Re: clearing the wash

    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009

      Welp,

      Ya you can try it on spin cycle, but if one of them jugs breaks I'd be a bit hesitent to use it again for your colored wash ;).  A 5 gallon paint bag put into a plastic bucket with holes punched in the bottom that drains into a collection thing might work just as well and save a few bucks in the long run...

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

      > is there a way to centrifuge a wash to clear it? im thinking spin cycle
      > of a washing machine with the drum modified to hold jugs.

    • Larry Warren
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
        Does anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about the EZ Strainer?

        http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/ez-strainers.html

        Devilsbox

        > Welp,
        >
        > Ya you can try it on spin cycle, but if one of them jugs breaks I'd
        be a
        > bit hesitent to use it again for your colored wash [;)] . A 5 gallon
        > paint bag put into a plastic bucket with holes punched in the bottom
        > that drains into a collection thing might work just as well and save a
        > few bucks in the long run...
        >
        > Vino es Veritas,
        >
        > Jim aka Waldo.
      • goodneighbor69
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
          ive looked around and see that aquarium supplies stores sell down to
          100 micron filter bags for under 10$ us . i think ill try one.
        • Trid
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
            <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

            > ive looked around and see that aquarium supplies stores sell down to
            > 100 micron filter bags for under 10$ us . i think ill try one.

            Don't waste your time or money. They're great for straining, not so
            much for clearing wash

            You cannot beat simply waiting for it to settle naturally. Feel free
            to add some clarifying agents (irish moss, bentonite, gelatine,
            isinglass, whatever) but the addition of TIME is your best (and far
            less expensive) choice for clearing your wash.

            Trid
            -and this, coming from the consummate lover of gizmos and widgets
          • rye_junkie1
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
              Clearing a wash is best done with time. There are some expensive
              filters and filter systems out there but for the Hobby distiller time
              is your best friend. I have been using Effervescent Irish Moss
              tablets for a few months now with very good results.
              One of these dissolved in 6oz of hot water and poured in to a finished
              ferment will cut a couple of days off the clearing time. Even a turbo
              wash. Racking the wash into a carboy and Putting the wash in a cool
              (below 60F colder the better)place helps as well. If you are doing
              grain washes, then anything with a pore size smaller than womens
              stockings will clog so fast it will become useless after a few cups of
              mash. I have heard of people using pillow cases and maybe for
              molasses or sugar washes they work but it will hold a grain mash back
              for days. Best I have found are those nylon paint strainer bags from
              the H ware store. A gallon of mash at a time and some gentle kneading
              usually do the trick but it aint fast by any stretch. Keep in mind
              that a wash does not have to be perfectly clear although in my opinion
              the clearer the better. Lately I have been adding the Irish moss to
              the feremnter and letting it settle for a couple of days then racking
              directly to the boiler. I haven't noticed any differences in flavor
              of the final product. Sometimes I have to let a wash sit for a week
              or more though and at that point it gets racked to a carboy with a
              airlock plugged into it. Even then, after a few hours there will be a
              noticeable size yeast cake formed on the bottom.

              Mason
            • goodneighbor69
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?

                and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.
              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                  <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                  > ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?
                  >
                  > and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                  > out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                  > filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                  > wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                  > both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.

                  These are what I use but I get them at my LHBS.
                  http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/CB7170A

                  Let us know how your quest for a filter goes. I will stick with
                  time though. I seem to have plenty of it as the reflux run I am doing
                  started some 30 hours ago and looks to have at least 3 more to go.

                  Mason
                • Firefox
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009

                    Hi! I’ve just signed up to new distillers out of interest. I’ve been a member of the main group for a few years but usually just lurking and adding the odd comment.

                    For what it’s worth I would go with most advice given and let time take its filtering method.

                    I’ve tried most methods and time has always resulted in the best results, possibly with a clarifying agent but not usually necessary if wash made correctly.

                    Here to help.

                    Bob.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                      > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?
                      > >
                      > > and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                      > > out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                      > > filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                      > > wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                      > > both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.
                      > >

                      > These are what I use but I get them at my LHBS.
                      > http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/CB7170A
                      >
                      > Let us know how your quest for a filter goes. I will stick with
                      > time though. I seem to have plenty of it as the reflux run I am doing
                      > started some 30 hours ago and looks to have at least 3 more to go.
                      >
                      > Mason

                      To add to my comments, Before I started using Irish Moss to aid
                      clearing, I would simply cool the wash best I could. In the winter
                      its easy, I just took the carboy or fermenter out to my uninsulated
                      Shop. If I knew it would get into the 30's I would set the carboy
                      outside the shop on Saw horses covered with a sheet. Looked like I
                      was just covering a plant to keep it from frost bite. Next day when I
                      got home from work it was usually settles out nicely. In the summer
                      its a little tougher but I found if I set the carboy on the AC floor
                      vent it speeds up the process pretty good. I am looking for a cheap
                      refrigerator that would hold a carboy. One will show up soon in one
                      of the local swap papers. I also saw a pretty cool idea on some guys
                      website for beer fermenting. He had built a insulated plywood closet
                      in his garage. It had a small space heater mounted in the bottom to
                      control the higher temps and a small AC window unit for the lagering
                      phase. The Dude was really into his brewing.

                      Mason
                    • goodneighbor69
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                        this go around ill do the Irish moss and cold storage. im from new
                        england and can do cold storage right now lol.
                      • mavnkaf
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                          <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                          > is there a way to centrifuge a wash to clear it? im thinking spin
                          cycle
                          > of a washing machine with the drum modified to hold jugs.

                          Hi goodneighbor69, The cheapest and most efective centrifuge thats
                          available is the spinning bowl type from simple centrifuge dot com.

                          http://tinyurl.com/simplecentrifuge

                          I've already spoke to them about filtering yeast from a wash / wort
                          and filtering molasses. They say they have already sold units to
                          beer makers to remove the yeast. For molasses, they said either heat
                          it up like how they do it for WVO, (wast vegi oil), or dilute it
                          before putting it though the centrifuge. They say it will filtre any
                          liquid down to 1 micron?

                          Using time, chilling or finnings for settling the wash / wort is the
                          cheapest way as other members have already said.

                          Cheers
                          Marc

                          btw, I'm only a fan of this centrifuge product, I wish I had one!
                        • tim smith
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                            Hi  I've used most clearing agents out there "not Irish moss" yet, but the best so far is sparkaloid powder. For 25 liters of mash use 3 tsp. of sparkaloid to 1.5 cup of water. Boil this mix for 5 minutes.Pour into carboy while still hot.Stir easy for a few minutes.It should be fairly clear in 16 to 24 hours. The key with sparkaloid is mash must be degassed totally!! Do this with a drill and some kind of agitator.Stir with drill for 5 to 6 minutes,that should get rid of all C02 gas       Tim

                            > ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?
                            >
                            > and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                            > out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                            > filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                            > wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                            > both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.

                            These are what I use but I get them at my LHBS.
                            http://www.homebrew it.com/aisle/ p/CB7170A

                            Let us know how your quest for a filter goes. I will stick with
                            time though. I seem to have plenty of it as the reflux run I am doing
                            started some 30 hours ago and looks to have at least 3 more to go.

                            Mason

                          • edbar44
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                              FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest answer is to
                              just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have to be
                              clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped runs until
                              you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good stuff. I'm
                              4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off tastes,
                              high ABV

                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hi I've used most clearing agents out there "not Irish moss" yet, but
                              the best so far is sparkaloid powder. For 25 liters of mash use 3 tsp.
                              of sparkaloid to 1.5 cup of water. Boil this mix for 5 minutes.Pour into
                              carboy while still hot.Stir easy for a few minutes.It should be fairly
                              clear in 16 to 24 hours. The key with sparkaloid is mash must be
                              degassed totally!! Do this with a drill and some kind of agitator.Stir
                              with drill for 5 to 6 minutes,that should get rid of all C02 gas
                              Tim

                            • goodneighbor69
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                                > FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest answer is to
                                > just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have to be
                                > clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped runs until
                                > you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good stuff. I'm
                                > 4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off tastes,
                                > high ABV

                                does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral spirit
                                . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case
                              • abbababbaccc
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                  A quick stripping run provides good results in general. High power is
                                  recommended within limits. I have settled at 3kW for my stripping runs
                                  as my 30 liters boiler starts to rock with the mash rolling action if I
                                  use 4kW or more <G> Besides, high power condensers tend to get quite
                                  large in size.

                                  Cheers, Riku

                                  <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                  > does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral spirit
                                  > . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                  > distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                  > solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                  > first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                  > would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case

                                • gooseeye
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                    <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest
                                    answer is to
                                    > > just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have
                                    to be
                                    > > clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped
                                    runs until
                                    > > you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good
                                    stuff. I'm
                                    > > 4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off
                                    tastes,
                                    > > high ABV
                                    > >

                                    > does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral
                                    spirit
                                    > . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                    > distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                    > solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                    > first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                    > would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case

                                    i rekon it depends on your outfit an how much an how big them solids
                                    is.why you runin it 4 times
                                    easy off oven cleaner is a lie

                                    so im tole

                                  • rye_junkie1
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gooseeye" <gooseeye@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                                      > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                                      > > >
                                      > > > FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest
                                      > answer is to
                                      > > > just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have
                                      > to be
                                      > > > clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped
                                      > runs until
                                      > > > you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good
                                      > stuff. I'm
                                      > > > 4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off
                                      > tastes,
                                      > > > high ABV
                                      > > >

                                      > > does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral
                                      > spirit
                                      > > . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                      > > distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                      > > solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                      > > first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                      > > would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case
                                      >
                                      > i rekon it depends on your outfit an how much an how big them solids
                                      > is.why you runin it 4 times
                                      > easy off oven cleaner is a lie
                                      >
                                      > so im tole

                                      I always let the wash clear for a day or so But there are opinions on
                                      both sides of the aisle on the subject. Everyone claiming their way
                                      is best. This is where you have to just try one (eventually both) and
                                      see if it works for you. I find that letting a wash clear makes a
                                      positive difference in the end product. As for solids, the MUM wash
                                      really doesnt have any except the tomato paste. When we speak of
                                      solids we are usually talking about grain mashes where the particles
                                      are large enough and heavy enough to sit on the bottom of the boiler
                                      and scorch. Now you have a real problem. Sugar washes though is
                                      mainly yeast floating around. I remember one complaint regarding the
                                      MUM wash coming out "Dry". The only thing I could tell that the guy
                                      did different was didnt let the wash clear.

                                      Mason