Re: reuse from distill - SideNote:

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009

      If your leaving 40% ABV in your tails, thats kind of a waste.  Profeesional distillers go down to about 1-3% for their tails.  Us home (nano distillers) take it down to where the fuel costs dont justify the ABV comming out.  These are called "Feints" (also can include some heads) and may be added to your next stripping run or spirits run to save that ethanol.

      Im a bit hesitant on adding high ABV backset to a new bach of fermentation, since it tends to screw up you sugar/grain calulations and hydrometer readings.

      Jim.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "east855" <lacrossestanley@...> wrote:
       > I ran 4 or 5 beer striping runs and then did a spirit run from them
      > taking the tails down to about 40% abv, I am content with what I have
      > from the spirit run but I also realize there is some alcohol leftover
      > in the liquid in the boiler. I would like to capture as much alcohol
      > as possible
      but would this liquid give a bad flavor or otherwise be
      > non-productive to the cause of good spirits and resources?
      >
      > Thanks for any help,
      >
      > Stan

    • gooseeye
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
        <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

        > If your leaving 40% ABV in your tails, thats kind of a waste.
        > Profeesional distillers go down to about 1-3% for their tails. Us
        home
        > (nano distillers) take it down to where the fuel costs dont justify
        the
        > ABV comming out. These are called "Feints" (also can include some
        > heads) and may be added to your next stripping run or spirits run to
        > save that ethanol.
        >
        > Im a bit hesitant on adding high ABV backset to a new bach of
        > fermentation, since it tends to screw up you sugar/grain
        calulations and
        > hydrometer readings.
        >
        > Jim.
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "east855" <lacrossestanley@>
        > wrote:
        > > I ran 4 or 5 beer striping runs and then did a spirit run from
        them
        > > taking the tails down to about 40% abv, I am content with what I
        have
        > > from the spirit run but I also realize there is some alcohol
        leftover
        > > in the liquid in the boiler. I would like to capture as much
        alcohol
        > > as possible but would this liquid give a bad flavor or otherwise
        be
        > > non-productive to the cause of good spirits and resources?
        > >
        > > Thanks for any help,
        > >
        > > Stan

        >what some ole boys do is they run it to backins. at backins - bout
        low 100s with brandy midlein 90s with corns with there outfits- they
        run to bout 40 an save that an put streight back in the ketle on low
        wine charge. if you blendin for taste after strong backin taste save
        when clears an take likker down with that adds a wee little bit it
        stretchs volume an flaver. ole boys i no aint much on corns but if
        they chargein it you can bet they got a sack of suger in it.

        so im tole
      • lacrossestanley@netscape.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
          Well, Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the help. I measured the alcohol content of the cooled left overs from the boiler with a vin-o-meter and it registers 3%. I do beer stripping runs and spirit runs plus set aside the first 150mls of the spirit run for cleaning things, then run down to around 65% for the middle cuts, and then down to ~40% for the tails and the temp to ~205F. I'm just a hobbyist and I can get the terms mixed around but I prefer this product to anything else, some I flavor with oak chips and some just straight but I've often wondered about being able to re-use the leftovers of the spirit run, I have just thrown in three gallons of leftovers from the last spirit run and I am right now doing a stripping run so I will throw in two gallons of what is left over from that. Thank you Kindly for the help.

          Stan