Milk can

  • skmackie
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
      I've decided to try and make my own distiller using BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
      instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which I am looking for now and a
      column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method, especially any specifics
      about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.

      A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and I got them in that way.
      I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there won't be any problems
      with that.

      Sheryl
    • Ian Teelingi

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
          <quietman2266@...> wrote:

          > I'd like to see them if poss.
          >
          > Regars, Ian
          >
          > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@...>
          >
          > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
          > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
          > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which
          I am
          > > looking for now and a
          > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
          especially
          > > any specifics
          > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
          > >
          > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and
          I got
          > > them in that way.
          > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there
          won't be
          > > any problems
          > > with that.
          > >
          > > Sheryl

          Is it this one?
          http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
          If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The BOK
          slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon Stone
          columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one that
          you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
          pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from this
          design.

          Mason
        • rhodeseng
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
            I built one of those because they looked cool

            Don't do it!! they are a pain in the ass to make good product.

            Don't run cooling water thru the column.

            It will use huge amounts of cooling water and require way too much
            energy.

            I since reworked mine.

            cary

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
            > <quietman2266@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'd like to see them if poss.
            > >
            > > Regars, Ian
            > >
            > > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@>
            > >
            > > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
            > > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
            > > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can
            which
            > I am
            > > > looking for now and a
            > > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
            > especially
            > > > any specifics
            > > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
            > > >
            > > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group
            and
            > I got
            > > > them in that way.
            > > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and
            there
            > won't be
            > > > any problems
            > > > with that.
            > > >
            > > > Sheryl
            >
            > Is it this one?
            > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
            > If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The
            BOK
            > slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon
            Stone
            > columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one
            that
            > you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
            > pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from
            this
            > design.
            >
            > Mason

          • skmackie
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
              That certainly looks like the one I was thinking of building. I'll look about for the setups
              you mentioned. Thanks.

              Sheryl

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ian Teelingi"
              > <quietman2266@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I'd like to see them if poss.
              > >
              > > Regars, Ian
              > >
              > > 2008/12/2 skmackie <skmackie@>
              > >
              > > > I've decided to try and make my own distiller using
              > > > BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
              > > > instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel milk can which
              > I am
              > > > looking for now and a
              > > > column created from copper pipe. Any comments on this method,
              > especially
              > > > any specifics
              > > > about the milk can? I know you have to use silver solder.
              > > >
              > > > A guy from another group sent these instructions to the group and
              > I got
              > > > them in that way.
              > > > I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone wishes and there
              > won't be
              > > > any problems
              > > > with that.
              > > >
              > > > Sheryl
              >
              > Is it this one?
              > http://www.moonshine-still.com/page11.htm
              > If so then there are much better and easier designs to build. The BOK
              > slant plate comes to mind as well as most versions of the Nixon Stone
              > columns and Vapor management is great and easy to run. This one that
              > you are looking at not so much. Coolant management as this one is
              > pretty finicky. Myself and others tend to push people away from this
              > design.
              >
              > Mason

            • Robert Hubble
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
                Posted by: "skmackie" skmackie@...   skmackie
                Tue Dec 2, 2008 12:19 pm (PST)

                >I've decided to try and make my own distiller using BuildingHomeDistillationApparatus.pdf
                >instructions. It calls for use of a stainless steel
                >milk can which I am looking for now and a column
                >created from copper pipe. Any comments on this
                >method, especially any specifics about the milk can?
                >I know you have to use silver solder.

                >A guy from another group sent these instructions
                >to the group and I got them in that way.

                >I'd be happy to give them to this group if anyone
                >wishes and there won't be any problems with that.

                >Sheryl

                Sheryl,

                The biggest aid in picking a still design is this question:
                "Are you going to make just vodka to be artificially
                flavored later, or will you make flavored boozes like
                whisk(e)y, brandy, rum, grappa, and so on?"

                If you will be a vodka-maker, then you will (sort of)
                need a reflux still. If you intend to produce flavored
                drinks, you will be better served by a potstill, which
                will probably be simpler to construct. Yes, some
                will detune a reflux still to make whisk(e)y, and I'm
                in the process of making a very clean vodka in a
                potstill, but those are really not good fits for the tools.

                No need to wind all those weensy coils if you don't
                want vodka.

                You may not need this direction, but I hope it helps.
                --
                Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstller
              • skmackie
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
                  I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
                  possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.

                  Sheryl

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

                    > I will be using alcohol for herbal extraction so I want as high of alcohol content as
                    > possible using grape as a base. From what I've been told, this means a reflux distiller.
                    >
                    > Sheryl

                    Hi Sheryl,

                    For the distilling, this is about as simple as it gets.
                    Easy, simple build, gives 95% a/v without much effort.

                    If you don't want to mess around with the fermenting side of things, just buy cheap 'chateau cardboard' wine (grape alcohol) and distil that...

                  • skmackie
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
                      I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for building a still. Could you
                      send it to me at skmackie@...?

                      Thanks from Sheryl

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

                        > I didn't get all your message. I assume it included plans for
                        building a still. Could you
                        > send it to me at skmackie@...?
                        >
                        > Thanks from Sheryl

                        Read the messages online. html is displayed...