need your best opinion

  • louis bossy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 28, 2008
      if i was to buy a very goog pot still
      im new too it
      i cannot build one
      there is no materials available around
      i live on an island
      with lots of tropical friuts to spare
      someone is in aus at the moment and i have 2 days to make up my mind of what to buy

      please help
      boosy
      my email is
      by the way
       i have electricity and something with a 20 to 30 litres

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 30, 2008

        Hello Boosy/Louis,

        Looks like everyone missed this posting also - must be that time of year ;).  BTW welcome aboard here - there is much information available.

        So you say you live on an island...  If you could give me an idea of what island your living on, it might help a bit as far as obtaining a pot still or making one.

        Pot stills are very simple to make, but expensive to buy.  One of the cheaper ones on the market is on sale at Mile Hi Distilling in the US.  It runs about 219 dollars US  for a good starter 2.6 gallon boiler, but then you must consider taxes, shipping/handleing and any import duties.  Here is the link: http://www.milehidistilling.com/2_6_Gallon_10L_Milk_Can_Pot_Still_p/16011.htm

        You said that materials are not available where you live.  However, with a 3-4 gallon stainless steel pot and 12 feet or so of 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch flexible copper tubing (grade M is suitable) and a platic bucket, you can make yourself a decent beginning pot still for less then 1/2 that amount.

        For a start, on the left of this screen is a menu to Links, Files, Photos and the Database.  I would start on links and go to the Information base and read up on pot stills - reflux stills - designs and also the intoduction parts.  You can also go directly to Tony's site at: http://homedistiller.org/  and begin there - we consider it our "Bible".  One of the simplest designs you will find there is this:

        (Click on Picture to enlarge)

        Please feel free to ask any questions you have and let me know abouts where you are located.  If your in the Carribean area, I have a good friend there that can help you out.

        Again Welcome Aboard, Read, Read and Be Safe.

        Vino es Veritas,

        Jim aka Waldo (Co-Moderator)

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, louis bossy <bravoseychelles@...> wrote:

        > if i was to buy a very goog pot still
        > im new too it
        > i cannot build one
        > there is no materials available around
        > i live on an island
        > with lots of tropical friuts to spare
        > someone is in aus at the moment and i have 2 days to make up my mind of what to buy
        >
        > please help
        > boosy
        > my email is
        > www.bravoseychelles@...
        > by the way
        >  i have electricity and something with a 20 to 30 litres

      • bravoseychelles
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009
          hello there
          thanks for answering
          made me feel good to finally get a feed back
          i live on the island of praslin in seychelles
          thats in the indian ocean next to mauritius
          its paradise on earth with very expensive alchohol
          just to give you an idea a bottle of whisky jack daniels would cost
          40 us$ in the shops
          the taxes are unbelivable
          going back to buisness
          i had lots of time to reed and decided to go with a reflux alembic
          still
          it comes with the piece for the pot still also
          i will welcome your comment on it
          it looks expensive
          but from experience in other departments i believe buying something a
          bit expensive and well presented would make better sence

          by the way
          happy new year
          and may you all get drunk

          bossy
          - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2009

            Hey Bossy,

            And Happy New Years back at ya.  Now that I know the Island, Im dang jealous as hell.  Sounds like a wonderful place - especially with those nice beaches - like Anse Lizso - must be a paradise.  Right now it 18 degrees in Virginia, US with a wind chill of -10  LoL.

            Ok back to business again :).  Heck, my friend just bought a  pint of Jack Dan's for almost 9 bucks here last night - so your not that far out of line.  As far as your decision on an reflux alembic still, I would really like to see a pict or link on it.  From what I have seen and read, alembic stills are pot stills and mostly copper - a good choice - this is what i consider as an alembic still:

            This is another Alembic made by the Hoga Company

            If it does come with a reflux column and a lyne arme connection, I cant disagree with your choice at all.  Its the best of both worlds.  As a side note, Im making a CM column for my pot still right now that will attach to my lyne arme and condenser.  All you have to do to turn it back into a pot still is remove the packing and reflux cooling coil.

            Again, cant agree with ya more...  Please let us see this beauty.

            Vino es Veritas,

            Jim aka Waldo.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
              hey waldo
              if i may call you that
              thats cold men no wonder you boys need to keep warm.
              bet youe methane is good .

              anse lazio is one of the best

              http://www.copper-alembic.com/products_byclass.php?cat_id=11&lang=en
              http://www.copper-alembic.com/shop/index.php?
              act=viewProd&productId=193&tab=4
              im sure youve seen it before
              but i cant wait to get my hands on it.

              ive just put a new message on the site please check it out .
              ile send you some photos of home on your on your email if youd like

              please look at the photo on the website and let me have your
              thoughts..
              see you all

              bossy

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009

                Yes Bossy,

                Feel free to call me Waldo - an old joke from Haery, but please dont call my hootch "methane" (a gas - methanol - the liquid) - thats the bad chit you dont want in your distillate:).

                Would love to see some of your picts - just get me more jealous meanie lol.  And yes, have seen this site you got your still from.  If its this one:  then its a great deal at euros, 226 - much better then the pot still from Mile Hi I showed ya.  Those Porugese makers make some great stuff.

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bravoseychelles" <bravoseychelles@...> wrote:

                > hey waldo
                > if i may call you that
                > thats cold men no wonder you boys need to keep warm.
                > bet youe methane is good .
                >
                > anse lazio is one of the best
                >

                > http://www.copper-alembic.com/products_byclass.php?cat_id=11&lang=en
                > http://www.copper-alembic.com/shop/index.php?
                > act=viewProd&productId=193&tab=4
                > im sure youve seen it before
                > but i cant wait to get my hands on it.
                >
                > ive just put a new message on the site please check it out .
                > ile send you some photos of home on your on your email if youd like
                >
                > please look at the photo on the website and let me have your
                > thoughts..
                > see you all
                >
                > bossy

              • bravoseychelles
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 2, 2009
                  hey waldo
                  sorry for calling your bouz methane.
                  im pretty sure its not
                  thanks for the comfort in letting me know i m buying something good
                  i hope it makes some good stuff
                  buy the way do you have any good stuff youve heard that i could try
                  with coconut extracts
                  we have something local callled toddy
                  its the sap from the young coconut bunch undeveloped
                  it tricles out as alchohol and after a few days it starts to get sour
                  then if left for more than les say 12 days it turns to vinager
                  what have you heard about that
                  any distilling prospect there
                  take care
                  boosy