Re: epoxy instead of soldering / brazing?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
      So what did they reply? You really should ask about resistance to
      azeotropic hot mix of liquid/gaseous ethanol, ethyl acetate, n-
      propanol etc. We have a hot nasty mix inside the column waiting to
      eat away anything that dissolves.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
      wrote:

      > There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
      > I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that
      was 6
      > months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
      > > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive"
      <zapatavive@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on
      it's
      > > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick,
      or
      > > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
      > > >
      > > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering
      and
      > > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so
      close
      > > that it melts nearby seams.
      > > > Thanks in advance.
      > > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and
      found
      > > nothing)
      > > >
      > > > Zapata

    • stavjen76
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
        --Before I was able to borrow a friends brazing equipment I rigged
        my still with the two part epoxy resin. If you have no other
        options it will work. Just don't bother with the jb weld, as it is
        far too brittle to function properly. What worked for me was the
        cheapest product, just get a tube of plummers putty( the grey two
        part type) mix it and firmly press around the perimeter of the
        column. I built it up rather thick and it worked for about five
        runs.

        Just make sure you sand the parts with rough sandpaper and clean all
        grease/oils from the parts. If you want the connection to last
        longer wait until the wash cools after distillation before moving
        the still. The heat and solvents soften the epoxy somewhat when
        hot. If you let it cool without moving the still around or bumping
        the column it could probably last quite a few distillations.

        Nearly all the two part epoxies are non-toxic when cured, many are
        used to fix water tanks and plumbing where human consumption is
        involved.