Milk Can and other designs

  • Peers Cawley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2008
      I just thought I'd stick my penny in for what it's worth.

      I have finished my first reflux still and am still ironing out a few
      issues. I have been limited by difficulty in getting copper pipe my
      column is only 1 1/2 inch (largest available here).

      With cooling pipes passing through the column, there is simply not a
      great amount of surface area for cooling. I went with three pipes but
      decided to add vertical copper vanes. I drilled end connectors to pass
      the coolant pipe through, soldered in the middle of the column a 1 1/4
      x 2 1/2 inch vane of copper. This increased my surface area from 8700
      mm2 to 26000 mm2. - It works like a dream. With my pot on a gentle
      boil, and full water flow the temp at the top of the column in 4
      degrees above ambient. I have to slow the water flow down to a trickle
      to get the temperature up and anything out of the condensor.

      This is actually now my main concern. I cannot get a valve to control
      water flow - I am using a clothes peg to crimp the water pipe. Not
      exactly precise control!!! I want to seperate the flow to the column
      and the leibig and have independant control over both.

      If anyone is intersted, I'll post some assembly photos on the photo
      page to show you exactly how the vanes are assembled.

      I've done about 5 runs with 15 percent base liquor and had 75 percent
      out through the entire run till the temp suddnely drops??? for some
      reason - I slow the coolant down even more and then the temp shoots
      over 85 degrees and my purity is down to the 40's. I am ending the run
      at this point - Have to find some taps.

      Have fun - I certainly am.