Re: [new_distillers] Conversion type question

  • No Name
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
      Hey john,
       I am no expert or nothing, But I think that you have a good Sg,, Most of the time we Or Atleast I shoot for around an 8-9% wash,   This will ensure that the flavors your after will be there,   Unless your just using those apples for sugars,  And you really wanted a neutral spirit., But then if that's is the case it would have been way easier to use all sugar,..
       As for your question,  Well I don't have that answer.( Fairly new myself)   But I have used all Apples before, Along with all Grapes,plums,peaches, and so on, And always ended up with a decent batch, Usually never getting a really High Sg,  Or potental.
         hth
      Noname

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
        Hey john,
         Sorry its me again, I just replied to your first post, But I didn't notice that all the Greats had already done so.
         However I just saw your reply about adding more sugar,  And the yeast your going to use,
         For 30 Gallons  7 packets are low, Unless those are some big packets,LOL Most of the ones I have ever seen have come in 5 or 7 Gram sizes,  I know there are larger ones, but even still, this is way off what you need to pitch,
          30 gallons of wash would need 600 Grams of yeast,   I get a way with using a pound. 454 Grams,
        I used to use a 12 packs of yeast per 30 gallons, And would wait 3 weeks, as if it was a beer to ferment, By then Usually my wash had caught some type of sickness,LOL   (NO GOOD).  Anyways Just trying to save you from the same troubles that I had, (Untill I joined up in here, and got the best advice one could get), On top of that reading pervious post to others, One comes to mind Check out Message #32369. this one wasn't to far back I noticed it while looking through the messages,    It had a pretty large recipe, ANd the guy was useing packets of yeast, And the Owner of this room stepped in to help,  (pretty sure it was the owner of the Group whom help if not please forgive me, But its still good advice,)
         I used this advice myself just before new years and My trash can full fermented in 3 days and not 3 weeks With no side affects or sickness.
        Anyways I hope this helps you change your mind about adding sugar, And also hope this helps you decide to grab a lot more yeast.
        Thanks for your time, NoName
        ps. I liked that saying, No trees were harmed........

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009

          John,

          A few details here might answer some of your questions. First off, as Trid said, appples do not have much sugars.  Apples have about 10% by volume/weight in sugars - of which 2% is sucrose, 2.5% dextrose (glucose) and 5.5% fructose - though this might vary somewhat by different brand varieties.  Also as he stated that the little bit of molassas dont mean jack squat for the volume your making.

          So the 70 lbs of apples used, contained about 7 lbs. of sugars - along with the 30 lbs. added - thats about 37 lbs. for a 32-35 gallon wash.  Again,  as he said since the majority of ingredients used is fruit, it is called a "must" not a wash or mash.

          1/2 lb. of sugar per gallon of fermented liquid will  produce about 3.5% ABV.  Your 37 lbs. works out to a bit more then 1 lb. per gallon - say about 1 lb. 2oz. - which equates to an SG of about 1.050 and a potential ABV of around 7%.

          The charts you asked about are available in the Info Base.  For the Hydrometer readings - go to: http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm  - Hydrometer/Sugar/Alcohol Tables and you will see these figures.  To Calculate the amount of sugars with water needed to obtain a certain level of ABV in your wash / must - go check out Tony's Site at http://homedistiller.org/ and look at his self-calculation on Preparing a Sugar Wash and  sugar levels at: http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm

          Since you have such a low ABV potential in your must, it would not hurt to add some more suger (inverted of course) to bring the ABV potential up to around 12-13% which is what most wines, apple/grape/fruits are at to distill into brandy.  But as Gooseeyes and Nameless have stated - dont go too high or you will stress you yeast out and loose those apple flavors.  Even with your champagne yeast I would not go about about 12% for starters.  Check out the charts and that will give you an idea of how much more sugars to add.

          Also dont forget to add some nutrients to your must since apples dont have much nutrients in them either.  Your 6 packs of yeast should about do it, since each 5 gram pack is good for about 5 gallons - but I would consider making about a gallon or 2 starter first with the yeast from some of your must and get it going good for a day or so and then pitch it.

          Hope this helps.

          Vino es Veritas,

          Jim aka Waldo.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 4, 2009
            <cls315@...> wrote:

            > Well, I have not pitched the yeast yet and I do have yeast nutrients
            I plan
            > on using. I was hoping for a little higher potential alcohol. Is
            there a
            > scale somewhere or a formula to arrive at sugar percentage?

            There is. See my chart here...