RE: [new_distillers] epoxy instead of soldering / brazing?

  • tampagamer
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008

      They can work but have none of the strength of a true weld so no were as durable to stress

      Mangus

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
        Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
        ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.

        Cheers, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
        wrote:

        > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
        safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
        even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.

        > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
        brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
        that it melts nearby seams.
        > Thanks in advance.
        > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
        nothing)

        > Zapata

      • mstehelin
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
          There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
          I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that was 6
          months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.

          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
          > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku
          >
          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
          > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
          > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
          > >
          > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
          > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
          > that it melts nearby seams.
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
          > nothing)
          > >
          > > Zapata

        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
            So what did they reply? You really should ask about resistance to
            azeotropic hot mix of liquid/gaseous ethanol, ethyl acetate, n-
            propanol etc. We have a hot nasty mix inside the column waiting to
            eat away anything that dissolves.

            Cheers, Riku

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
            wrote:

            > There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
            > I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that
            was 6
            > months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.
            >

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
            > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
            > > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
            > >
            > > Cheers, Riku
            > >
            > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive"
            <zapatavive@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on
            it's
            > > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick,
            or
            > > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
            > > >
            > > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering
            and
            > > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so
            close
            > > that it melts nearby seams.
            > > > Thanks in advance.
            > > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and
            found
            > > nothing)
            > > >
            > > > Zapata

          • stavjen76
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
              --Before I was able to borrow a friends brazing equipment I rigged
              my still with the two part epoxy resin. If you have no other
              options it will work. Just don't bother with the jb weld, as it is
              far too brittle to function properly. What worked for me was the
              cheapest product, just get a tube of plummers putty( the grey two
              part type) mix it and firmly press around the perimeter of the
              column. I built it up rather thick and it worked for about five
              runs.

              Just make sure you sand the parts with rough sandpaper and clean all
              grease/oils from the parts. If you want the connection to last
              longer wait until the wash cools after distillation before moving
              the still. The heat and solvents soften the epoxy somewhat when
              hot. If you let it cool without moving the still around or bumping
              the column it could probably last quite a few distillations.

              Nearly all the two part epoxies are non-toxic when cured, many are
              used to fix water tanks and plumbing where human consumption is
              involved.