epoxy instead of soldering / brazing?

  • Zapata Vive
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
      Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's safety for our purposes.  Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.

      Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and brazing?  They are particularly appealing for work that is so close that it melts nearby seams.
      Thanks in advance.
      (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found nothing)

      Zapata
    • tampagamer
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008

        They can work but have none of the strength of a true weld so no were as durable to stress

        Mangus

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2008
          Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
          ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.

          Cheers, Riku

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
          wrote:

          > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
          safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
          even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.

          > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
          brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
          that it melts nearby seams.
          > Thanks in advance.
          > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
          nothing)

          > Zapata

        • mstehelin
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
            There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
            I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that was 6
            months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.

            <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

            > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
            > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
            >
            > Cheers, Riku
            >
            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on it's
            > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick, or
            > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
            > >
            > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering and
            > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so close
            > that it melts nearby seams.
            > > Thanks in advance.
            > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and found
            > nothing)
            > >
            > > Zapata

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
              So what did they reply? You really should ask about resistance to
              azeotropic hot mix of liquid/gaseous ethanol, ethyl acetate, n-
              propanol etc. We have a hot nasty mix inside the column waiting to
              eat away anything that dissolves.

              Cheers, Riku

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
              wrote:

              > There is a loctite 349 product that will glue glass together.
              > I wrote and asked about its resistance to high alocohol and that
              was 6
              > months ago. Would be easier than melting glass together.
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
              > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Some brands will dissolve when in contact with hot high proof
              > > ethanol. Not a good thing if you plan on drinking the stuff.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Riku
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive"
              <zapatavive@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Just curious if anybody had tried it or had any thoughts on
              it's
              > > safety for our purposes. Products such as JB Weld, Fix-It-Stick,
              or
              > > even the copper colored two part epoxy designed for copper pipes.
              > > >
              > > > Anybody know if these would be safe alternatives to soldering
              and
              > > brazing? They are particularly appealing for work that is so
              close
              > > that it melts nearby seams.
              > > > Thanks in advance.
              > > > (and my apologies if this has been covered, I searched and
              found
              > > nothing)
              > > >
              > > > Zapata

            • stavjen76
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 5, 2008
                --Before I was able to borrow a friends brazing equipment I rigged
                my still with the two part epoxy resin. If you have no other
                options it will work. Just don't bother with the jb weld, as it is
                far too brittle to function properly. What worked for me was the
                cheapest product, just get a tube of plummers putty( the grey two
                part type) mix it and firmly press around the perimeter of the
                column. I built it up rather thick and it worked for about five
                runs.

                Just make sure you sand the parts with rough sandpaper and clean all
                grease/oils from the parts. If you want the connection to last
                longer wait until the wash cools after distillation before moving
                the still. The heat and solvents soften the epoxy somewhat when
                hot. If you let it cool without moving the still around or bumping
                the column it could probably last quite a few distillations.

                Nearly all the two part epoxies are non-toxic when cured, many are
                used to fix water tanks and plumbing where human consumption is
                involved.