Re: Milk can

  • skmackie
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
      That certainly looks like the one I was thinking of building. I'll look about for the setups
      you mentioned. Thanks.

      Sheryl

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
      > <quietman2266@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I'd like to see them if poss.
      > >
      > > Regars, Ian
      > >
      > > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@>
      > >
      > > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
      > > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
      > > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which
      > I am
      > > > looking for now and a
      > > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
      > especially
      > > > any specifics
      > > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
      > > >
      > > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and
      > I got
      > > > them in that way.
      > > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there
      > won't be
      > > > any problems
      > > > with that.
      > > >
      > > > Sheryl
      >
      > Is it this one?
      > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
      > If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The BOK
      > slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon Stone
      > columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one that
      > you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
      > pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from this
      > design.
      >
      > Mason

    • Robert Hubble
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
        Posted by: "skmackie" skmackie@...   skmackie
        Tue Dec 2, 2008 12:19 pm (PST)

        >I've decided to try and make my own distiller using BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
        >instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel
        >milk can which I am looking for now and a column
        >created from copper pipe. Any comments on this
        >method, especially any specifics about the milk can?
        >I know you have to use silver solder.

        >A guy from another group sent these instructions
        >to the group and I got them in that way.

        >I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone
        >wishes and there won't be any problems with that.

        >Sheryl

        Sheryl,

        The biggest aid in picking a still design is this question:
        "Are you going to make just vodka to be artificially
        flavored later, or will you make flavored boozes like
        whisk(e)y, brandy, rum, grappa, and so on?"

        If you will be a vodka-maker, then you will (sort of)
        need a reflux still. If you intend to produce flavored
        drinks, you will be better served by a potstill, which
        will probably be simpler to construct. Yes, some
        will detune a reflux still to make whisk(e)y, and I'm
        in the process of making a very clean vodka in a
        potstill, but those are really not good fits for the tools.

        No need to wind all those weensy coils if you don't
        want vodka.

        You may not need this direction, but I hope it helps.
        --
        Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstller
      • skmackie
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
          I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
          possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.

          Sheryl

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

            > I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
            > possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.
            >
            > Sheryl

            Hi Sheryl,

            For the distilling, this is about as simple as it gets.
            Easy, simple build, gives 95% a/v without much effort.

            If you don't want to mess around with the fermenting side of things, just buy cheap 'chateau cardboard' wine (grape alcohol) and distil that...

          • skmackie
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
              I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for building a still. Could you
              send it to me at skmackie@...?

              Thanks from Sheryl

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

                > I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for
                building a still. Could you
                > send it to me at skmackie@...?
                >
                > Thanks from Sheryl

                Read the messages online. html is displayed...