Re: epoxy instead of soldering / brazing?

  • mstehelin
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
      There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
      I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that was 6
      months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.

      <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

      > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
      > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
      >
      > Cheers, Riku
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
      > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
      > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
      > >
      > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
      > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
      > that it melts nearby seams.
      > > Thanks in advance.
      > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
      > nothing)
      > >
      > > Zapata

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
        So what did they reply? You really should ask about resistance to
        azeotropic hot mix of liquid/gaseous ethanol, ethyl acetate, n-
        propanol etc. We have a hot nasty mix inside the column waiting to
        eat away anything that dissolves.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
        wrote:

        > There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
        > I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that
        was 6
        > months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.
        >

        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
        > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
        > > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
        > >
        > > Cheers, Riku
        > >
        > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive"
        <zapatavive@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on
        it's
        > > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick,
        or
        > > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
        > > >
        > > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering
        and
        > > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so
        close
        > > that it melts nearby seams.
        > > > Thanks in advance.
        > > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and
        found
        > > nothing)
        > > >
        > > > Zapata

      • stavjen76
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
          --Before I was able to borrow a friends brazing equipment I rigged
          my still with the two part epoxy resin. If you have no other
          options it will work. Just don't bother with the jb weld, as it is
          far too brittle to function properly. What worked for me was the
          cheapest product, just get a tube of plummers putty( the grey two
          part type) mix it and firmly press around the perimeter of the
          column. I built it up rather thick and it worked for about five
          runs.

          Just make sure you sand the parts with rough sandpaper and clean all
          grease/oils from the parts. If you want the connection to last
          longer wait until the wash cools after distillation before moving
          the still. The heat and solvents soften the epoxy somewhat when
          hot. If you let it cool without moving the still around or bumping
          the column it could probably last quite a few distillations.

          Nearly all the two part epoxies are non-toxic when cured, many are
          used to fix water tanks and plumbing where human consumption is
          involved.