Re: Caring for internal elements

  • skmackie
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
      This guy has sent me two emails saying the same thing as below. Maybe it wasn't such a
      good idea to give out my email address to this group. At least it's my throwaway
      address.

      Sheryl

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Benson Hard <benson.hard@...> wrote:

      > DEAR SIRS/MADAM,
      >
      > I WANT TO START HOME DISTILLATION UNIT (NEUTRAL ALCOHOL)BY DAILY 500
      LITTER.. PLEASE SEND THE DRAWING OF 200 LITTER CAPACITY POTS. HOW TO BOILING
      ,FILTERING ETC

      http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
        Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you had
        such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to take
        into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
        uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.

        Cheers, Riku

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

          > This guy has sent me two emails saying the same thing as below.
          Maybe it wasn't such a
          > good idea to give out my email address to this group. At least it's
          my throwaway
          > address.

          Put him in the killfile.

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
            <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

            > Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you had
            > such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to take
            > into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
            > uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku

            So if I understand you correctly, with my currently uninsulated 7.5
            gallon boiler a 1000 watt element may be necessary to compensate for
            heat loss at the boiler? I realize there are a bunch of variables in
            this game but I want to make sure i am understanding the basics as I
            make the Hobby more technical.
            To add to this, what would be a good insulation to use for the boiler?
            I know a couple of beach towels and some duct tape would help but
            there has to be a "Good and Reasonable" solution.
            Thanks.

            Mason
          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
              > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you
              had
              > > such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to
              take
              > > into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
              > > uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Riku
              >

              > So if I understand you correctly, with my currently uninsulated 7.5
              > gallon boiler a 1000 watt element may be necessary to compensate for
              > heat loss at the boiler? I realize there are a bunch of variables
              in
              > this game but I want to make sure i am understanding the basics as I
              > make the Hobby more technical.
              > To add to this, what would be a good insulation to use for the
              boiler?
              > I know a couple of beach towels and some duct tape would help but
              > there has to be a "Good and Reasonable" solution.
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Mason

              That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
              and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
              foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
              good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
              systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
              well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
              self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
              on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.

              Cheers, Riku
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                > That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
                > and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
                > foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
                > good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
                > systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
                > well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
                > self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
                > on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.
                >
                > Cheers, Riku

                Cheapest ($5-$10) and most successful solution for small boilers is a windshield sun protector.  Wrap it around & tape in place.  It reflects all the heat back into the boiler.

                No Frost Windscreen Protector

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
                  > wrote:
                  >

                  > > That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
                  > > and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
                  > > foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
                  > > good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
                  > > systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
                  > > well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
                  > > self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
                  > > on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.
                  > >
                  > > Cheers, Riku
                  > >

                  > Cheapest ($5-$10) and most successful solution for small boilers is a
                  > windshield sun protector. Wrap it around & tape in place. It reflects
                  > all the heat back into the boiler.
                  >
                  > [No Frost Windscreen Protector]

                  <http://www.cheapcat.com/scripts/forward.php?name=No+Frost+Windscreen+Pr\

                  otector&merchant=Grand+Prix+Legends&product=EUX003(GPL_BaseCatalog)&stre\
                  > am=ccp>
                  >

                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry

                  I would never have thought of the windshield thingy. My wife has one
                  almost like that in her trunk that she never uses. Mine now. Shiny
                  side to the boiler right?
                  Thanks to the both of you for the ideas.

                  Mason
                • Rodney
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                    > > windshield sun protector. Wrap it around & tape in place. It
                    reflects

                    I work at Home Depot so I'm running into things that spark the
                    imagination for contraptions all day long. Anyway today down the
                    insulation aisle (which I don't normally work down) I saw the
                    reflective insulation rolls (similar to your windshield protectors)
                    its a good sized roll for $10 bucks, which will probably make you
                    several windshield protectors....Or man good still blankets.

                    Rodney
                  • Zapata Vive
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                      I can vouch for the shiny bubble insulation from HD or Lowes.  Works a dream, and is the perfect size (2' wide) to fit a keg, or can be cut readily to any other desired size.  Plus, it doesn't look anywhere near as ghetto as a sleeping pad, not that I'm above that, I used to have a blue one on my boiler.  But the shiny foil goes well with all the copper and stainless IMHO.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
                        wrote:

                        > I can vouch for the shiny bubble insulation from HD or Lowes. Works
                        a dream, and is the perfect size (2' wide) to fit a keg, or can be cut
                        readily to any other desired size. Plus, it doesn't look anywhere
                        near as ghetto as a sleeping pad, not that I'm above that, I used to
                        have a blue one on my boiler. But the shiny foil goes well with all
                        the copper and stainless IMHO.

                        And off to Home Depot I go. Time for a new Grill too. Thanks guys.
                        Is this the Stuff?
                        http://tinyurl.com/5vl9z3

                        Mason