Re: epoxy instead of soldering / brazing?

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
      ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.

      Cheers, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
      wrote:

      > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
      safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
      even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.

      > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
      brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
      that it melts nearby seams.
      > Thanks in advance.
      > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
      nothing)

      > Zapata

    • mstehelin
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
        There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
        I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that was 6
        months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.

        <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

        > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
        > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
        >
        > Cheers, Riku
        >
        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
        > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
        > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
        > >
        > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
        > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
        > that it melts nearby seams.
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
        > nothing)
        > >
        > > Zapata

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
          So what did they reply? You really should ask about resistance to
          azeotropic hot mix of liquid/gaseous ethanol, ethyl acetate, n-
          propanol etc. We have a hot nasty mix inside the column waiting to
          eat away anything that dissolves.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
          wrote:

          > There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
          > I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that
          was 6
          > months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
          > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
          > > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
          > >
          > > Cheers, Riku
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive"
          <zapatavive@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on
          it's
          > > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick,
          or
          > > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
          > > >
          > > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering
          and
          > > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so
          close
          > > that it melts nearby seams.
          > > > Thanks in advance.
          > > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and
          found
          > > nothing)
          > > >
          > > > Zapata

        • stavjen76
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
            --Before I was able to borrow a friends brazing equipment I rigged
            my still with the two part epoxy resin. If you have no other
            options it will work. Just don't bother with the jb weld, as it is
            far too brittle to function properly. What worked for me was the
            cheapest product, just get a tube of plummers putty( the grey two
            part type) mix it and firmly press around the perimeter of the
            column. I built it up rather thick and it worked for about five
            runs.

            Just make sure you sand the parts with rough sandpaper and clean all
            grease/oils from the parts. If you want the connection to last
            longer wait until the wash cools after distillation before moving
            the still. The heat and solvents soften the epoxy somewhat when
            hot. If you let it cool without moving the still around or bumping
            the column it could probably last quite a few distillations.

            Nearly all the two part epoxies are non-toxic when cured, many are
            used to fix water tanks and plumbing where human consumption is
            involved.