Re: What to do with 1 1/2 gal of tails

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi

      I always recycle my heads and tails in the new spirits run, but once
      I did the unthinkable, oak age a mixture of heads and tails, they
      were at 75% ABV and after one month well, was somehow drinkable, not
      smooth of course. I now added more oak and is still aging, just for
      the sake of experimentation or for neighbors dying for at least a
      shot of hooch no matters what quality it is.

      A!

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
      > <daddyman00126@> wrote:
      > >
      > > The weeds get one last fling before they die. Hmmm good idea.
      > >
      > > Bill1burp
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"

      > > They
      > > > are
      > > with
      > > > them

      > > > It make great ant & weedkiller. :)
      > > >
      > > > Slainte!
      > > > regards Harry
      >
      > For a while there I was saving Heads and Tails in a jug Marked
      > Feints. After I had built up almost 3 gallons I decided to attempt
      > Reflux them into Something Drinkable. The Run yielded a gallon of
      92%
      > and I think I pulled off a good quart of heads. I stopped the Still
      > at 175F and Dumped the rest out of the boiler. Yes on an Ant Bed.
      > Although the stuff never gave me a headache or made me feel ill it
      did
      > not have even a remotely "neutral" taste even after several days of
      > aging and some aeration. I still have it aging in a dark corner
      and I
      > recently took the advice of aging it with the cap off and a piece of
      > felt rubber banded on top. We will have to see if that helps it. I
      > can say that I wont be bothering with the Tails anymore though. Not
      > worth the effort to recover that so called usable Alcohol. Just my 2
      > pennies.
      >
      > Mason

    • tim smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        Hi   been reading posts about feints.I like the rest of you have tried to get something worth drinking out of feints.With a grain mash i have good results with feints using a detuned reflux pda-1 type column.With a sugar wash , i can't get a quality product,so i don't save them in large quantity.I pour them into the next stripping run "on sugar washes only"
          later    Tim

        --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "rye_junkie1" <rye_junkie@ ...>