Re: reuse from distill

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009

      Hi Stan,

      Having a bit of experience in sour mash and rum making, the answer is yes - you can reuse the leftover liquid.  Although Harry and I have had some disagreements on the definition of "Sour Mash(ing)", I not only reuse the leftovers from the still for my sour mash (properly called backset), but also for "dunder" in my rums.  Since frugality runs in my family, I also reuse the sourmash and dunder (properly called lees)  from the leftover trub in my whitedawg sourmash and rum (boiled first to release the nutrients from the yeast cells).

      Note: you can also re-harvest the un-boiled trub/lees to start another batch - many times.

      This has 3 benifits - reduces the Ph, adds more flavors and also nutrients for them yeasties.  (Note:  dont add more then 25 - 30% of the leftovers from the still (backset) in the overall mash/wash).

      the UJSSM method was what I first experimented with and with some modifications (another topic) works pretty well - see Dave's (Uncle Jesse's) dissertation on his Simple Sour Mash - reqires no cooking - unless you try corn meal or Corn Flakes (again another topic):

      http://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.php/Uncle_Jesse's_Simple_Sour_Mash_Method

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009

        If your leaving 40% ABV in your tails, thats kind of a waste.  Profeesional distillers go down to about 1-3% for their tails.  Us home (nano distillers) take it down to where the fuel costs dont justify the ABV comming out.  These are called "Feints" (also can include some heads) and may be added to your next stripping run or spirits run to save that ethanol.

        Im a bit hesitant on adding high ABV backset to a new bach of fermentation, since it tends to screw up you sugar/grain calulations and hydrometer readings.

        Jim.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "east855" <lacrossestanley@...> wrote:
         > I ran 4 or 5 beer striping runs and then did a spirit run from them
        > taking the tails down to about 40% abv, I am content with what I have
        > from the spirit run but I also realize there is some alcohol leftover
        > in the liquid in the boiler. I would like to capture as much alcohol
        > as possible
        but would this liquid give a bad flavor or otherwise be
        > non-productive to the cause of good spirits and resources?
        >
        > Thanks for any help,
        >
        > Stan

      • gooseeye
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
          <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:

          > If your leaving 40% ABV in your tails, thats kind of a waste.
          > Profeesional distillers go down to about 1-3% for their tails. Us
          home
          > (nano distillers) take it down to where the fuel costs dont justify
          the
          > ABV comming out. These are called "Feints" (also can include some
          > heads) and may be added to your next stripping run or spirits run to
          > save that ethanol.
          >
          > Im a bit hesitant on adding high ABV backset to a new bach of
          > fermentation, since it tends to screw up you sugar/grain
          calulations and
          > hydrometer readings.
          >
          > Jim.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "east855" <lacrossestanley@>
          > wrote:
          > > I ran 4 or 5 beer striping runs and then did a spirit run from
          them
          > > taking the tails down to about 40% abv, I am content with what I
          have
          > > from the spirit run but I also realize there is some alcohol
          leftover
          > > in the liquid in the boiler. I would like to capture as much
          alcohol
          > > as possible but would this liquid give a bad flavor or otherwise
          be
          > > non-productive to the cause of good spirits and resources?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help,
          > >
          > > Stan

          >what some ole boys do is they run it to backins. at backins - bout
          low 100s with brandy midlein 90s with corns with there outfits- they
          run to bout 40 an save that an put streight back in the ketle on low
          wine charge. if you blendin for taste after strong backin taste save
          when clears an take likker down with that adds a wee little bit it
          stretchs volume an flaver. ole boys i no aint much on corns but if
          they chargein it you can bet they got a sack of suger in it.

          so im tole
        • lacrossestanley@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2009
            Well, Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the help. I measured the alcohol content of the cooled left overs from the boiler with a vin-o-meter and it registers 3%. I do beer stripping runs and spirit runs plus set aside the first 150mls of the spirit run for cleaning things, then run down to around 65% for the middle cuts, and then down to ~40% for the tails and the temp to ~205F. I'm just a hobbyist and I can get the terms mixed around but I prefer this product to anything else, some I flavor with oak chips and some just straight but I've often wondered about being able to re-use the leftovers of the spirit run, I have just thrown in three gallons of leftovers from the last spirit run and I am right now doing a stripping run so I will throw in two gallons of what is left over from that. Thank you Kindly for the help.