new at this, want to start

  • tdgolden62
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008
      I have read and read, and now I dont no what to stsrt with. there are
      so many out there. what mix should i start with? how much of what?
      small 2gal pot. hope this dont sound dumb.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2008

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tdgolden62" <tdgolden62@...> wrote:

        > I have read and read, and now I dont no what to stsrt with. there are
        > so many out there. what mix should i start with? how much of what?
        > small 2gal pot. hope this dont sound dumb.

        Welcome to the black arts.  :D  Start here...

        http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ files/Mason% 20Jar%20Dixon% 20-%20Rye% 20Junkie/

        When you need more, go to the other sections of our Database here...

      • Teressa Golden
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2008
          thanks for your quick reply, we are going to try recipe #1, the one you love. can we use turbo yeast48? we have some of that. Thanks again.

          > I have read and read, and now I dont no what to stsrt with. there are
          > so many out there. what mix should i start with? how much of what?
          > small 2gal pot. hope this dont sound dumb.

          Welcome to the black arts.  :D  Start here...

          When you need more, go to the other sections of our Database here...
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ database

        • rye_junkie1
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2008
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Teressa Golden <tdgolden62@...>
            wrote:

            > thanks for your quick reply, we are going to try recipe #1, the one
            you love. can we use turbo yeast48? we have some of that. Thanks again.

            If you have a turbo 48 then you should follow the directions on the
            pack. I have used the Brewhaus 48hr version and it makes good booze
            at the "middle" level ( 7kg ) on the sugar. I think its 15lbs that I
            use. I stay away from pushing turbos to their max as I think this is
            one of the causes of "Off Taste" from them and this is one of the
            reasons people develop an aversion to them. Cost would be the biggest
            issue with them and I never really understood that argument. Turbo
            yeast are a great way to get your feet wet in this Hobby. Do a couple
            of those and then try the Wheat Germ recipe.

            Mason
          • Teressa Golden
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 27, 2008
              harry, well we are ready to start. #1 recipe. I got red star active dry yeast {for bread} thats ok right? well wish us luck. thanks . teressa

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 27, 2008
                hey buddy, thanks so much for your help. one more little question.  how long to ferment? we have ordered a wine hydromerter but its not here yet. dont no when it will come. both the wine and the spirts. if you dont have this how long does it take? you have been the best in helping us and oh buddy we so thank you... like to have some good spirts for christmas!! lol. thanks again for your help.your friend in WV. HOPE YOU HAD A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 27, 2008
                  Replies inline...

                  <tdgolden62@...> wrote:

                  > hey buddy, thanks so much for your help.

                  .....You should really thank Mason (rye Junkie). It's his tutorial.
                  All I did was point you to it.

                  one more little question.  how long to ferment? we have ordered a
                  wine hydromerter but its not here yet. dont no when it will come.
                  both the wine and the spirts. if you dont have this how long does it
                  take?

                  ......When it stops bubbling in the airlock, it's done. As long as
                  you've followed the recipe (NOT overloaded the sugar) it'll be fine.
                  Usually 4-7 days, depending on ambient temperature. Try to Keep it
                  around 80°F (27°C).

                  you have been the best in helping us and oh buddy we so thank you...
                  like to have some good spirts for christmas!! lol. thanks again for
                  your help.your friend in WV. HOPE YOU HAD A HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

                  ..........I don't do thanksgiving (I'm an Ozzie). But thanks
                  anyway. Good luck with the brew.

                • Teressa Golden
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
                    hello harry, well things are going well. in the recipe # 1. { the one with the weat germ} it talks about diluteing to drinking strengh. how is this done with a hydrrometer? and what kinds of dilutions are there? thanks for your time, hope all is well. teressa

                    > I have read and read, and now I dont no what to stsrt with. there are
                    > so many out there. what mix should i start with? how much of what?
                    > small 2gal pot. hope this dont sound dumb.

                    Welcome to the black arts.  :D  Start here...

                    When you need more, go to the other sections of our Database here...
                    http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/new_ distillers/ database

                  • Sherman
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 2, 2008
                      You can use this calculator. It is self explanatory.
                      http://www.homedistiller.org/dilute.htm#calc