Re: SG Question

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "da5futer" <da5futer@...> wrote:

      > With batch 2 going, and with more tools (sg measuring device), my
      > sghas stayed at 1.061 (with temp adjustments) for 4 days. The temp is
      > at 63F, I have a heating pad under the formenter, there are still
      > little bubbles, but no sg movement. What gives?

      63F is way to low. You need to be up around 80F no higher than 85
      though. You aint getting enough heat to get the yeast going. If your
      in a cold region you may have to go as far as putting the fermenter in
      a water bath that has a decent aquarium heater in it to maintain temp.
      Wrapping the fermenter with an electric blanket would help if you
      have one. Anything to insulate it. I have been using a Stainless
      stock pot for the fermenter for the last few washes with a heating pad
      under it and it is working well. but then I ferment in a closet in the
      house that even without applying heat keeps the wash at 66F. That the
      temp it is clearing at now.

      Mason