RE: [new_distillers] different colour wash after distilling

  • KM Services
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008

      Mate,

      Firstly you will get a better result using dextrose with turbo 23 secondly the reddish colour  in the wash can come from the use of certain refined sugars I recall reading sometime ago …part of the refining process, use good quality sugar. If this is in the distill it will certainly be un-fermented sugar in the wash burning as the yeast has died prior to consuming all the sugar, turbo 23 needs a simple sugar (Dextrose) to work best and you must use turbo clear…follow the instructions to the letter with that yeast

      Cheers

      Ken Mc

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008

        Firstly you will get a better result using dextrose with turbo 23 secondly the reddish colour  in the wash can come from the use of certain refined sugars I recall reading sometime ago …part of the refining process, use good quality sugar. If this is in the distill it will certainly be un-fermented sugar in the wash burning as the yeast has died prior to consuming all the sugar, turbo 23 needs a simple sugar (Dextrose) to work best and you must use turbo clear…follow the instructions to the letter with that yeast

         Foot Note: with Turbo23 there is a carbon liquid added to the wash to clean the wash as it violently ferments and it is extremely important to use turbo clear to settle not only the massive volume of yeast junk but the carbon that out as any nasties absorbed by the carbon are liberated when the wash is boiled

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
          thanks for your advise. i did use turbo clear but it still hadnt
          settled fully. i left it for 2 days before distilling.
          i forgot to check the sg reading before adding part A of the turbo. i
          still took a reading before adding part B and it did show the sugar
          hadnt fully fermented out but i thought the turbo clear might have
          affected the reading so i distilled it anyway.