Re: cheers trid..

  • gff_stwrt
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2008
      Hi, Adrian,

      I can see some bureaucratic difficulties (read, 'problems with the
      law') where a professional winemaker thinks about distilling.
      And where I live the penalties for illegal distilling are high, and I
      would expect that they would be fairly strictly applied in a
      commercial situation.

      Of course if it were a purely private situation it might be looked on
      more tolerantly.

      It depends also on the rules where you are and also on the facilities
      available to you.

      I think, from talks with my local winemaker, that in Australia a
      WINERY would be forbidden to distill (unless they applied for the
      appropriate licenses and paid the appropriate fees; but environmental
      concerns about smells, and the disposal of distillery waste, and so
      on, now make it very difficult to get approval).

      But, as I understand it, a winery can sell unwanted wine to a
      distillery (of course they don't get much for it) and they do a
      regular collection run with a stainless tanker truck.
      And the winery can buy high-alcohol ethanol back from the distillery
      (often used as fortifying spirit for port, etc.).

      Without being at all sure of this, it was my impression that you
      don't have to pay excise (alcohol tax) when (as a commercial
      winemaker in Australia) you buy the spirit from the distillery, so it
      is really cheap; but the winery does have to account for every drop
      of spirit used, and send tax money, lots of it, to the government
      when the product in which the alcohol is used is sold.
      And it is even taxed on the annual increase in its value, which
      brought forth some very colourful Italian-flavoured comments from my
      friend! For several minutes without a break!

      Anyway this might be a situation where, especially if a commercial
      enterprise is involved in any way, you could consider getting expert
      professional advice, which you certainly won't get from the very
      limited knowledge I might have.

      All the best.

      The Baker

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, adrian riley
      <wineman222000@...> wrote:

      > i will try your suggestion. i have discovered that as you are
      concentrating the alcohol you in turn are concentrating the residual
      preservatives and as sulfides have such long strands with such
      strong  bonds it will carry over through your condenser. you are
      able to buy industrial interception plating to capture these sulfides
      but they really wont harm you even at those ppm ( dried apricots have
      over 3000 ppm SO2 i have learned ). i have a reflux 25 lt still and
      ill post my finding re: the testing at different stages through the
      process. its prob just easier to do my own grain or sugar washes
      anyway its just i make wine for a living and was hoping to find a use
      for older, oxidised  sterile filtered white wine that is un-
      saleable. merry x-mas and all the best for 09'.

      inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox