second batch of corn shine

  • balibootleg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 23, 2009
      Hi guys well just finished the 2nd batch of shine and things went a
      lot better then the first time i must say :
      still pic now on the site (sorry not so good just had to use the phone
      camera
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/photos/album/741133824/pic/list
      any how, the still behaved much more like it should have with the for
      shots starting at 68c ,collected 100ml and changed containers .
      the still settled in at 78c for about 1ltre and then rose up to about
      87 for another 2.5litres then onto 90 to 97c for about a liter.
      This time around i could taste a difference and although sharp the
      stuff around 82to 87 wasn't to bad ,almost drinkable.
      the 90to 97 deg stuff i presume is what you call tails and it wasn't
      sharp had a lot more flavour so have saved all and will keep going
      till ive a couple of gallons and try and improve it .
      Thanks to all i feel like ive got 1 step further down the path .
      I think this second batch with the feints added to the wash, from the
      first batch plus not always trying to adjust the gas made a big
      difference.
      bali
    • Zapata Vive
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2009
        Forgive me if you already know this or it has been covered previously in this thread....

        This second batch is the first distillation of this batch?  Are you trying to make drinkable booze in one pass in a pot still?  If so, go ahead, but as has been mentioned on here recently, few have had much success.  If not, then most of us don't make any cuts on the first run, which we usually call the stripping run.  You just distill the wash and save everything.  In your case from a temp reading of 68 all the way to 97* C.  All into one container, they are called low wines.  The low wines are run through again, usually with the low wines from several batches, and this is the distilling run where cuts are made.

        If I didn't misunderstand, I'd combine all your different containers and save them to combine with future low wines.  When you have enough, then make a spirit run making cuts.  The product is much better, the cuts are much easier to spot, and things just plain turn out better doing it this way.