clearing the wash

  • goodneighbor69
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009
      is there a way to centrifuge a wash to clear it? im thinking spin cycle
      of a washing machine with the drum modified to hold jugs.
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 2, 2009

        Welp,

        Ya you can try it on spin cycle, but if one of them jugs breaks I'd be a bit hesitent to use it again for your colored wash ;).  A 5 gallon paint bag put into a plastic bucket with holes punched in the bottom that drains into a collection thing might work just as well and save a few bucks in the long run...

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69" <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

        > is there a way to centrifuge a wash to clear it? im thinking spin cycle
        > of a washing machine with the drum modified to hold jugs.

      • Larry Warren
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
          Does anyone have anything to say, good or bad, about the EZ Strainer?

          http://www.thecarycompany.com/containers/ez-strainers.html

          Devilsbox

          > Welp,
          >
          > Ya you can try it on spin cycle, but if one of them jugs breaks I'd
          be a
          > bit hesitent to use it again for your colored wash [;)] . A 5 gallon
          > paint bag put into a plastic bucket with holes punched in the bottom
          > that drains into a collection thing might work just as well and save a
          > few bucks in the long run...
          >
          > Vino es Veritas,
          >
          > Jim aka Waldo.
        • goodneighbor69
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
            ive looked around and see that aquarium supplies stores sell down to
            100 micron filter bags for under 10$ us . i think ill try one.
          • Trid
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
              <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

              > ive looked around and see that aquarium supplies stores sell down to
              > 100 micron filter bags for under 10$ us . i think ill try one.

              Don't waste your time or money. They're great for straining, not so
              much for clearing wash

              You cannot beat simply waiting for it to settle naturally. Feel free
              to add some clarifying agents (irish moss, bentonite, gelatine,
              isinglass, whatever) but the addition of TIME is your best (and far
              less expensive) choice for clearing your wash.

              Trid
              -and this, coming from the consummate lover of gizmos and widgets
            • rye_junkie1
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                Clearing a wash is best done with time. There are some expensive
                filters and filter systems out there but for the Hobby distiller time
                is your best friend. I have been using Effervescent Irish Moss
                tablets for a few months now with very good results.
                One of these dissolved in 6oz of hot water and poured in to a finished
                ferment will cut a couple of days off the clearing time. Even a turbo
                wash. Racking the wash into a carboy and Putting the wash in a cool
                (below 60F colder the better)place helps as well. If you are doing
                grain washes, then anything with a pore size smaller than womens
                stockings will clog so fast it will become useless after a few cups of
                mash. I have heard of people using pillow cases and maybe for
                molasses or sugar washes they work but it will hold a grain mash back
                for days. Best I have found are those nylon paint strainer bags from
                the H ware store. A gallon of mash at a time and some gentle kneading
                usually do the trick but it aint fast by any stretch. Keep in mind
                that a wash does not have to be perfectly clear although in my opinion
                the clearer the better. Lately I have been adding the Irish moss to
                the feremnter and letting it settle for a couple of days then racking
                directly to the boiler. I haven't noticed any differences in flavor
                of the final product. Sometimes I have to let a wash sit for a week
                or more though and at that point it gets racked to a carboy with a
                airlock plugged into it. Even then, after a few hours there will be a
                noticeable size yeast cake formed on the bottom.

                Mason
              • goodneighbor69
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                  ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?

                  and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                  out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                  filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                  wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                  both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.
                • rye_junkie1
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                    <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                    > ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?
                    >
                    > and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                    > out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                    > filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                    > wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                    > both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.

                    These are what I use but I get them at my LHBS.
                    http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/CB7170A

                    Let us know how your quest for a filter goes. I will stick with
                    time though. I seem to have plenty of it as the reflux run I am doing
                    started some 30 hours ago and looks to have at least 3 more to go.

                    Mason
                  • Firefox
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009

                      Hi! I’ve just signed up to new distillers out of interest. I’ve been a member of the main group for a few years but usually just lurking and adding the odd comment.

                      For what it’s worth I would go with most advice given and let time take its filtering method.

                      I’ve tried most methods and time has always resulted in the best results, possibly with a clarifying agent but not usually necessary if wash made correctly.

                      Here to help.

                      Bob.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                        > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?
                        > >
                        > > and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                        > > out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                        > > filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                        > > wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                        > > both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.
                        > >

                        > These are what I use but I get them at my LHBS.
                        > http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/p/CB7170A
                        >
                        > Let us know how your quest for a filter goes. I will stick with
                        > time though. I seem to have plenty of it as the reflux run I am doing
                        > started some 30 hours ago and looks to have at least 3 more to go.
                        >
                        > Mason

                        To add to my comments, Before I started using Irish Moss to aid
                        clearing, I would simply cool the wash best I could. In the winter
                        its easy, I just took the carboy or fermenter out to my uninsulated
                        Shop. If I knew it would get into the 30's I would set the carboy
                        outside the shop on Saw horses covered with a sheet. Looked like I
                        was just covering a plant to keep it from frost bite. Next day when I
                        got home from work it was usually settles out nicely. In the summer
                        its a little tougher but I found if I set the carboy on the AC floor
                        vent it speeds up the process pretty good. I am looking for a cheap
                        refrigerator that would hold a carboy. One will show up soon in one
                        of the local swap papers. I also saw a pretty cool idea on some guys
                        website for beer fermenting. He had built a insulated plywood closet
                        in his garage. It had a small space heater mounted in the bottom to
                        control the higher temps and a small AC window unit for the lagering
                        phase. The Dude was really into his brewing.

                        Mason
                      • goodneighbor69
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                          this go around ill do the Irish moss and cold storage. im from new
                          england and can do cold storage right now lol.
                        • mavnkaf
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                            <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                            > is there a way to centrifuge a wash to clear it? im thinking spin
                            cycle
                            > of a washing machine with the drum modified to hold jugs.

                            Hi goodneighbor69, The cheapest and most efective centrifuge thats
                            available is the spinning bowl type from simple centrifuge dot com.

                            http://tinyurl.com/simplecentrifuge

                            I've already spoke to them about filtering yeast from a wash / wort
                            and filtering molasses. They say they have already sold units to
                            beer makers to remove the yeast. For molasses, they said either heat
                            it up like how they do it for WVO, (wast vegi oil), or dilute it
                            before putting it though the centrifuge. They say it will filtre any
                            liquid down to 1 micron?

                            Using time, chilling or finnings for settling the wash / wort is the
                            cheapest way as other members have already said.

                            Cheers
                            Marc

                            btw, I'm only a fan of this centrifuge product, I wish I had one!
                          • tim smith
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2009
                              Hi  I've used most clearing agents out there "not Irish moss" yet, but the best so far is sparkaloid powder. For 25 liters of mash use 3 tsp. of sparkaloid to 1.5 cup of water. Boil this mix for 5 minutes.Pour into carboy while still hot.Stir easy for a few minutes.It should be fairly clear in 16 to 24 hours. The key with sparkaloid is mash must be degassed totally!! Do this with a drill and some kind of agitator.Stir with drill for 5 to 6 minutes,that should get rid of all C02 gas       Tim

                              > ok, ill ask the obvious .. where do i find Effervescent Irish Moss ?
                              >
                              > and i think there must be a way to filter a wash. you can filter water
                              > out of fuel with a small enough micron filter. these micron bag
                              > filters keep aquariums crystal clear im sure they could clean a
                              > wash.thay come all the way up to 55 gal. in size. im going to try
                              > both ways. ill let you know how it comes out.

                              These are what I use but I get them at my LHBS.
                              http://www.homebrew it.com/aisle/ p/CB7170A

                              Let us know how your quest for a filter goes. I will stick with
                              time though. I seem to have plenty of it as the reflux run I am doing
                              started some 30 hours ago and looks to have at least 3 more to go.

                              Mason

                            • edbar44
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest answer is to
                                just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have to be
                                clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped runs until
                                you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good stuff. I'm
                                4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off tastes,
                                high ABV

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, tim smith <tim_smitho21@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi I've used most clearing agents out there "not Irish moss" yet, but
                                the best so far is sparkaloid powder. For 25 liters of mash use 3 tsp.
                                of sparkaloid to 1.5 cup of water. Boil this mix for 5 minutes.Pour into
                                carboy while still hot.Stir easy for a few minutes.It should be fairly
                                clear in 16 to 24 hours. The key with sparkaloid is mash must be
                                degassed totally!! Do this with a drill and some kind of agitator.Stir
                                with drill for 5 to 6 minutes,that should get rid of all C02 gas
                                Tim

                              • goodneighbor69
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@...> wrote:

                                  > FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest answer is to
                                  > just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have to be
                                  > clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped runs until
                                  > you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good stuff. I'm
                                  > 4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off tastes,
                                  > high ABV

                                  does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral spirit
                                  . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                  distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                  solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                  first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                  would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case
                                • abbababbaccc
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                    A quick stripping run provides good results in general. High power is
                                    recommended within limits. I have settled at 3kW for my stripping runs
                                    as my 30 liters boiler starts to rock with the mash rolling action if I
                                    use 4kW or more <G> Besides, high power condensers tend to get quite
                                    large in size.

                                    Cheers, Riku

                                    <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                    > does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral spirit
                                    > . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                    > distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                    > solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                    > first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                    > would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case

                                  • gooseeye
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                      <goodneighbor69@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest
                                      answer is to
                                      > > just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have
                                      to be
                                      > > clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped
                                      runs until
                                      > > you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good
                                      stuff. I'm
                                      > > 4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off
                                      tastes,
                                      > > high ABV
                                      > >

                                      > does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral
                                      spirit
                                      > . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                      > distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                      > solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                      > first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                      > would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case

                                      i rekon it depends on your outfit an how much an how big them solids
                                      is.why you runin it 4 times
                                      easy off oven cleaner is a lie

                                      so im tole

                                    • rye_junkie1
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 4, 2009
                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gooseeye" <gooseeye@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "goodneighbor69"
                                        > <goodneighbor69@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "edbar44" <edbar44@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > FWIW, after reading many posts about clearing, the simplest
                                        > answer is to
                                        > > > just do a stripping run, as far as I know, the wash doesn't have
                                        > to be
                                        > > > clear and you save a lot of time and money. Save the stripped
                                        > runs until
                                        > > > you have enough and then do a spirit run and get all the good
                                        > stuff. I'm
                                        > > > 4 months into this and have tried that with good results, no off
                                        > tastes,
                                        > > > high ABV
                                        > > >

                                        > > does this make sense to the Guru's . ill want to make a neutral
                                        > spirit
                                        > > . ill be using propane, and a reflux still. im going to XXX-XXXX
                                        > > distill . and im using the MUM hybrid wash. do i need to get the
                                        > > solids out? or can i indeed just strip the wash with out settling
                                        > > first. i dont mean any disrespect by questioning your post edbar44.
                                        > > would like another opinion on it. i hope its the case
                                        >
                                        > i rekon it depends on your outfit an how much an how big them solids
                                        > is.why you runin it 4 times
                                        > easy off oven cleaner is a lie
                                        >
                                        > so im tole

                                        I always let the wash clear for a day or so But there are opinions on
                                        both sides of the aisle on the subject. Everyone claiming their way
                                        is best. This is where you have to just try one (eventually both) and
                                        see if it works for you. I find that letting a wash clear makes a
                                        positive difference in the end product. As for solids, the MUM wash
                                        really doesnt have any except the tomato paste. When we speak of
                                        solids we are usually talking about grain mashes where the particles
                                        are large enough and heavy enough to sit on the bottom of the boiler
                                        and scorch. Now you have a real problem. Sugar washes though is
                                        mainly yeast floating around. I remember one complaint regarding the
                                        MUM wash coming out "Dry". The only thing I could tell that the guy
                                        did different was didnt let the wash clear.

                                        Mason