[new_distillers] silicone

  • shanekirkman
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 7 3:47 PM
      Could someone tell me the name of some sealants, none of the hardware
      or plumbing supplies in my area "Yeppoon" have heard of foodgrade
      sealant.
      I am after a sealant for where the column attaches to the boiler
      and where the element go'es thru the boiler.

      Thanks Shane.

    • shanekirkman

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 8 12:45 AM
          I use silicone for just about everything needing a watertight, heat
          and caustics resistant seal. It makes a lousy glue to hold things
          together - way too stretchy. Gasoline, oil, fumes don't faze it. Let
          it cure (it doesn't "dry") for AT LEAST 24 hrs before putting it thru
          the paces. Apply at room temp, not too cold, and let it set. Peel off
          the excess after it's all set up or wipe off really well. Any
          residual film might peel on it's own and bugger up something. Any
          color is fine, I suppose, but I use clear. It's gotta be 100%
          silicone or all bets are off.

        • mnapeman2
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 8 9:09 AM
              ever tried the famous mixture of flour and water as a temporarily
              seal? (it even smells nice during the distillation)

              StillCooker
              http://geocities.com/stillcooker

              --- In new_distillers@y..., "dave trunks" <davidt@h...> wrote:
              > find someone to silver solder it for you for a few bucks and you`ll
              be miles
              > in front

              Service.

            • stillcooker
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 8 9:09 AM
                ever tried the famous mixture of flour and water as a temporarily
                seal? (it even smells nice during the distillation)

                StillCooker
                http://geocities.com/stillcooker

                --- In new_distillers@y..., "dave trunks" <davidt@h...> wrote:
                > find someone to silver solder it for you for a few bucks and you`ll
                be miles
                > in front

                Service.
              • dave trunks
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 8 10:42 PM
                  find someone to silver solder it for you for a few bucks and you`ll be miles in front

                  Could someone tell me the name of some sealants, none of the hardware
                  or plumbing supplies in my area "Yeppoon" have heard of foodgrade
                  sealant.
                  I am after a sealant for where the column attaches to the boiler
                  and where the element go'es thru the boiler.

                  Thanks Shane.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015591065%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=1>
                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/rand=751380232>

                • dave trunks

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 10 4:47 AM
                      I use rye flour paste...works very very well

                      --- In new_distillers@y..., "stillcooker" <stillcooker@y...> wrote:
                      > ever tried the famous mixture of flour and water as a
                      temporarily
                      > seal? (it even smells nice during the distillation)
                      >
                      > StillCooker
                      > http://geocities.com/stillcooker
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@y..., "dave trunks" <davidt@h...> wrote:
                      > > find someone to silver solder it for you for a few bucks and
                      you`ll
                      > be miles
                      > > in front

                    • Dan Ford
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 11 2:57 PM
                        I used the Dow 736 food grade / high temp silicone. It is what Tree Top apple juice uses in their processing plants. It has worked well for me over 6 runs.

                        Dan

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 12 8:57 PM
                          Gday Dan & Tim

                          Have just read the restrictions of 732
                          as i have a leak in the head of my column (Copper)
                          it suggests use 747 with any metals containing Zinc & copper
                          so with stainless 732 shouldnt be a problem.
                          I havent been able to find a tube of 736 or 747 yet
                          to repair my seal .

                          Catcha Nigel

                          --- In new_distillers@y..., Tim Walters <trwalters@m...> wrote:
                          > Hi All,
                          >
                          > Dan Ford wrote:
                          >
                          > > I used the Dow 736 food grade / high temp silicone.
                          >
                          > I've always used Dow 732 food-grade. I don't know if
                          > the difference is the temp rating or not. Silicone has
                          > a pretty high temp limit, so I'd think either one would
                          > do as well.
                          >
                          > Tim
                        • G&N
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 13 6:26 PM
                            Can someone tell me what silicone is food grade please??

                            Glenn

                            > as i have a leak in the head of my column (Copper)
                            > it suggests use 747 with any metals containing Zinc & copper
                            > so with stainless 732 shouldnt be a problem.
                            > I havent been able to find a tube of 736 or 747 yet
                            > to repair my seal .
                            >
                            > Catcha Nigel
                            >
                            > --- In new_distillers@y..., Tim Walters <trwalters@m...> wrote:
                            > > Hi All,
                            > >
                            > > Dan Ford wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > I used the Dow 736 food grade / high temp silicone.
                            > >
                            > > I've always used Dow 732 food-grade. I don't know if
                            > > the difference is the temp rating or not. Silicone has
                            > > a pretty high temp limit, so I'd think either one would
                            > > do as well.
                            > >
                            > > Tim

                          • John Vandermeulen
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 14 1:33 PM
                              Look on the label, and use the transparent/colourless variety
                              John V

                              G&N wrote:

                              > Can someone tell me what silicone is food grade please??
                              >
                              > Glenn

                              ÿWPC5