Cloudy Spirit (Attn: Mason)

  • vodkaman1976
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 26, 2008
      Hey Mason I know you had an issue in message 32035 with a cloudy
      spirit. I too am using wal-mart distilled water and all of a sudden
      have a cloudy product. Did you ever find a way to get rid of the
      cloudiness? I had a bottle of the same brand of distilled water and
      cut the product with no cloudiness. I used another bottle of the same
      brand of water to cut the rest of the spirit and ended up with
      cloudiness. So I know it is the water and not my spirit that is
      causing this problem. Did you ever figure out a wat to rectify the
      problem?
    • rye_junkie1
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 27, 2008
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkaman1976"
        <vodkaman1976@...> wrote:

        > Hey Mason I know you had an issue in message 32035 with a cloudy
        > spirit. I too am using wal-mart distilled water and all of a sudden
        > have a cloudy product. Did you ever find a way to get rid of the
        > cloudiness? I had a bottle of the same brand of distilled water and
        > cut the product with no cloudiness. I used another bottle of the same
        > brand of water to cut the rest of the spirit and ended up with
        > cloudiness. So I know it is the water and not my spirit that is
        > causing this problem. Did you ever figure out a wat to rectify the
        > problem?

        I was able to filter it through about 6" of packed carbon and cotton
        and it came clean. The brand I had problems with was Crystal Springs.
        The Wal Mart label has always been fine for me. One question. The
        stuff you were diluting, was it all mixed together in one jug or were
        you mixing individual Jars from through out the run? If through out
        the run then that second cut could have been Tails and that could be
        the problem. Also if you still have the old empty jug check the
        source named on the label if it names one. I would be interested in
        knowing if they match.

        Mason
      • vodkaman1976
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 27, 2008
          The brand of distilled water is Wal-Marts generic brand (Great
          Value). It is bottled by Premium Waters in Quincy Illinois by reverse
          osmosis, distillation, microfiltration and ozonation and is sodium
          free or so the label says. I added it 50/50 to 1 batch of neutral from
          the same run, then was gonna send it through the carbon. Problem is
          that as soon as I added it the bottle went cloudy. I ran out of water
          on previous cut so I bought some more of this brand which I have used
          once before with no problem.
        • Mark
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2008
            Did you pour the water into the high proof alcohol? Or did you pour
            the high proof alcohol into the water? I do not understand the
            chemistry involved, but tend to get cloudiness when I pour water into
            alcohol - and a clean produce when done the other way around.

            Using round numbers, if I have 1L of pure alcohol that I want to cut to
            100 proof / 50%abv, I pour 1L of water into a 2+L capacity jar - then
            add the 1L of pure alcohol. I use distilled water.

            Mark
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 29, 2008
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@...> wrote:

              > Did you pour the water into the high proof alcohol? Or did you pour
              > the high proof alcohol into the water? I do not understand the
              > chemistry involved, but tend to get cloudiness when I pour water into
              > alcohol - and a clean produce when done the other way around.
              >
              > Using round numbers, if I have 1L of pure alcohol that I want to cut
              > 100 proof / 50%abv, I pour 1L of water into a 2+L capacity jar - then
              > add the 1L of pure alcohol. I use distilled water.
              >
              > Mark

              Mark,

              I've not seen the reaction you speak of. But for mixing/dilution, it's
              good practice to add the alcohol to the basic vehicle (in this case
              water).

              This becomes mandatory when you're mixing such things as milk-based
              concoctions, like Baileys knockoffs. Adding the alcohol while stirring
              prevents fat separation & milk curdling. If done the other way around
              you are adding tiny amounts of milk to raw alcohol, which causes the
              afore-mentioned problems.

              On your dilution method...It's close enough for hobby purposes, but
              your finished abv will be lower than you think, around 47%. Tony'
              calculators are an easy way to do it.
              http://homedistiller.org/dilute.htm#calc

              But even Tony's calcs aren't absolutely correct. They don't take into
              account the shrinkage that occurs in mixes. In this case 1 + 1 ‚ 2. 1
              litre volume of ethanol + 1 litre volume of water IS NOT EQUAL to 2
              litre volumes of end product.

              Water and ethanol mix to form a solution. The solution formation is
              exothermic, and a substantial amount of heat is released. Also, the
              final volume of the solution is less than the sum of the volumes of
              each component.

              Check out this page and short Quicktime clip...
              http://chemmovies.unl.edu/Chemistry/DoChem/DoChem070.html