piloncillo rum

  • winstonz3
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 18, 2008
      Hello to all,

      I live in north Texas and I found an interesting item in the local
      Mexican grocery store. It is a form of unrefined cane sugar called
      piloncillo (little pylon). It is a great sub for brown sugar in
      cooking. It came to me one day that this stuff could be used to make
      some rum. It's not refined at all so I may not need to use nutrients.
      I would boil the sugar in part of my recipe water to kill any bacteria
      and then make it up to a gravity that would yield me 10% wash. I can
      get rum yeast from Brewhaus and then Bob's your uncle. No grains, no
      sparging, almost as easy as my wheat whiskey from malt syrup(which my
      drinking buddies prefer to Canadian blended). Well, here we go...