Re: Tails

  • castillo.alex2008
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2008
      Hi ddman

      In the mean time (while you get a bigger column for a bigger/better
      reflux) you may want to use some baking soda to get rid of the
      nasties (esters) that are giving you a hard time. A few tbs per
      stripped gallon is a begginning. Shake it well and let it be for a
      day or two, then do your spirits run as usual.

      Alex
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "daddyman00126"
      <daddyman00126@...> wrote:

      > Hello folks
      >
      > I have been doing this hobby for a while now. I have a few sugar
      and
      > corn runs under my belt. Since I started distilling I have saved my
      > heads and tails from all my batches. During my spirit runs I have
      > been adding my heads from previous runs back into the batch and
      > distilling normally, taking care of pulling my foreshots, heads
      > before I start to collecting the heart. After the heart I collect
      the
      > tails and set them aside.
      >
      > On my last sugar run I did the strip run that went normal like the
      > rest I have done in the past. I collect the low wines in my second
      > still and added water and about 400ml to 600ml of heads from
      previous
      > batches.
      >
      > The first time I did my strip run I had a cold. I was unable to
      smell
      > or taste my product during the run. So after a few days I got rid
      of
      > my cold and was able to taste my product. My god it tasted like
      crap.
      > FOOT in big bold black letters was all I could think of.
      >
      > I must have messed up during my strip run and got some tails into
      the
      > batch so I just set it aside and waited until I had time to do the
      > spirit run again.
      >
      > This weekend I did the spirit run again and this time I do not have
      > cold. I was able to get my still head up to about 177F where it set
      > for about 4 hours. My drip into my collection jar was about 4 to 6
      > drops per second. The column I have is a 2in by 2ft SS. I used
      copper
      > scrubbers packed into the column to get a bit of reflux.
      >
      > During the run I collected about 300ml of heads because I had added
      > about 400ml of heads to this run before I started. At about 183F I
      > had collected about 1.75L of 180 ABV. The next 300ml started
      tasting
      > like FOOT again so I started testing every 200ml so I could pin
      down
      > where my tails were comming in on my distillate.
      >
      > I pull about 600ml at 70 ABV that was not bad tasting but could be
      > carbon filtered and be ok for mixed beverage. The next 400ml
      smelled
      > like the big FOOT again, I checked my temp and I am setting at 187F.
      >
      > I decided to pull until I hit 190F. Within 5 minutes I had achieved
      > this and I shut down my still.
      >
      > Now for the questions.
      >
      > Why did I get the big bad FOOT so early in my distillate? Is it
      > because I have reran and reran my heads thru so many spirit runs?
      >
      > Any answers will be welcome.
      >
      > The best for last
      > BILL1BURP

    • daddyman00126
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 2, 2008
        Thanks

        I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on what to do with the
        tails. I might try to age a pint or two on heavy oak just to see what
        it will do but most of it will go to killing the ant piles that persist
        in my back yard.

        Understanding that heads and tails are used to bring corn hooch to that
        certain flavor before aging I now have a real taste of what tails can
        do in moderation. I can now see that their is a place for heads and
        tails in my future batches of corn whiskey that I will want to age on
        some good oak.

        I think that having some tails around left over from previous corn
        batches and doing a taste test of the tails before I start my blending
        process will give me a better idea of what I want out of the final
        batch after oaking. Now I can see why master blenders are worth their
        weight in gold.

        I am cerious though, is there a set amount of tails that go into
        finished spirit runs that the major distillers do. Like for every 25
        gallons of corn hooch they would put in 1 gallon of tails???
        What a good learning experence.

        The best for last
        BILL1BURP
      • gerryruiz1701
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2014

          Just to be 100% sure. there is no need to "cut" or throw out anything when running a batch of just the tails from previous runs, Right?

        • Douglas French
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 2, 2014
            I cut heads and tails when I rerun tails . It  Depends on the taste for me.

            Douglas French
            Caballeros, Inc./ Scorpion Mezcal sa de cv
            Oaxaca, Mexico
            Tel: 52-951-516-0654
            Destileria: 951-511-5701
            Cel: 951 508 1030
            www.scorpionmezcal.com
            www.oaxacanstuff.com
            Enviar factura o comprobante de pago a: scorpionfactura@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2, 2014
              Agreed, go by taste.
            • hopefull romantic
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 3, 2014

                No save all your heads and tails till enough  and run them again taking out heads and tails which  and throw those out

              • edbar44
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 4, 2014
                  Is it really worth the effort? I save my tails and add them to the next wash I plan to distill, works fine. Unless you are using a very small apparatus, it would take a long time to get enough to distill on its own.