Re: Water

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 21, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbr772" <bbr772@...> wrote:

      > On the forum the consensus seems to be greatly in favor of distilled
      > water for dilution (I assume this is for drinking, not for diluting
      > low wines to spirit runs, am I wrong?). Thing is, I'm in the boon and
      > have a well. Also have a water softener. Can I dilute with this for
      > drinking or is it a bad idea to use anything but distilled?
      > Was wondering as well whether I can use my rig as a water distiller
      > - kill two birds with one still. Obviously I'll have to clean it, and
      > the water might have a little flavor, but would it be feasible?

      Dont remember what kind of rig you are running but when I distill
      water in mine it always comes out pretty nasty. So I would shy away
      from that method. I also have a water softener as well as
      Chlorination/de-chlorination. Also under my kitchen sink I have one
      of those undersink filter units that I have a carbon filter in both
      sides. I have in the past diluted drinking spirit(your assumption is
      correct)with water from this and its been nice and clear but on a
      couple of occasions a tad cloudy. This is the Real issue with why
      most of us use distilled water for diluting. If you know that your
      undiluted product is of good quality and you rarely share your booze
      with others that may have an aversion to cloudy booze then you have
      nothing to fear. This is providing that your softened tap water
      tastes good as well. But if your like me and a snob that prides
      yourself on how crystal clear your hooch is then you may want to plan
      a trip to town and buy a few gallons of distilled water. I can vouch
      for Wal Mart brand, Publix Brand, and Zephyr Hills. Crystal Springs I
      have gotten cloudy spirit with. I finally got a chance to check that
      batch with a "known" brand and it came out fine.

      Mason