Re: Caring for internal elements

  • Sherman
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
      You ma be happy to know that a lot of the cheap elements are simply
      copper plated. Some of the expensive ones are chrome nickel. I just
      rinse mine and so far I have a copper one that has many thousand hours
      on it and still like new. I have had some really nasty grain washes
      starch it up once in a while but a wipe with a cloth cleans it right up.

      I have good controllers if you need one for more control of the power
      if you decide to run one of these with a column.

      > I have been thinking about going electric for Spirit runs for some
      > time now. The major decision for me was whether to go internal
      > elements or external hot plate. After doing some reading and thinking
      > I decided that Internal elements made the most sense to me as I wanted
      > something that was plug in and forget. So I picked up a 1500 watt 120
      > volt element and a 2500 watt 240 volt element that I am running at 120
      > volts for I think an end result of 625 watts. So far I have only
      > installed the 625 watt element and after a 3 gallon reflux spirit run
      > yesterday I am very please with the decision. I had it sitting on my
      > propane burner and used that(carefully) to help bring the low wines up
      > to temp quickly and then killed it. It was just plain wonderful not
      > having to check or adjust that damn flame every so often. And it was
      > satisfying knowing that I was making the run at a speed that would
      > give me more control over the outcome of the run. Propane did not
      > afford this in my opinion.
      > So after all of that explanation My question is: is there any special
      > care that needs to be taken with these? I just used water heater
      > elements from the hardware store and they were nice and shiny when
      > new. After a 2 hour burn in water they had pretty much flaked all
      > that shine off and are just brown now. Will they rust?
      > From my explanation above did I get my wattage calculations right?
      > The plan is to install the 1500 watt element as well and use them both
      > for heat up and the cut back to one or the other depending on what
      > column I have on the boiler (pot or reflux) and what I am making. I
      > bought a new matching stock pot for this and will continue to use the
      > old one for strip runs using the propane cooker. And yes I did
      > remember to cover the element with water for safety. This will also
      > make me apply Harry's still charge dilution principal as well. :)
      >
      > Mason

    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 1, 2008
        Good decision Mason. Now you did not mention your column size or pot
        size/insulation, but it could well be that the 1500W element is the
        way to go. Calculate the vaporspeed and heat losses and aim for
        12"/s. About the element care, with sugar mashes I just rinse them.
        They turn brownish or even copper color but so far they have hold
        well in my use. With malt mashes I sometimes need to clear them a bit
        with a scrubber.

        Cheers, Riku

        > I have been thinking about going electric for Spirit runs for some
        > time now. The major decision for me was whether to go internal
        > elements or external hot plate. After doing some reading and
        thinking
        > I decided that Internal elements made the most sense to me as I
        wanted
        > something that was plug in and forget. So I picked up a 1500 watt
        120
        > volt element and a 2500 watt 240 volt element that I am running at
        120
        > volts for I think an end result of 625 watts. So far I have only
        > installed the 625 watt element and after a 3 gallon reflux spirit
        run
        > yesterday I am very please with the decision. I had it sitting on
        my
        > propane burner and used that(carefully) to help bring the low wines
        up
        > to temp quickly and then killed it. It was just plain wonderful not
        > having to check or adjust that damn flame every so often. And it
        was
        > satisfying knowing that I was making the run at a speed that would
        > give me more control over the outcome of the run. Propane did not
        > afford this in my opinion.
        > So after all of that explanation My question is: is there any
        special
        > care that needs to be taken with these? I just used water heater
        > elements from the hardware store and they were nice and shiny when
        > new. After a 2 hour burn in water they had pretty much flaked all
        > that shine off and are just brown now. Will they rust?
        > From my explanation above did I get my wattage calculations right?
        > The plan is to install the 1500 watt element as well and use them
        both
        > for heat up and the cut back to one or the other depending on what
        > column I have on the boiler (pot or reflux) and what I am making. I
        > bought a new matching stock pot for this and will continue to use
        the
        > old one for strip runs using the propane cooker. And yes I did
        > remember to cover the element with water for safety. This will also
        > make me apply Harry's still charge dilution principal as well. :)
        >
        > Mason

      • rye_junkie1
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2008
          <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

          > Good decision Mason. Now you did not mention your column size or pot
          > size/insulation, but it could well be that the 1500W element is the
          > way to go. Calculate the vaporspeed and heat losses and aim for
          > 12"/s. About the element care, with sugar mashes I just rinse them.
          > They turn brownish or even copper color but so far they have hold
          > well in my use. With malt mashes I sometimes need to clear them a bit
          > with a scrubber.
          >
          > Cheers, Riku

          Thanks Ken, Sherman and Riku for weighing in on this. Your answers
          are what I thought they would be. The Elements that I used were not
          expensive ones 13 bucks each at the local ACE hardware. The column
          size for my pot Rig is 14" of 1.5" copper tube Tee'd to a 3/4" arm and
          condenser(Liebig). There are 2- 3/8" OD through tubes just under the
          Tee for CM if I want to use them for a little reflux. I figured this
          would be what I used the 1500 watt element for.
          My reflux column is 48" of 1.5" set up VM style using a coil at the
          top and my 3/4 ID x 1" OD (jacket) liebig . I would use the 625 watt
          element for this one. Riku, I think you actually recommended 500
          watts for this but 625 is the best I can do for now.

          Mason
        • skmackie
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
            This guy has sent me two emails saying the same thing as below. Maybe it wasn't such a
            good idea to give out my email address to this group. At least it's my throwaway
            address.

            Sheryl

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Benson Hard <benson.hard@...> wrote:

            > DEAR SIRS/MADAM,
            >
            > I WANT TO START HOME DISTILLATION UNIT (NEUTRAL ALCOHOL)BY DAILY 500
            LITTER.. PLEASE SEND THE DRAWING OF 200 LITTER CAPACITY POTS. HOW TO BOILING
            ,FILTERING ETC

            http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

          • abbababbaccc
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 3, 2008
              Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you had
              such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to take
              into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
              uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.

              Cheers, Riku

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "skmackie" <skmackie@...> wrote:

                > This guy has sent me two emails saying the same thing as below.
                Maybe it wasn't such a
                > good idea to give out my email address to this group. At least it's
                my throwaway
                > address.

                Put him in the killfile.

              • rye_junkie1
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                  <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                  > Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you had
                  > such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to take
                  > into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
                  > uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.
                  >
                  > Cheers, Riku

                  So if I understand you correctly, with my currently uninsulated 7.5
                  gallon boiler a 1000 watt element may be necessary to compensate for
                  heat loss at the boiler? I realize there are a bunch of variables in
                  this game but I want to make sure i am understanding the basics as I
                  make the Hobby more technical.
                  To add to this, what would be a good insulation to use for the boiler?
                  I know a couple of beach towels and some duct tape would help but
                  there has to be a "Good and Reasonable" solution.
                  Thanks.

                  Mason
                • abbababbaccc
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008

                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
                    > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you
                    had
                    > > such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to
                    take
                    > > into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
                    > > uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.
                    > >
                    > > Cheers, Riku
                    >

                    > So if I understand you correctly, with my currently uninsulated 7.5
                    > gallon boiler a 1000 watt element may be necessary to compensate for
                    > heat loss at the boiler? I realize there are a bunch of variables
                    in
                    > this game but I want to make sure i am understanding the basics as I
                    > make the Hobby more technical.
                    > To add to this, what would be a good insulation to use for the
                    boiler?
                    > I know a couple of beach towels and some duct tape would help but
                    > there has to be a "Good and Reasonable" solution.
                    > Thanks.
                    >
                    > Mason

                    That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
                    and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
                    foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
                    good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
                    systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
                    well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
                    self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
                    on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.

                    Cheers, Riku
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@...> wrote:

                      > That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
                      > and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
                      > foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
                      > good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
                      > systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
                      > well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
                      > self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
                      > on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.
                      >
                      > Cheers, Riku

                      Cheapest ($5-$10) and most successful solution for small boilers is a windshield sun protector.  Wrap it around & tape in place.  It reflects all the heat back into the boiler.

                      No Frost Windscreen Protector

                    • rye_junkie1
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008

                        > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc" <abbababbaccc@>
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > > That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
                        > > and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
                        > > foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
                        > > good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
                        > > systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
                        > > well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
                        > > self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
                        > > on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.
                        > >
                        > > Cheers, Riku
                        > >

                        > Cheapest ($5-$10) and most successful solution for small boilers is a
                        > windshield sun protector. Wrap it around & tape in place. It reflects
                        > all the heat back into the boiler.
                        >
                        > [No Frost Windscreen Protector]

                        <http://www.cheapcat.com/scripts/forward.php?name=No+Frost+Windscreen+Pr\

                        otector&merchant=Grand+Prix+Legends&product=EUX003(GPL_BaseCatalog)&stre\
                        > am=ccp>
                        >

                        > Slainte!
                        > regards Harry

                        I would never have thought of the windshield thingy. My wife has one
                        almost like that in her trunk that she never uses. Mine now. Shiny
                        side to the boiler right?
                        Thanks to the both of you for the ideas.

                        Mason
                      • Rodney
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 4, 2008
                          > > windshield sun protector. Wrap it around & tape in place. It
                          reflects

                          I work at Home Depot so I'm running into things that spark the
                          imagination for contraptions all day long. Anyway today down the
                          insulation aisle (which I don't normally work down) I saw the
                          reflective insulation rolls (similar to your windshield protectors)
                          its a good sized roll for $10 bucks, which will probably make you
                          several windshield protectors....Or man good still blankets.

                          Rodney
                        • Zapata Vive
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                            I can vouch for the shiny bubble insulation from HD or Lowes.  Works a dream, and is the perfect size (2' wide) to fit a keg, or can be cut readily to any other desired size.  Plus, it doesn't look anywhere near as ghetto as a sleeping pad, not that I'm above that, I used to have a blue one on my boiler.  But the shiny foil goes well with all the copper and stainless IMHO.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 5, 2008
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Zapata Vive" <zapatavive@...>
                              wrote:

                              > I can vouch for the shiny bubble insulation from HD or Lowes. Works
                              a dream, and is the perfect size (2' wide) to fit a keg, or can be cut
                              readily to any other desired size. Plus, it doesn't look anywhere
                              near as ghetto as a sleeping pad, not that I'm above that, I used to
                              have a blue one on my boiler. But the shiny foil goes well with all
                              the copper and stainless IMHO.

                              And off to Home Depot I go. Time for a new Grill too. Thanks guys.
                              Is this the Stuff?
                              http://tinyurl.com/5vl9z3

                              Mason