RE: [new_distillers] Electric Stills

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2008

      Most stills have thermometers, reflux at the top of the column just before the secondary condenser or liebig and pot stills do not have columns so is usually the at the top of the lid or dome of the boiler.

      We have some converts to the EZI Still on this site and may give some more info’ but I would suggest it the easy operation that is the attraction and are tweeked to  a certain performance level? My feeling is that whilst these stills work they are for small batches (1 or 2 bottles at time)and designed for flavoured ( Essence added) spirits. and “switch are on and walk away” and will stop when finished? I personally can not see them achieving the ABV or purity that Traditional reflux and pot stills achieve? The output ABV is low at 60% similar to a pot Still so would need multiple distills to get anything remotely neutral, and with no column or appears packing or thermometer would be very hard I suggest. However each to their own, would have to give one a go to be truly objective.

      I have the impression that these were designed for easy Export to countries where distilling is illegal (unlike NZ where I live) and can be justifiably called water purifiers and essential oil extractors, plus look nothing like a booze still so would not attract attention in the home of garage

      I have a link with the Still Spirits “Air Still” instructions which may be of help.

      http://www.stillspirits.com/webfiles/StillSpirits/files/Still_Spirits_Air_Still_Instructions_WEB.pdf

      Cheers

      Ken Mc