Re: Heads cut for Rum

  • rye_junkie1
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2008
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "billfitz49" <billfitz@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone advise me on where to make the cut between heads and
      middle run in a rum
      > spirits run? Is the cut made by taste alone?
      > Thanks,
      > Bill

      I'm no expert on Rum but I don't think its any different than with any
      other "Flavored" Spirit. And yes the best way is by smell and taste.
      Thats how I did mine. Do your Spirit run and number your collection
      jars as I have stated in past posts. This is by far the simplest
      method until you get your nose and tongue acquainted with what you are
      trying to sort out. After a few runs you will be able to just put a
      spoon under the take off and catch a few drops and discern where the
      run is. Personally I always wind up back with the numbered jars. The
      beauty of this method is that when you have all of them in front of
      you and you are sniffing and tasting you will usually have one jar in
      the bunch that is just pure liquid gold that you can age and pull out
      for those special occasions. This ain't sharin' booze. This stuff is
      like that bottle of expensive Single Malt you savor and sip from once
      a week or so. Blend the rest to taste, and age to your liken. Put
      the Heads and Tails in a feints jug to redistill.

      Mason