                          you are increasing the RR. Columns do have a limit. 2" can handle
                          more heat than a 1.5", 3" more than 2", 4" more than 3" and so on.
                          This is way over simplifying the subject but I think it gets the
                          importance of the "Numbers" across.

                          Mason
                        • goodneighbor69
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                            point taken. i will get the RR today.
                          • rye_junkie1
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                              Hey neighbor,
                              If you dont mind giving away your source, where did you pick
                              up those choreboy scrubbers? My 2" column build is coming to a close
                              and I am going to need a few extras for the larger column. The local
                              H ware store has good ones but they are near 4 bucks each. Thanks.

                              Mason
                            • rhodeseng
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                I bought some at the chain grocery store in town. Just be sure to
                                check that they are copper and not copper clad plastic.

                                cary

                                > Hey neighbor,
                                > If you dont mind giving away your source, where did you pick
                                > up those choreboy scrubbers? My 2" column build is coming to a close
                                > and I am going to need a few extras for the larger column. The local
                                > H ware store has good ones but they are near 4 bucks each. Thanks.
                                >
                                > Mason

                              • goodneighbor69
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009

                                  > Hey neighbor,
                                  > If you dont mind giving away your source, where did you pick
                                  > up those choreboy scrubbers? My 2" column build is coming to a close
                                  > and I am going to need a few extras for the larger column. The local
                                  > H ware store has good ones but they are near 4 bucks each. Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > Mason

                                  i found them @ ACE Hardware. there are about 7 within 45min of here
                                  and only one had them. you can get them online tho.
                                  http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1279060&cp=&sr=1&kw=chore+boy&origkw=chore+boy&parentPage=search&searchId=35096295553
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009

                                    Mason,

                                    Check out http://www.cust-service.org/MTC/WTB.aspx

                                    Choreboy will give you the locations of stores that carry them in your area  - but since I dont know your zip code, cant complete the form:

                                    For a list of stores in your area that carry our products, please indicate:

                                    The brand you're inquiring about:

                                    The specific product :

                                    Your 5-digit ZIP code (U.S.):

                                    Or your Province (Canada):

                                    Regards,

                                    Jim.

                                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rhodeseng" <rhodeseng@...> wrote:

                                    > I bought some at the chain grocery store in town. Just be sure to
                                    > check that they are copper and not copper clad plastic.
                                    >
                                    > cary
                                    >

                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" rye_junkie@
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Hey neighbor,
                                    > > If you dont mind giving away your source, where did you pick
                                    > > up those choreboy scrubbers? My 2" column build is coming to a close
                                    > > and I am going to need a few extras for the larger column. The local
                                    > > H ware store has good ones but they are near 4 bucks each. Thanks.
                                    > >
                                    > > Mason

                                  • rye_junkie1
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                      <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

                                      > Mason,
                                      >
                                      > Check out http://www.cust-service.org/MTC/WTB.aspx
                                      > <http://www.cust-service.org/MTC/WTB.aspx>
                                      >
                                      > Choreboy will give you the locations of stores that carry them in your
                                      > area - but since I dont know your zip code, cant complete the form:
                                      >
                                      > [http://www.cust-service.org/MTC/pg-head-locator.gif%5d

                                      I tried that locator and it gave me a not available in your area.
                                      I called them and they gave me some options. Gonna try the local Ace
                                      here first.
                                      www.teebop.com was recommended by the Lady at choreboy. Very helpful
                                      folks.
                                      Thanks guys.

                                      Mason
                                    • rye_junkie1
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                        Hey Neighbor, I just approved your pic. That will help tremendously
                                        when it comes time to explain it to the next guy. Now that you have
                                        done it it has to make more sense. You get a better structure with
                                        less material and probably improved efficiency to boot.

                                        Mason
                                      • morganfield1
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                          Hey Neighbor,

                                          Mason has a good point, I was going to mention there may not be enough
                                          power going in. You want to have a nice, slow boil in your pot. This is
                                          where a thermometer in the boiler can be a real help. Basically, what
                                          your looking for is a vapor speed up the column of about 12"/second.
                                          With a 2" column (packed), that means around 1000 watts. There's a
                                          conversion table on Homedistiller.org that converts that to 3412 BTU's
                                          (if that's any help to you).
                                          As far as figuring the RR of your rig, it's more accurate to use
                                          alchohol for your calculations, but water will be close enough. Just
                                          like Mason said, get er up to boiling, let boil for awhile (just to
                                          make sure), and then open the valve all the way, and take some
                                          measurements. Measure how much yu collect in ten minutes, and divide by
                                          ten. That will give you a good average for ml/min. HTH

                                          Tip one, Morgan

                                          <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                          > point taken. i will get the RR today.

                                        • villageofredclouds
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009

                                            > Hey Neighbor, I just approved your pic. That will help tremendously
                                            > when it comes time to explain it to the next guy. Now that you have
                                            > done it it has to make more sense. You get a better structure with
                                            > less material and probably improved efficiency to boot.
                                            >
                                            > Mason

                                            Ace Hardware and my grocery store - not Walmart

                                            Cloudwalker
                                          • morganfield1
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                              Hi Mason,

                                              I've switched to structured mesh. You can get from Amphora or Brewhaus
                                              for 15 to 20 bucks (a couple of years ago), and it was enough to fill
                                              my column. Easier to pack in, easier to remove, all good. JMSO

                                              Tip one, Morgan

                                              > Hey neighbor,
                                              > If you dont mind giving away your source, where did you pick
                                              > up those choreboy scrubbers? My 2" column build is coming to a close
                                              > and I am going to need a few extras for the larger column. The local
                                              > H ware store has good ones but they are near 4 bucks each. Thanks.
                                              >
                                              > Mason

                                            • rye_junkie1
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                <morganfield1@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Mason,
                                                >
                                                > I've switched to structured mesh. You can get from Amphora or Brewhaus
                                                > for 15 to 20 bucks (a couple of years ago), and it was enough to fill
                                                > my column. Easier to pack in, easier to remove, all good. JMSO
                                                >
                                                > Tip one, Morgan

                                                I use the Brewhaus stuff also but once I re roll everything to the 2"
                                                column I am going to be a few inches short.
                                                Anyway I thought if I could pick up a few scrubbers locally it would
                                                save a little money. Also I have played with the scrubbers in the
                                                past and It sure looks like they have a bit more surface area than the
                                                structured stuff. Density maybe? If I cant get what I need around
                                                here I'll be giving Rick a ring.
                                                Thanks.
                                                Mason
                                              • goodneighbor69
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                  <morganfield1@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hey Neighbor,
                                                  >
                                                  > Mason has a good point, I was going to mention there may not be enough
                                                  > power going in. You want to have a nice, slow boil in your pot. This is
                                                  > where a thermometer in the boiler can be a real help. Basically, what
                                                  > your looking for is a vapor speed up the column of about 12"/second.
                                                  > With a 2" column (packed), that means around 1000 watts. There's a
                                                  > conversion table on Homedistiller.org that converts that to 3412 BTU's
                                                  > (if that's any help to you).
                                                  > As far as figuring the RR of your rig, it's more accurate to use
                                                  > alchohol for your calculations, but water will be close enough. Just
                                                  > like Mason said, get er up to boiling, let boil for awhile (just to
                                                  > make sure), and then open the valve all the way, and take some
                                                  > measurements. Measure how much yu collect in ten minutes, and divide by
                                                  > ten. That will give you a good average for ml/min. HTH
                                                  >
                                                  > Tip one, Morgan

                                                  1000 watts converts to 3412 BTU's.... not sure if i could measure it.i
                                                  think the average side burner on a grill is about 12,000 btu's
                                                  in your or anybody's opinion is it possible to overpower the column
                                                  with a turkey fryer? maybe i should just run high heat? low not
                                                  cutting it. when i did strip run i went high heat, no reflux and got
                                                  65% if that means anything.
                                                  my reflux tube extends about 1/3 of the ID. thinking that the cascade
                                                  will be centered. should i 90 the tube in the center of column? maybe
                                                  im overshooting the center of packing?
                                                • rye_junkie1
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                    <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                                    > 1000 watts converts to 3412 BTU's.... not sure if i could measure it.i
                                                    > think the average side burner on a grill is about 12,000 btu's
                                                    > in your or anybody's opinion is it possible to overpower the column
                                                    > with a turkey fryer? maybe i should just run high heat? low not
                                                    > cutting it. when i did strip run i went high heat, no reflux and got
                                                    > 65% if that means anything.
                                                    > my reflux tube extends about 1/3 of the ID. thinking that the cascade
                                                    > will be centered. should i 90 the tube in the center of column? maybe
                                                    > im overshooting the center of packing?

                                                    You can definitely over power it with a turkey fryer. those things are
                                                    up around 60,000BTU. Reflux centering helps but I doubt if that is
                                                    your problem. I've heard opinions both ways on the centering deal.
                                                    I used a turkey fryer for a year and got decent results with it. 91%
                                                    with 1.5" tube. Again, work on the reflux ratio. Find that flame
                                                    setting that gets you that 100-150ml/min. Marking it should be easy
                                                    enough and then try you spirit run.

                                                    Mason
                                                  • edbar44
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                      <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@>
                                                      > wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Hey neighbor,
                                                      > > If you dont mind giving away your source, where did you pick
                                                      > > up those choreboy scrubbers? My 2" column build is coming to a close
                                                      > > and I am going to need a few extras for the larger column. The local
                                                      > > H ware store has good ones but they are near 4 bucks each. Thanks.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Mason

                                                      Get a couple of pounds of this stuff.
                                                      http://www.amphora-society.com/equip_1.html
                                                    • Zapata Vive
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jan 27, 2009
                                                        Can't you  measure how long it takes to heat up a given amount of water on a given flame, and use that to determine the BTU's or watts of that flame setting?  Might be helpful to know how much heat you are putting into it compared to others.

                                                        I'd give you the figures myself, but I don't remember them.  But I do think it should be easy to work out.  Of course you will be measuring how many BTU / watts you are actually heating water with, so keep that in mind when comparing to the commonly stated powers that don't account for losses (insulation etc).

                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Feb 1 5:02 AM
                                                          Hello All,

                                                          In a post on 1/26, I posted in error that,"what your looking for is a
                                                          vapor speed of 12"/sec in a "packed" column". Reading thru some
                                                          literature again I see it should be "an un-packed column". As the
                                                          column becomes packed, the vapor speed will rise (because the packing
                                                          takes up area in the volume of the column). I apologize for any
                                                          confusion my mis-information has caused.

                                                          Tipped one to many, Morgan