alcoholometer correction table

  • Geoff Redman
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 5, 2002
      Based on some data tables for water-ethanol mixtures, I've put together
      a correction table for an alcoholometer calibrated at 20 degrees
      celsius. The table covers the range of 0 to 100%abv and 0 to 50 degrees
      celsius. A draft of the report that contains the table (i.e.,
      correctiontable.pdf) has been uploaded to the 'files' section of our
      yahoo group pages. I apologize in advance for the sketchy on-screen
      display of some of the plots (I'll fix them later), but the plots print
      out OK. Please let me know if there are any other problems with the
      table or the report.

      geoff
    • Geoff Redman
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 5, 2002
        If anyone has trouble finding the correction table, try the following link:

        You will have to login with your Yahoo id before you get to the downloads
        directory.

        geoff

        > Based on some data tables for water-ethanol mixtures, I've put together
        > a correction table for an alcoholometer calibrated at 20 degrees
        > celsius. The table covers the range of 0 to 100%abv and 0 to 50 degrees
        > celsius. A draft of the report that contains the table (i.e.,
        > correctiontable.pdf) has been uploaded to the 'files' section of our
        > yahoo group pages. I apologize in advance for the sketchy on-screen
        > display of some of the plots (I'll fix them later), but the plots print
        > out OK. Please let me know if there are any other problems with the
        > table or the report.
        >
        > geoff
      • Geoff Redman
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002
          Hello all,

          I've already got some useful feedback on the alcoholometer correction table with concern for the calibration temperature. Hmmm, how many different kinds of alcoholometers are in use by our group? It's fairly straightforward to formulate a chart for any calibration temperature. Please let me know if your setup is not listed in the chart below. If there's not too many setups, perhaps I will generate soon correction tables for all of them. We may as well note both the alcoholometer and the thermometer units of measurement as well.

          # concentration units temperature units calibration temperature
          - ------------------ ------------------ -----------------------
          1 %abv deg. celsius 20 deg. celsius
          2
          3

          geoff

          Could you either provide the source data required to construct this table or
          recalculate it for an alcoholmeter calibrated at 60.0 degrees F
          (approx.15.55556 degrees C) for us unfortunates living in the US.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=1015432838%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/R=1>
          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupmail/S=1705041694:HM/A=847665/rand=254746387>

        • Geoff Redman
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002

            -       ------------------     ------------------     -----------------------
            1         %abv                       deg. celsius               20 deg. celsius
            2
            3

            geoff

            Could you either provide the source data required to construct this table or
            recalculate it for an alcoholmeter calibrated at 60.0 degrees F
            (approx.15.55556 degrees C) for us unfortunates living in the US.

          • jared
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2002
              I did one for the 0-100, if you search the message archives, I upped a xls &
              pdf version,

              jared

              > I've already got some useful feedback on the alcoholometer correction
              > table with concern for the calibration temperature. Hmmm, how many
              > different kinds of alcoholometers are in use by our group? It's fairly
              > straightforward to formulate a chart for any calibration temperature.
              > Please let me know if your setup is not listed in the chart below. If
              > there's not too many setups, perhaps I will generate soon correction
              > tables for all of them. We may as well note both the alcoholometer and
              > the thermometer units of measurement as well.
              >
              > # concentration units temperature units calibration
              > temperature
              > - ------------------ ------------------
              > -----------------------
              > 1 %abv deg. celsius 20 deg.
              > celsius
              > 2
              > 3

              > geoff
              >

              > > Could you either provide the source data required to construct this
              > > table or
              > > recalculate it for an alcoholmeter calibrated at 60.0 degrees F
              > > (approx.15.55556 degrees C) for us unfortunates living in the US.

            • peter_vcb
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                hi geoff
                i saw that you were testing your chart using whiskey which is not
                pure alcohol i was thinking of using vodka but i remembered seeing on
                a bottle of vodka i had once that it conatined glycerol.
                since most vodka makers do not put ingredients on their bottles it is
                innaccurate to presume that they are pure alcohol.
                i have gotten my hands on some absolute ethanol (pro analysis, not
                the brand absolut!). it is (or was) min 99.8% ethanol, max 0.2%
                water, max 0.05% methanol. it gives a full list on the side of what
                it contains, about 30 elements in minute percentages. since the cap
                has been off it must have sucked some moisture. i have a 0-100%
                widder hydrometer that i am going to do a small correction table for
                it empirically.

                this correction table is for myself (i will post it) and i only care
                about exact measurements of alcohol between about 90% and 96.5% and
                between temperatures of 14C and 23C.

                i am only doing a small range since i only want to measure the
                strength accurately to see how well my still is doing and only within
                a range of room temperatures that i will feasibly encounter. i.e. i
                do not care if my measurment of a diluted 40% spirit is off by 5%
                when i test it at 50C!

                i will fill a thin bottle with the alcohol and raise my room
                temperature to 20C with the hydrometer in the jar for at least an
                hour so the temperature is equal throughout the room and alcohol. it
                should be 96.5% after it has sucked in moisture. i will raise and
                lower the temperature slowly by turning the heat in the room up and
                down, rather than heating the liquid in the jar.

                one question i have is where exactly should you take the reading on a
                widder hydrometer. is it the line level with the liquid surface, or
                is it where the liquid has risen up the side of the glass due to
                surface tension. i remember one of my professors telling us it
                depended on the manufacturer and purpose/environment of measurement
                but one is much more popular then the other, cant remember which
                though!
              • Geoff Redman
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2002
                  Hi Peter,

                  > i have gotten my hands on some absolute ethanol (pro analysis, not
                  > the brand absolut!). it is (or was) min 99.8% ethanol, max 0.2%
                  > water, max 0.05% methanol. it gives a full list on the side of what
                  > it contains, about 30 elements in minute percentages. since the cap
                  > has been off it must have sucked some moisture. i have a 0-100%
                  > widder hydrometer that i am going to do a small correction table for it
                  > empirically.
                  >
                  > this correction table is for myself (i will post it) and i only care
                  > about exact measurements of alcohol between about 90% and 96.5% and between
                  > temperatures of 14C and 23C.

                  Very cool idea! Of course, this is the concentration range that the
                  distillers using fractionating columns seem most interested in, so please do
                  post your results.

                  > i am only doing a small range since i only want to measure the
                  > strength accurately to see how well my still is doing and only within
                  > a range of room temperatures that i will feasibly encounter. i.e. i
                  > do not care if my measurment of a diluted 40% spirit is off by 5%
                  > when i test it at 50C!
                  >
                  > i will fill a thin bottle with the alcohol and raise my room
                  > temperature to 20C with the hydrometer in the jar for at least an
                  > hour so the temperature is equal throughout the room and alcohol. it should
                  > be 96.5% after it has sucked in moisture. i will raise and
                  > lower the temperature slowly by turning the heat in the room up and down,
                  > rather than heating the liquid in the jar.

                  Even though the bottle is thin, you may need to worry about evaporation of
                  the alcohol over the course of the experiment, as it sounds like it will take
                  you some hours to complete.

                  > one question i have is where exactly should you take the reading on a
                  > widder hydrometer. is it the line level with the liquid surface, or
                  > is it where the liquid has risen up the side of the glass due to
                  > surface tension. i remember one of my professors telling us it
                  > depended on the manufacturer and purpose/environment of measurement but one
                  > is much more popular then the other, cant remember which though!

                  Good question. And I don't know the answer. When I use the Widder
                  alcoholometer I try to take the reading in the centre of the test jar away
                  from the surface tension effects on the side of the jar because the meniscus
                  shape depends on so many factors including jar diameter, etc. But perhaps my
                  technique has led to some sort of systematic error?

                  geoff
                • santhosh kumar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Hi,
                    Iam a new distiller.I have a alcoholometer calibratted at 15*c. let me know how to calculate the abv% in a different temperature level?

                    new_distillers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                    There are 7 messages in this issue.

                    Topics in this digest:

                    1. HAPPY NEW YEAR
                    From: "cheeperdrunk"
                    2. Opinions?
                    From: "shinershane"
                    3. Re: Opinions?
                    From: "jimpuchai"

                    4. Re: Opinions?
                    From: Derek Hamlet
                    5. Re: Opinions?
                    From: "shinershane"
                    6. Re: Opinions?
                    From: BOKAKOB
                    7. Re: Opinions?
                    From: "watertrade2003"

                    Message: 1
                    Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 04:43:19 -0000
                    From: "cheeperdrunk"
                    Subject: HAPPY NEW YEAR

                    Message: 2
                    Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 09:01:30 -0000
                    From: "shinershane"
                    Subject: Opinions?

                    Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
                    using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                    double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                    before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
                    but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
                    then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks

                    SS

                    Message: 3
                    Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 11:42:18 -0000
                    From: "jimpuchai"

                    Subject: Re: Opinions?

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shinershane"
                    wrote:
                    > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
                    > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                    > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                    > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
                    > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
                    higher
                    > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
                    >

                    > SS

                    In my experience, 1200mm of packing is fully adequate. Anything more
                    is overkill and not seriously productive. So just add the height for
                    the reducers and a condenser as described by Alex, and you will come
                    out fairly close to two meters overall. These figures are for 50mm
                    pipe. Smaller or bigger pipe, I don't know.
                    If you go any higher you will run into problems with stability,
                    access, weight and maybe birds roosting on your condenser:-) I
                    suppose you might tell your neighbours it is a fancy antennae, but
                    you may not get away with that little lie. They may even think of
                    blackmail to get free supplies (big grin)

                    Enjoy your project,
                    Jim.

                    Message: 4
                    Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 09:10:13 -0800
                    From: Derek Hamlet

                    Three metres is approx. nine feet???????? Are you sure you want it that tall?
                    At 01:01 AM 1/1/04, you wrote:
                    >Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
                    >using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                    >double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                    >before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
                    >but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
                    >then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
                    >

                    >SS
                    >

                    >New Distillers group archives are at
                    >http://archive.nnytech.net/
                    >FAQ and other information available at
                    >http://homedistiller.org
                    >
                    >ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
                    >FAQ and other information available at
                    >http://homedistiller.org
                    >

                    >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >
                    >click here
                    >
                    >[]

                    > *
                    >
                    > *
                    > Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                    Derek Hamlet
                    Victoria, B. C.
                    592-8590

                    Message: 5
                    Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 19:52:45 -0000
                    From: "shinershane"

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet
                    wrote:
                    > Three metres is approx. nine feet???????? Are you sure you want it
                    that tall?

                    I don't know, thats why I'm asking.
                    SS

                    > At 01:01 AM 1/1/04, you wrote:
                    > >Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
                    > >using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                    > >double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                    > >before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
                    > >but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
                    higher
                    > >then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
                    > >

                    > >SS
                    > >

                    > >New Distillers group archives are at
                    > >http://archive.nnytech.net/
                    > >FAQ and other information available at
                    > >http://homedistiller.org
                    > >
                    > >ttp://archive.nnytech.net/
                    > >FAQ and other information available at
                    > >http://homedistiller.org
                    > >

                    > >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                    >
                    >=egroupweb/S=1705041694:HM/EXP=1073034093/A=1911856/R=0/*http://www.li
                    fescapeinc.com/picasa/landing.php?capid=222&caId=1985>
                    > >click here
                    > >
                    > >[]

                    /group/new_distillers/

                    > > *
                    > > *
                    > > subject=Unsubscribe>new_distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
                    > >
                    > > *
                    > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
                    >

                    > Derek Hamlet
                    > Victoria, B. C.
                    > 592-8590

                    Message: 6
                    Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:07:03 -0800 (PST)
                    From: BOKAKOB

                    THREE METERS? I dont think it is a good coice. Four FEET seems work fine. If not you alsways can add more sections with a regular male-female couplers.

                    shinershane wrote:Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
                    using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                    double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                    before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
                    but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything higher
                    then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks

                    SS

                    ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                    I can be wrong I must say
                    Cheers, Alex...

                    Message: 7
                    Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 23:27:37 -0000
                    From: "watertrade2003"

                    Hi Shane,
                    Three meters is pretty big! � Although extra height does increase
                    the number of separations in a packed column you get most of your
                    returns from the first lower sections of your column � have a look
                    at the calculators at www.homedistiller.org you can get a rough
                    guess at the right size for you column
                    I've found that most people (the ones with big columns) don't go
                    much bigger than 1.5 meters and this is considered too big to some
                    people � Look at the amphora society PDA-1 they designed that unit
                    to be small and still produce very pure sprit
                    If I were you I would make the column somewhere between 1m and 1.5
                    meters long this size seems to be proven by a lot of people (and
                    keep the rest of your copper for your next still! - (if your like me
                    one just isn't enough)
                    I've just finished my 2nd still with a 1.2m column � VM head � my
                    first still was a 1.5m column � valved reflux head. I like the idea
                    of separating the vapour rather than the liquid � if you separate
                    the heads and have them sitting as liquid in the still waiting to be
                    bled off slowly and being sent back into the column as reflux you
                    will have to wait longer to get to the main run. � I think�. As the
                    heads are mixing with the good alcohol as liquid and contaminating
                    the clean product � hmmm � don't quote me on this!..
                    Cheers! -- good luck!
                    Jim

                    wrote:
                    > Hey fellow stillers, I am building a new set-up for outside. I am
                    > using a 40 Liter pot and it will be propane fired. I am using the
                    > double reducer system. Like to have your ideas on column height
                    > before I cut the pipe. Three Meters seems to be the common height,
                    > but I sure would like to hear from those who know. Is anything
                    higher
                    > then this just a waste? Is it at all fiesable to go higher? Thanks
                    >

                    > SS

                    ttp://archive.nnytech.net/

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/