Re: [new_distillers] Milk can

  • Ian Teelingi
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
      I'd like to see them if poss.

      Regars, Ian

      2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@...>

      I've decided to try and make my own distiller using BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
      instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which I am looking for now and a
      column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method, especially any specifics
      about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.

      A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and I got them in that way.
      I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there won't be any problems
      with that.

      Sheryl

    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
        <quietman2266@...> wrote:

        > I'd like to see them if poss.
        >
        > Regars, Ian
        >
        > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@...>
        >
        > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
        > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
        > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which
        I am
        > > looking for now and a
        > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
        especially
        > > any specifics
        > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
        > >
        > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and
        I got
        > > them in that way.
        > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there
        won't be
        > > any problems
        > > with that.
        > >
        > > Sheryl

        Is it this one?
        http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
        If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The BOK
        slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon Stone
        columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one that
        you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
        pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from this
        design.

        Mason
      • rhodeseng
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
          I built one of those because they looked cool

          Don't do it!! they are a pain in the ass to make good product.

          Don't run cooling water thru the column.

          It will use huge amounts of cooling water and require way too much
          energy.

          I since reworked mine.

          cary

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
          > <quietman2266@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'd like to see them if poss.
          > >
          > > Regars, Ian
          > >
          > > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@>
          > >
          > > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
          > > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
          > > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can
          which
          > I am
          > > > looking for now and a
          > > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
          > especially
          > > > any specifics
          > > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
          > > >
          > > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group
          and
          > I got
          > > > them in that way.
          > > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and
          there
          > won't be
          > > > any problems
          > > > with that.
          > > >
          > > > Sheryl
          >
          > Is it this one?
          > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
          > If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The
          BOK
          > slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon
          Stone
          > columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one
          that
          > you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
          > pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from
          this
          > design.
          >
          > Mason

        • skmackie
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
            That certainly looks like the one I was thinking of building. I'll look about for the setups
            you mentioned. Thanks.

            Sheryl

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
            > <quietman2266@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'd like to see them if poss.
            > >
            > > Regars, Ian
            > >
            > > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@>
            > >
            > > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
            > > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
            > > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which
            > I am
            > > > looking for now and a
            > > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
            > especially
            > > > any specifics
            > > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
            > > >
            > > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and
            > I got
            > > > them in that way.
            > > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there
            > won't be
            > > > any problems
            > > > with that.
            > > >
            > > > Sheryl
            >
            > Is it this one?
            > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
            > If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The BOK
            > slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon Stone
            > columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one that
            > you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
            > pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from this
            > design.
            >
            > Mason

          • Robert Hubble
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
              Posted by: "skmackie" skmackie@...   skmackie
              Tue Dec 2, 2008 12:19 pm (PST)

              >I've decided to try and make my own distiller using BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
              >instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel
              >milk can which I am looking for now and a column
              >created from copper pipe. Any comments on this
              >method, especially any specifics about the milk can?
              >I know you have to use silver solder.

              >A guy from another group sent these instructions
              >to the group and I got them in that way.

              >I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone
              >wishes and there won't be any problems with that.

              >Sheryl

              Sheryl,

              The biggest aid in picking a still design is this question:
              "Are you going to make just vodka to be artificially
              flavored later, or will you make flavored boozes like
              whisk(e)y, brandy, rum, grappa, and so on?"

              If you will be a vodka-maker, then you will (sort of)
              need a reflux still. If you intend to produce flavored
              drinks, you will be better served by a potstill, which
              will probably be simpler to construct. Yes, some
              will detune a reflux still to make whisk(e)y, and I'm
              in the process of making a very clean vodka in a
              potstill, but those are really not good fits for the tools.

              No need to wind all those weensy coils if you don't
              want vodka.

              You may not need this direction, but I hope it helps.
              --
              Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstller
            • skmackie
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
                I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
                possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.

                Sheryl

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008

                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

                  > I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
                  > possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.
                  >
                  > Sheryl

                  Hi Sheryl,

                  For the distilling, this is about as simple as it gets.
                  Easy, simple build, gives 95% a/v without much effort.

                  If you don't want to mess around with the fermenting side of things, just buy cheap 'chateau cardboard' wine (grape alcohol) and distil that...

                • skmackie
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
                    I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for building a still. Could you
                    send it to me at skmackie@...?

                    Thanks from Sheryl

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

                      > I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for
                      building a still. Could you
                      > send it to me at skmackie@...?
                      >
                      > Thanks from Sheryl

                      Read the messages online. html is displayed...