Re: Milk can

  • Robert Hubble
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2 7:11 PM
      Posted by: "skmackie" skmackie@...   skmackie
      Tue Dec 2, 2008 12:19 pm (PST)

      >I've decided to try and make my own distiller using BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
      >instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel
      >milk can which I am looking for now and a column
      >created from copper pipe. Any comments on this
      >method, especially any specifics about the milk can?
      >I know you have to use silver solder.

      >A guy from another group sent these instructions
      >to the group and I got them in that way.

      >I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone
      >wishes and there won't be any problems with that.

      >Sheryl

      Sheryl,

      The biggest aid in picking a still design is this question:
      "Are you going to make just vodka to be artificially
      flavored later, or will you make flavored boozes like
      whisk(e)y, brandy, rum, grappa, and so on?"

      If you will be a vodka-maker, then you will (sort of)
      need a reflux still. If you intend to produce flavored
      drinks, you will be better served by a potstill, which
      will probably be simpler to construct. Yes, some
      will detune a reflux still to make whisk(e)y, and I'm
      in the process of making a very clean vodka in a
      potstill, but those are really not good fits for the tools.

      No need to wind all those weensy coils if you don't
      want vodka.

      You may not need this direction, but I hope it helps.
      --
      Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstller
    • skmackie
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2 8:09 PM
        I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
        possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.

        Sheryl

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3 5:07 AM

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

          > I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
          > possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.
          >
          > Sheryl

          Hi Sheryl,

          For the distilling, this is about as simple as it gets.
          Easy, simple build, gives 95% a/v without much effort.

          If you don't want to mess around with the fermenting side of things, just buy cheap 'chateau cardboard' wine (grape alcohol) and distil that...

        • skmackie
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3 3:45 PM
            I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for building a still. Could you
            send it to me at skmackie@...?

            Thanks from Sheryl

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4 12:34 AM
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

              > I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for
              building a still. Could you
              > send it to me at skmackie@...?
              >
              > Thanks from Sheryl

              Read the messages online. html is displayed...