different colour wash after distilling

  • sexgods2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
      after distilling a batch tonight i noticed the left over wash was a
      reddish brown colour when usually its been a murky light green colour.
      usually i use dextrose and still spirits turbo classic yeast.
      for the run i did today the wash was made with still spirits power23
      and normal white sugar.
      does anyone know if its normal for the wash to turn this colour when
      using the power23 yeast. if not what could have caused this.
      im thinking it could be burnt yeast cells that didnt settle out of the
      wash fully.
      im happy with the product came out at 92%
      please give your opinions. thanks
    • KM Services
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008

        Mate,

        Firstly you will get a better result using dextrose with turbo 23 secondly the reddish colour  in the wash can come from the use of certain refined sugars I recall reading sometime ago …part of the refining process, use good quality sugar. If this is in the distill it will certainly be un-fermented sugar in the wash burning as the yeast has died prior to consuming all the sugar, turbo 23 needs a simple sugar (Dextrose) to work best and you must use turbo clear…follow the instructions to the letter with that yeast

        Cheers

        Ken Mc

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008

          Firstly you will get a better result using dextrose with turbo 23 secondly the reddish colour  in the wash can come from the use of certain refined sugars I recall reading sometime ago …part of the refining process, use good quality sugar. If this is in the distill it will certainly be un-fermented sugar in the wash burning as the yeast has died prior to consuming all the sugar, turbo 23 needs a simple sugar (Dextrose) to work best and you must use turbo clear…follow the instructions to the letter with that yeast

           Foot Note: with Turbo23 there is a carbon liquid added to the wash to clean the wash as it violently ferments and it is extremely important to use turbo clear to settle not only the massive volume of yeast junk but the carbon that out as any nasties absorbed by the carbon are liberated when the wash is boiled

          Cheers

          Ken Mc

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 2, 2008
            thanks for your advise. i did use turbo clear but it still hadnt
            settled fully. i left it for 2 days before distilling.
            i forgot to check the sg reading before adding part A of the turbo. i
            still took a reading before adding part B and it did show the sugar
            hadnt fully fermented out but i thought the turbo clear might have
            affected the reading so i distilled it anyway.