Tails

  • daddyman00126
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
      Thanks

      I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on what to do with the
      tails. I might try to age a pint or two on heavy oak just to see what
      it will do but most of it will go to killing the ant piles that persist
      in my back yard.

      Understanding that heads and tails are used to bring corn hooch to that
      certain flavor before aging I now have a real taste of what tails can
      do in moderation. I can now see that their is a place for heads and
      tails in my future batches of corn whiskey that I will want to age on
      some good oak.

      I think that having some tails around left over from previous corn
      batches and doing a taste test of the tails before I start my blending
      process will give me a better idea of what I want out of the final
      batch after oaking. Now I can see why master blenders are worth their
      weight in gold.

      I am cerious though, is there a set amount of tails that go into
      finished spirit runs that the major distillers do. Like for every 25
      gallons of corn hooch they would put in 1 gallon of tails???
      What a good learning experence.

      The best for last
      BILL1BURP
    • gerryruiz1701
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2014

        Just to be 100% sure. there is no need to "cut" or throw out anything when running a batch of just the tails from previous runs, Right?

      • Douglas French
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 2, 2014
          I cut heads and tails when I rerun tails . It  Depends on the taste for me.

          Douglas French
          Caballeros, Inc./ Scorpion Mezcal sa de cv
          Oaxaca, Mexico
          Tel: 52-951-516-0654
          Destileria: 951-511-5701
          Cel: 951 508 1030
          www.scorpionmezcal.com
          www.oaxacanstuff.com
          Enviar factura o comprobante de pago a: scorpionfactura@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2014
            Agreed, go by taste.
          • hopefull romantic
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2014

              No save all your heads and tails till enough  and run them again taking out heads and tails which  and throw those out

            • edbar44
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4, 2014
                Is it really worth the effort? I save my tails and add them to the next wash I plan to distill, works fine. Unless you are using a very small apparatus, it would take a long time to get enough to distill on its own.